Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee advice

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Okay so I've just purchased a coffee machine.

Predominately so I can get my Americano fix without having to pop to Starbucks.

Now I'm after some coffee advice.

Firstly what type of ground coffee is best for the perfect Americano? Mild, medium or dark?

Any particular blends I need to consider as well?

The stuff I bought today from John Lewis (for convenience only) isn't great and to be honest didn't differ too much from just boiling the kettle.

In a nutshell despite my love of coffee when it comes to making it I don't have a clue.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Firstly what type of ground coffee is best for the perfect Americano? Mild, medium or dark?

The stuff I bought today from John Lewis (for convenience only) isn't great and to be honest didn't differ too much from just boiling the kettle.

In a nutshell despite my love of coffee when it comes to making it I don't have a clue.

:facepalm:

I love coffee, I've got a tassimo for convenience but if I'm having a morning with my feet up and a bit of world cinema I use a perculator, fill the ****ing thing up with strongest I can buy then drink it till my head hurts. If you take milk or sugar then this conversation is over.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mellow Birds - it's indescribable

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Taylor Street Baristas run a home barista course, which is excellent. I don't know whether the one in Brighton hosts the courses though as the one I went on was in London. A word of warning though, after going on the course you'll never drink cheap, nasty coffee again (incl the likes of Starbucks) and you'll want to spend loads on your own kit. It's essentially a one-way ticket to coffee snobbery, but it's great!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've found that Batch Coffee up in Seven Dials do some lovely stuff for me and my cafetière. Plus you're buying local which is a nice smug feeling. Not that that bothers me much!!!!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Get a Moka pot

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've just given it up completely. Caffeine is bad for you but at the same time contributes nothing positive. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sometimes go to a place called The Barn. It's a very clean concrete and glass coffee hipster coffee house which takes the drink to a new level. It's like the meth-lab in Breaking Bad and they make their drinks using the japanese things which keep the water a constant and specific tempature and ensure the coffee is distributed through the liquid consistently.

The other news worthy items are that they have banned phones, laptops and children. On this latter point they even have a bollard on the door (complete with crossed out babybuggy sign) so that strollers and prams cannot get through. It's interesting how people seem quite supportive of the phones/laptop ban but have kicked up a fuss about the kids ban.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Redroaster on St James's Street is where I always go, they have a decent selection from around the World. It has always been roasted in the last few days and they can grind it for you.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've found that Batch Coffee up in Seven Dials do some lovely stuff for me and my cafetière. Plus you're buying local which is a nice smug feeling. Not that that bothers me much!!!!

Small Batch coffee serves excellent stuff, and it's all roasted in their place next to Hove Station, hence their top-selling 'Goldstone Espresso'. Their coffee beans / ground coffee are a bit more expensive (alright, a lot more) than supermarket stuff, but for us it's our treat, and we feel it's worth it.

Back to the OP, we prefer a particular type of coffee, Ethiopian Yrgacheffe, from wherever we can get it - usually somewhere like Small Batch. I don't know whether that's good for an Americano (that's the beverage formerly known as 'filter coffee', right?), but the way we have ours (half hot milk, half strong coffee) the Yrgacheffe is great.

All I would say to the OP is try them out until you find one you really like.

Blimey, what a perfumed ponce.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We have recently purchased a De Longhi coffee machine, and were using Lavazza strong ground coffee.
As it is quite expensive, we have tried various other brands, but now use Sainsburys own 'double dark' fairtrade ground coffee...number 6
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here