Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Ireland

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Why is no one asking questions about him as he is really important to us and our future.
He has amazing facilities, really good new players yet we are bottom of the U21 league and just lost to Lewes.
What is going on at our club looks like failure is now acceptable.

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
So shall we just let everyone do what they want no matter results and just say don't worry its all good

Life would be so much easier that way but life is not like that and if you have a high profile important job you must do it to the best of your ability and if it does not work then in football you will get sacked.

Bear in mind that if he was doing well and winning matches etc. he would be loved by everyone and he would be enjoying the praise so you cant have it one way and not the other.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why is no one asking questions about him as he is really important to us and our future.
He has amazing facilities, really good new players yet we are bottom of the U21 league and just lost to Lewes.
What is going on at our club looks like failure is now acceptable.

oh dear!!!

Perhaps put it into context as the other posters have.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So shall we just let everyone do what they want no matter results and just say don't worry its all good

Life would be so much easier that way but life is not like that and if you have a high profile important job you must do it to the best of your ability and if it does not work then in football you will get sacked.

Bear in mind that if he was doing well and winning matches etc. he would be loved by everyone and he would be enjoying the praise so you cant have it one way and not the other.

That seeks to presume you know exactly what the problems are, where the problems lie, and what any given resolution to those problems is, and that - in this instance - Simon Ireland is the problem.

Do you know for a fact that this is the case, and do you know exactly what the resolution is - beyond blaming one person?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I forgot Lewes were in the premier league

But Lewes are a proper county team, with more experience, on their home ground.

We're second bottom of the u21 division but this our first season and we've only just got the facilities.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The only measurement for the U21 Manager is to produce players for the 1st Team.
He should only be judged on the number of players that progress into the 1st Team.

U21 results, SSC results are not important.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The only measurement for the U21 Manager is to produce players for the 1st Team.
He should only be judged on the number of players that progress into the 1st Team.

This. The average "lay" person finds it hard to understand though. Manchester United under Ferguson made an art form of player development with no emphasis on team results until 1st XI.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Having sat behind the Albion dugout at Lewes last night I do have a degree of sympathy with the OP.

The team lacked a sense of direction in how to play, purpose and urgency and there was an element of going through the motions. I know the policy is to play to a pattern, results don't really matter, it's performances that do etc. etc. I agree with this to an extent, but there are times when you have to grow up, dig in and learn to be winners. It's sometimes referred to as 'earning the right to play'. At no point last night did Simon indicate this was what was required. Against other youth teams, who are essentially playing to the same principles, this is perhaps less relevant. But as we want to grow players for the first team, I would argue they need the technical ability AND the will to work hard and win, to succeed.

So, I'm happy to give Simon time for now but will be interested to see how they get on against Arsenal at the Amex and for the rest of the season.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but not one of last night's team stood out as prospects for the first team. As the Lewes crowd chorused, perhaps harshly, "Championship, you're having a larf.."

PG

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Because the U21 side have just taken a big step up the the leagues to be playing Prem clubs so it's enviable that they will find it tough.

This should be obvious. The DS hasn't taken on a significant number of new players has it, apart from Toko (joke).

The U18s are however doing very well. A poster on another thread about the academy (@hillian ??) implied that a load of last year's U16s had been let go and replaced by players recruited from further afield. This would make sense given that the U18s are adapting to life in the top academy league much better. Maybe the plan is to strengthen from U16 upwards with the hope that these players will strengthen the U21s in a year or 2 and hopefully a couple will make it to the senior squad in 3-4 years.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Honestly, I'm staggered at the ability of some to find new things to slate about the club on a day to day basis.

Even more impressive is the way it's often twisted into being a representation of just how much they care and only want the best for the club, if only others could see it their way.

The argument could be made (and I am) that those who are solely obsessed with success, seeing anything less as abject failure, are more like the 'customers' that they often disparage than supporters.

Things aren't perfect right now, very few would disagree with that, but it's not a disaster is it? How about having a little faith (or 'supporting' as it's known) instead, you'll find life a lot less stressful.

*deep breath*

Edit; Amazingly, forgot to actually post what was originally intended, so; Amazing facilties guarantee as much immediate success as a new stadium does, which is none. Give it a few years to see what comes of our youth teams, as in U16 and down (and whether any progress to the 1st team), before starting to write it off. U21 leagues would be lovely to win, but player progression is surely the main aim?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I agree with this to an extent, but there are times when you have to grow up, dig in and learn to be winners. It's sometimes referred to as 'earning the right to play'.
There must be no sugar-coating of poor performance but an overrating of physical effort by young players is one of the reasons England produces relatively few technically brilliant footballers...

I know that you covered your bases by talking about "technical ability AND the will to work hard" but your post could be (mis)interpreted as rather "old school".

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There must be no sugar-coating of poor performance but an overrating of physical effort by young players is one of the reasons England produces relatively few technically brilliant footballers...

I know that you covered your bases by talking about "technical ability AND the will to work hard" but your post could be (mis)interpreted as rather "old school".

Work rate and application will always be current, dont let anyone tell you different ......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here