Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film shows Nigel Farage calling for move away from state-funded NHS

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Oh jesus christ, media's acting like UKIP's some new political party that has just emerged. They've been saying this for absolutely ages, they've never hidden the idea of a privatised healthcare system...

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Expect to see a number of negative UKIP threads on message boards like this one leading up to the election. Activists from each of the traditional parties will be posting negative stories everywhere they can between now and then. I'm looking forward to seeing which party offers the most realistically positive message...wouldn't that be something?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Haven't UKIP changed their policy on NHS privatisation to match the Conservatives ie claim they will protect the NHS but allow privatisation by stealth through the back door ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One of the big myths of the NHS is that it's not already largely privatised e.g. Buildings, services, labour force...it's nearly all in private hands already. I am by no means exceptionally well informed to debate the NHS but I do wish the Great British Public would at least try and scratch the surface before joining in with the country's favourite political football match. The rhetoric that goes with the NHS is appallingly one sided at times when basically we all need to pay more for it. After all, what's more important than your health?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Because the NHS is such a marvelously run organization.

D

Deleted member 22389

Expect to see a number of negative UKIP threads on message boards like this one leading up to the election. Activists from each of the traditional parties will be posting negative stories everywhere they can between now and then. I'm looking forward to seeing which party offers the most realistically positive message...wouldn't that be something?

I quite agree, whether it will work is another question. I didn't last time and just ending up backfiring.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Haven't UKIP changed their policy on NHS privatisation to match the Conservatives ie claim they will protect the NHS but allow privatisation by stealth through the back door ?

No change at all - they made their policy perfectly clear in their 2010 manifesto:-

"Encourage County Health Boards to put out to tender key NHS services ranging from Long Term Care to local hospitals and GP surgeries. This will be done by franchising key services run on a fixed budget to charitable associations, not-for-profit and profit-making private companies, partnerships and individuals."

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge10/man/parties/UKIPManifesto2010.pdf

D

Deleted member 22389

One of the big myths of the NHS is that it's not already largely privatised e.g. Buildings, services, labour force...it's nearly all in private hands already. I am by no means exceptionally well informed to debate the NHS but I do wish the Great British Public would at least try and scratch the surface before joining in with the country's favourite political football match. The rhetoric that goes with the NHS is appallingly one sided at times when basically we all need to pay more for it. After all, what's more important than your health?

If you look at who cleans our hospitals that job is being run by a private company. For the life of me I don't know why something as important as cleaning especially in a hospital is being run by a private company in the first place, but there you go, and your right we all need be paying a little bit more for it, and stop wasting money.

D

Deleted member 22389

No change at all - they made their policy perfectly clear in their 2010 manifesto:-

"Encourage County Health Boards to put out to tender key NHS services ranging from Long Term Care to local hospitals and GP surgeries. This will be done by franchising key services run on a fixed budget to charitable associations, not-for-profit and profit-making private companies, partnerships and individuals."

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge10/man/parties/UKIPManifesto2010.pdf

Is this not the same sort of thing that has already happened.

http://www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/2013/03/sodexo-wins-northern-devon-nhs-contract/

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you look at who cleans our hospitals that job is being run by a private company. For the life of me I don't know why something as important as cleaning especially in a hospital is being run by a private company in the first place, but there you go, and your right we all need be paying a little bit more for it, and stop wasting money.

Yep, I know. Sodexo being a main one. Not just stadium catering!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Because the NHS is such a marvelously run organization.

Hello again!
I am not sure if this post is sarcastic or not??! Inevitably, the issue of whether it is run as well as this says, depends on your experience. My mother suffers with Dementia, and I have repeatedly asked the clinic to stop sending medication to the local chemist and I would email them for repeat prescriptions, which worked well at the onset of the disease. Now, it just keeps coming, and yesterday on another mission to the chemist, they handed me 4 months worth, which now joins the year's supply I already have. Similarly, a friend of mine(written with his permission) has a condition needing steroids, with the intention of gradually reducing the dosage; as this can then become complicated, he writes a note calculating exactly what he needs to accompany the request for medication -this is virtually always ignored with the result that 4 packs of tablets have had to be thrown away, as the chemist will not take anything back, even if clearly unopened. When I tackled my GP about this, his attitude was that the NHS is in his words "an incredibly inefficient organisation".

That having been said, my treatment at the Conquest Hospital in Hastings on the occasion of a hip replacement was excellent and on the medical side, I could not fault it. Yes, the NHS undoubtedly came up trumps, as it also did when I called for an ambulance a couple of years ago for my mum. But having had experience for many years with the German system, which was superb, I imagine that people in other countries are similarly impressed with a different approach. This is not to say that we should do away with the NHS, which has done much good -just that for all its merits, it may not necessarily be the best system that we could go for, and we should keep an open mind.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Was it posted by an 'activisit'? It was posted by a journalist from the Guardian. If you are arguing that any journalist who posts something of a political nature must be an 'activist', then I assume this also applies to all the journalists who work for the overwhelmingly right-wing press we have in this country.

There will be lots of mud-slinging going on between all parties, why on earth should UKIP be immune to this?

They seem to have one policy. It's about time their views on all matters APART from immigration were made public so that people know what they are actually voting for.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Let me get this right - a two year old video appears in on a LEFT wing newspaper website about a RIGHT wing political party and you take what is in that video as gospel truth ? :facepalm:

I'm sure if I could be bothered I could find video clips of Blair promising that there would be a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty or that there were WMDs in Iraq. Maybe I could find a video of CMD promising no top down re-organisation of the NHS or even Clegg promising to scrap tuition fees.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-farage-insurance-based-nhs-private-companies

:tosser:[/

It may have escaped you but he is a politician, if you don't like what he advocates don't vote for him..........that's democracy right?

Another politician once said......

We decide on something, leave it lying around and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back.”

http://www.economist.com/node/1325309

He now wields more power than our democratically elected Government, what can I do about him?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
last time i checked, the NHS was supposed to be funded through an insurance based system...

more interesting in the video was the points on workers (adjusting workplace legislation according to company size) and foreign aid (removing tariffs to promote trade), because im not sure who would disagree, and why?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Indeed but it is actually outsourced rather than privatised but that word of course doesn't have the same power of fear or anger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here