Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tony Bloom letting his heart rule his head over Sami?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Tony Bloom is a very very clever business man, but because he is stinking rich, that doesn't mean his football knowledge compares to his fortune.

Unfortunately I think he is letting his heart rule his head on this issue.

THe chairman has once again stated he thinks the squad is capable of the play offs, so that leaves one set of people to blame for the current position.

Not one Sami Hyypia supporter can deny his side is driving away supporters in their thousands.

If this continues, we could be down 10,000 fans next season (fans who buy tickets and not turning up now, will not continue to buy tickets and not turn up next season), say spending an average of £30 a game over a 23 game home season, thats close of £7m in lost revenue.

Let just hope with the new FFP limits, Tony Bloom will make up that short fall, although I'd rather he change the manager now with someone experienced at this level, and if we don't go up this season (still think we can make the play offs with the right man in charge of the team), we can potentially have the lost fans, and Blooms money in the kitty. I think with an experienced manager in charge, this squad can make the play offs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tony Bloom is a very very clever business man, but because he is stinking rich, that doesn't mean his football knowledge compares to his fortune.

Unfortunately I think he is letting his heart rule his head on this issue.

THe chairman has once again stated he thinks the squad is capable of the play offs, so that leaves one set of people to blame for the current position.

Not one Sami Hyypia supporter can deny his side is driving away supporters in their thousands.

If this continues, we could be down 10,000 fans next season (fans who buy tickets and not turning up now, will not continue to buy tickets and not turn up next season), say spending an average of £30 a game over a 23 game home season, thats close of £7m in lost revenue.

Let just hope with the new FFP limits, Tony Bloom will make up that short fall, although I'd rather he change the manager now with someone experienced at this level, and if we don't go up this season (still think we can make the play offs with the right man in charge of the team), we can potentially have the lost fans, and Blooms money in the kitty. I think with an experienced manager in charge, this squad can make the play offs.

Or are many of us letting our hearts rule our heads in believing 3 months is enough time to judge the success of a manager? ???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I doubt it, I think he is a very clever business man and they don't tend to let their heart rule their head.

I suspect that he well knows that you can't blame Sami for the abject recruitment of players and that now FFP has been loosened he can spend some money in January more wisely with closer consulation with Sami and everything will once again be rosey in the garden again.

There we have it, an optimistic post. Amazing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I doubt it, I think he is a very clever business man and they don't tend to let their heart rule their head.

I suspect that he well knows that you can't blame Sami for the abject recruitment of players and that now FFP has been loosened he can spend some money in January more wisely with closer consulation with Sami and everything will once again be rosey in the garden again.

The FFP amount hasn't been loosened for this season. I also noticed a post by ChaileyJem on another thread, that Tony Bloom has said the salaries this season are higher than they've ever been.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...uad-quot-strong-enough-to-reach-the-play-offs

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yep, I'm going to join you in that

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When you consider the meaning of businessman I wonder why people are in awe.

Noun 1. businessman - a person engaged in commercial or industrial business (especially an owner or executive)businessman - a person engaged in commercial or industrial business (especially an owner or executive)
man of affairs
amalgamator - a businessman who arranges an amalgamation of two or more commercial companies
arb, arbitrager, arbitrageur - someone who engages in arbitrage (who purchases securities in one market for immediate resale in another in the hope of profiting from the price differential)
big businessman, business leader, magnate, top executive, tycoon, baron, mogul, king, power - a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"
bourgeois, businessperson - a capitalist who engages in industrial commercial enterprise
suit - (slang) a businessman dressed in a business suit; "all the suits care about is the bottom line"
syndicator - a businessman who forms a syndicate

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He's hardly going to slaughter him in the Argus or leave any uncertainty in his level of support for him, whether he sees SH as a long term prospect or not. Personally I'm quite pleased that TB is sticking to his ways of doing things and not folding due to public demands for SH's head on a plate. I don't see us going down and if SH turns it round he may turn out to be a good manager. OK, it's not brilliant for the fans at the moment, and maybe TB has over egged our performances to date, but we've had more years of success since Gillingham than we have had in our history, so I don't think we have a lot to complain about overall.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
You can clearly see from Blooms tenure at the club that he's not about the short term and knee jerk reactions so in this case his head is very definitely ruling his heart.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How many so called clever business men have proved to be totally inept over football matters ? What is Bloom's great football knowledge that makes him make such bold statements about Hyppia ?

I think in this particular instance TB's bold statement is setting himself up for a fail.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
You can clearly see from Blooms tenure at the club that he's not about the short term and knee jerk reactions so in this case his head is very definitely ruling his heart.

Tell that to Russell Slade, joined March 2009 saved the club from relegation. Given a two year contract in May 2009 and sacked in November 2009 after being manager for a total 32 games.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We look like the away side in the second half of the last few home games which is not the mark of a good manager.

Strangely enough, the chap sitting next to me said the same against Blackburn, and on reflection, he did have a point. We were the team which had break-aways, not that invariably they came to much. Normally, you could say that this was because of the quality of the opposition, and they did indeed dominate, but looking at the table, particularly in Wigan's case, it is a rather sad state of affairs.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Blame Sami for the abject recruitment??? Didn't he say he think we have a squad capable of the play offs. That doesn't for one second suggest he thinks recruitment has been abject.

Lets hope he doesn;t loosen the purse strings to much this season, as we may find ourselves with a transfer embargo next season.

Optimistic post? Blind optimisation I'd say. So, Tony BLoom said we have a good enough sqaud for the play offs, so you think he will throw money at it in January and make us fail FFP. Go and have a sit down in a darken room, and have a long serious word with yourself!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
How many so called clever business men have proved to be totally inept over football matters ? What is Bloom's great football knowledge that makes him make such bold statements about Hyppia ?
Exactly. As a business man, anyone questioning Tony Bloom credentials is an idiot.

But as a football chairman, whilst he can throw as many 10 of millions at the clubs as he wants, doesn't suddenly make him a genius about football. If he has enjoyed what he sees over the past couple of seasons, then fantastic. The dropping would suggest he's one of a few, so time for business man Tony, to have a word with Football man Tony, and do something to stop it.

Nearly eveyone who I know who cancelled their season ticket last season, stated the reason why they cancelled is because they were not enjoying it. It was boring and not value for money. These are football fans, some of whom now enjoy the local football scene.

People were giving up season tickets when we where pushing for the play offs and winning games because they where not seeing entertainment.

Imagine what will happen this season if we stay where we are and continue to produce the Entertainment value we are seeing? 7000 people stayed away for Wigan, thousands for Blackburn, how many of these will buy season tickets next season?

How many of the 16000 who bothered to turn up, will still buy a season ticket next season?

If that is the case it may even be better for us to go down, and draw the crowds back by storming league one as Wolves did.

The club has proven it can fill the Amex. The supporters are out there. What it has failed to do is retain them, and that is 100% down to the performance on the pitch.

Now if Blooms keeping Sami on, and backing him like this, as someone as already said in this thread, he could setting himself up for a major fall.

If the performances continue like they are, I would be be surprised to see a sub 14k bums of seats attendence this season. If that happens, we are totally screwed next season, because their will be little chance of us meeting FFP target, and if Bloom continues to throw money at the club like he is, it is just going to be throwing good money after bad money, and will Tony Bloom business man, do that?

What I saw at the start of the season was a team dominating games and not getting a result.

What I see for the past couple of months is a team struggling for ideas, a team struggling to create good goalscoring chances for their strikers, and a team struggling to hang on to points against the likes of Wigan, Blackpool and Rotherham.

Now if Tony Bloom sees something promising and progessive in what he sees, then fair play to him, its his money he's throwing around and can do what he likes.

A great business man.... absolutely, one of the best

A great football knowledge man..... no chance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here