Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Sami is here to stay...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Then Burke must go!!!

Let Sami find his own targets rather than have someone hand him a load of dross (most of which don't even start the matches) to work with.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Or maybe just keep both and let Sami have a greater say in what players to sign ? Simple.

Well, thats another anti-Burke campaign shot down fairly quickly.......

Question - who signed both Bennetts, Teixeira, Gardner, McCourt who are decent for us at present......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Or maybe just keep both and let Sami have a greater say in what players to sign ? Simple.

Well, thats another anti-Burke campaign shot down fairly quickly.......

Question - who signed both Bennetts, Teixeira, Gardner, McCourt who are decent for us at present......

both Bennetts - 1 is a one month loan and the other not as good as Ward who would have been permanent

Teixeira - came because of Sami

Gardner - not bothered and un-creative

McCourt - can only be used off the bench

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
both Bennetts - 1 is a one month loan and the other not as good as Ward who would have been permanent

Gardner - not bothered an un-creative

Id suggest 2 goals in 2 games, the games which earned us 4 crucial points, suggest otherwise for Gardner. Where is the proof on Teixeira RE Sami, also, you still need to agree terms which Burke clearly did. The Bennetts were key in the last 2 games, Elliott may well stay longer too.

Either way, if Sami isnt getting a full say then thats something that does need changing.....not to mention it shifts more pressure onto him as well. No question Burke is the negotiator though and has clearly done well when you look at some of the players we signed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let Sami find his own targets

I'm sorry but I just don't think this is workable for Sami or any other manager from the Championship upwards.

It's not like the 1980s where the accessible pool of talent was that much smaller, largely based around the UK football leagues and old division 2 clubs would rarely have any foreign players.

Today, it's a global market for players and a manager who is hands on with training and developing a squad day to day just does not have the time to be able to assess players across that whole market.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Id suggest 2 goals in 2 games, the games which earned us 4 crucial points, suggest otherwise for Gardner. Where is the proof on Teixeira RE Sami, also, you still need to agree terms which Burke clearly did. The Bennetts were key in the last 2 games, Elliott may well stay longer too.

Either way, if Sami isnt getting a full say then thats something that does need changing.....not to mention it shifts more pressure onto him as well. No question Burke is the negotiator though and has clearly done well when you look at some of the players we signed.

Teixeira - stories at the time
Hyypia spotted this, got on the phone to former team-mate Steven Gerrard and the player agreed to head south for the season
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-line-Liverpool-impressing-loan-Brighton.html

Gardner has been crap apart from those 2 goals, both of which were slotting in shots from close range. I said he was un-creative because he is. A midfield 3 of Gardner, JFC and Ince is just flat, there is no flair, nothing different.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sorry but I just don't think this is workable for Sami or any other manager from the Championship upwards.

It's not like the 1980s where the accessible pool of talent was that much smaller, largely based around the UK football leagues and old division 2 clubs would rarely have any foreign players.

Today, it's a global market for players and a manager who is hands on with training and developing a squad day to day just does not have the time to be able to assess players across that whole market.

In principle you're right. A scouting/recruitment team is needed in modern football, but it needs to be a team complimenting the manager. Not doing the choosing FOR them.

When the team you're paying come up with Leroy Lita, John Obika and Chris O'grady as striking options(i'm unwilling to put Baldock in there), it starts to make me doubt whether the personel are correct.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Teixeira - stories at the time
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-line-Liverpool-impressing-loan-Brighton.html

Gardner has been crap apart from those 2 goals, both of which were slotting in shots from close range. I said he was un-creative because he is. A midfield 3 of Gardner, JFC and Ince is just flat, there is no flair, nothing different.

Fair enough then for Teixeira, but terms still need to be agreed, which Burke ultimately did. Someone must have found him too - ah yes, probably Burke and his team.

Personally I couldnt care how goals are scored, the fact his goals got us the 4 points (as otherwise we would currently be 2nd from bottom). Sami cant do all the work of signing the players but he clearly needs more input on that front. Once targets are identified, Burke should go out and do the negotiations, which means Sami can stick to the important task of actually working with the team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Fair enough then for Teixeira, but terms still need to be agreed, which Burke ultimately did. Someone must have found him too - ah yes, probably Burke and his team.

Personally I couldnt care how goals are scored, the fact his goals got us the 4 points (as otherwise we would currently be 2nd from bottom). Sami cant do all the work of signing the players but he clearly needs more input on that front. Once targets are identified, Burke should go out and do the negotiations, which means Sami can stick to the important task of actually working with the team.

Read the Mail article. It's clear Hyypia identified Teixeira.

This is a bit of a continuation of another thread but basically Poyet was much more involved in player recruitment than Oscar. I would like to see a return to the Poyet balance. It might be there now but it wasn't in the summer. Hyypia is a "name" in the sport the way Gus was. We should use that. I'm not suggetsing like the OP that we ditch the system but that we ramp up the manager's say if we haven't already.

Goals? We don't score enough of them. That is due to our uncreative midfield, tiny strikers and the fact that our heads drop the instant we concede an equaliser.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The manager simply cannot find, scout and sign players like they used to. The pool of talent being looked at stretches far and wide. Too far and wide for the manager to devote substantial time to assessing.

The game has developed rapidly in recent years in terms of player recruitment. I would be surprised if there was a single Championship club without a David Burke type figure.

Also, we shouldn't forget, a big part of David Burke's job is in developing other aspects and he was instrumental in the success of the training ground.

It isn't as simple as: "Sack Burke and let Sami sign the players."

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Read the Mail article. It's clear Hyypia identified Teixeira.

This is a bit of a continuation of another thread but basically Poyet was much more involved in player recruitment than Oscar. I would like to see a return to the Poyet balance. It might be there now but it wasn't in the summer. Hyypia is a "name" in the sport the way Gus was. We should use that. I'm not suggetsing like the OP that we ditch the system but that we ramp up the manager's say if we haven't already.

Goals? We don't score enough of them. That is due to our uncreative midfield, tiny strikers and the fact that our heads drop the instant we concede an equaliser.

Yes, but the player still needs to be bloody signed !! Burke did this, hence why we do actually need him.

A return to the "Poyet balance" is needed - the players we signed when Poyet and Burke were here were decent (though we were paying a fair bit). The goals issue is down to not having a prolific striker, but if Gardner and Dunk keep scoring and if it somehow gets us good results, then i wont be massively disappointed with it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The manager simply cannot find, scout and sign players like they used to. The pool of talent being looked at stretches far and wide. Too far and wide for the manager to devote substantial time to assessing.

The game has developed rapidly in recent years in terms of player recruitment. I would be surprised if there was a single Championship club without a David Burke type figure.

Also, we shouldn't forget, a big part of David Burke's job is in developing other aspects and he was instrumental in the success of the training ground.

But that was a positive for us, so Burke won't get the credit for it. Only the bad things, rememeber.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

But that was a positive for us, so Burke won't get the credit for it. Only the bad things, rememeber.

It's a massive positive but could it not be argued that in delivering the training ground David Burke took his eye off the ball with regards to recruitment?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a massive positive but could it not be argued that in delivering the training ground David Burke took his eye off the ball with regards to recruitment?

That's the frustrating thing - no-one knows (well, apart from the obvious) so it's all speculation. We could argue until the cows come home.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
1) Chairman says that Sami is here for the foreseeable.
2) It is clear that something is not working well with player recruitment , Sami admits he does not know if we will get a striker.....
3) Sami could not spend all his time scouting & haggling with agents.
Solution? ". Change their levels of seniority, have Burke answer to Sami who then has control and responsibility within pre agreed budgets . If Burke does not accept it? ......no one is indispensable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
That's the frustrating thing - no-one knows (well, apart from the obvious) so it's all speculation. We could argue until the cows come home.

No argument there! Speculation is what NSC excels at.

Obviously I'm now going to do some further speculating. With the training ground delivered and Sami getting more experience, plus the proposed changes to FFP we might see quite a lot of activity between now and end of January.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Gardner - not bothered and un-creative

Have to disagree can you remember the last time we were exposed on the left and conceded a goal? Joe Bennett is PL quality.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In principle you're right. A scouting/recruitment team is needed in modern football, but it needs to be a team complimenting the manager. Not doing the choosing FOR them.

When the team you're paying come up with Leroy Lita, John Obika and Chris O'grady as striking options(i'm unwilling to put Baldock in there), it starts to make me doubt whether the personel are correct.

Quite. NSC could genuinely come up with plenty of better targets than those, and just as realistic wages/availability-wise. And that's scary.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here