Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England world cup boycott on 2018 / 22, anyone up for it?

England World Cup Boycott?

• Stupid idea it will do nothing but damage us?

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • We may as well, FIFA can stick it

Votes: 105 78.4%

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not overly surprised at today's outcome and a little dig at England thrown in.

If only the FA could get a couple of major countries on board and start a boycott...

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Might as well boycott. We certainly won't be winning anything any time soon so it's the perfect time. Amazing at how blatant the back handers are yet supposedly England are coming out of the bid as the bad guys.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Too right. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for a start. And Gibraltar. Don't forget Gibraltar.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just been reading some of the report - it is hilarious. Fifa must be the most arrogant and irony-free organisation in history, and I just hope it is an English journalist that finally brings the house down one day.

I would add that I don't think the FA are entirely blame-free, and some of the things they did to get votes from scum like Warner were ill-advised and even embarrassing, even if they thought that was the bare minimum they had to do.

But they have at least played ball with the inquiry while others potentially with a lot more to hide have not. Russia: "We lost all our emails in a computer fire." Come on!

If the investigation is so weak and toothless given that response it then shrugs its shoulders and says '"Oh, never mind, all right then" it is worthless as an exercise.

We all knew this 'independent' inquiry would not do anything about Qatar and Russia, but Blatter obviously felt that wasn't enough and wanted to make England the villains.

It's like jailing someone for a parking violation while the gangsters are let off with a slap on the wrist.

I'm a big believer in life that if people take the piss enough then sooner or later you have to take a stand rather than let them walk over you, and that time must be very close over a boycott of Fifa.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hopefully the press have some more dirt and the Premier League (arrogant but at least not corrupt) will make 2022 organising hell.

If we boycott Russia it will be seen as sour grapes even if it isn't, but perhaps 2022..

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The report is about as shameless a whitewash as you can possibly get, it is utterly hilarious. Hopefully the US Tax investigation and Chuck Blazer's whistle blowing will finally see some of these officials get brought to heel.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really don't give a stuff about international football anymore. FIFA are a disgrace. If Blatter ruled a country then Obama, Merkel etc would be up in arms. As it is, they rule something too nebulous, with no borders, but arguably as influential as any country.

If we said we wanted nothing to do with it, then I'd be delighted.

Unfortunately, we'd probably get chucked out of UEFA as well so would lose any opportunity to participate in the European Championships. Then we'd lose the Champions League places for domestic teams. Then the Premier League would get involved etc etc.

So, whilst the heart says yes, the head knows it is 'no'.

I'll just stop watching. That's all I can do.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
i really don't give a stuff about international football anymore. Fifa are a disgrace. If blatter ruled a country then obama, merkel etc would be up in arms. As it is, they rule something too nebulous, with no borders, but arguably as influential as any country.

If we said we wanted nothing to do with it, then i'd be delighted.

Unfortunately, we'd probably get chucked out of uefa as well so would lose any opportunity to participate in the european championships. Then we'd lose the champions league places for domestic teams. Then the premier league would get involved etc etc.

So, whilst the heart says yes, the head knows it is 'no'.

I'll just stop watching. That's all i can do.

this

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just been reading some of the report - it is hilarious. Fifa must be the most arrogant and irony-free organisation in history, and I just hope it is an English journalist that finally brings the house down one day.

I would add that I don't think the FA are entirely blame-free, and some of the things they did to get votes from scum like Warner were ill-advised and even embarrassing, even if they thought that was the bare minimum they had to do.

But they have at least played ball with the inquiry while others potentially with a lot more to hide have not. Russia: "We lost all our emails in a computer fire." Come on!

If the investigation is so weak and toothless given that response it then shrugs its shoulders and says '"Oh, never mind, all right then" it is worthless as an exercise.

We all knew this 'independent' inquiry would not do anything about Qatar and Russia, but Blatter obviously felt that wasn't enough and wanted to make England the villains.

It's like jailing someone for a parking violation while the gangsters are let off with a slap on the wrist.

I'm a big believer in life that if people take the piss enough then sooner or later you have to take a stand rather than let them walk over you, and that time must be very close over a boycott of Fifa.

I am sure that in one of the Panorama programmes there was talk that in order to get Warner and his block vote on board there would have to be sweeteners or the FA wouldn't have a sniff, at that point they were only playing FIFA at their own game.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am sure that in one of the Panorama programmes there was talk that in order to get Warner and his block vote on board there would have to be sweeteners or the FA wouldn't have a sniff, at that point they were only playing FIFA at their own game.

I'm absolutely sure you're right, that IS what they were doing. But having done it, on however low a level, it makes it harder to take the moral high ground afterwards when you've lost.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm absolutely sure you're right, that IS what they were doing. But having done it, on however low a level, it makes it harder to take the moral high ground afterwards when you've lost.

True, but the alternative at that point in time was to say that the bidding process was corrupt and blow the whistle then we would have effectively ruled ourselves out of getting a sniff of any tournament while the rest of the world carried on with the bribes and junkets. There was/is no easy way round it. As posted earlier hopefully Chuck Blazer will squeal like a pig and expose the lot of them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
True, but the alternative at that point in time was to say that the bidding process was corrupt and blow the whistle then we would have effectively ruled ourselves out of getting a sniff of any tournament while the rest of the world carried on with the bribes and junkets. There was/is no easy way round it. As posted earlier hopefully Chuck Blazer will squeal like a pig and expose the lot of them.

Maybe that's what they should have done. But the whole thing is so f***ed up. Lord Triesman has been attacked in the report for not co-operating with the inquiry. But he was being SUED FOR LIBEL at the time by one of the Fifa Exco after highlighting some of his more outrageous demands in the bidding process. That case came to nothing, funnily enough. But why would you deal with people who were (wrongly) suing you?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Not overly surprised at today's outcome and a little dig at England thrown in.

If only the FA could get a couple of major countries on board and start a boycott...

Surely, you can't seriously imagine that Blatter, Platini, their cronies or the rest of the footy world would give a poo if we didn't turn up. We would just be further labelled with being 'has been Prima Donnas'.
We are currently ranked 20th in the World below ..Algeria, Greece and Ukraine. It would be just about as meaningful as us devistating the Tennis World by pulling out of The Davis Cup. :rolleyes:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
if the world cup gets moved to the winter I can see the PL, Bundesliga and La Liga encouraging a boycott. The top league clubs have a lot of power now and they clearly have no love for the international game, if there was to be any serious pressure I would expect it to come from the top clubs rather than national associations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here