Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is 4 League wins in the last 29 games Good enough?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Colunga's been very harshly treated, finally scored against B'muff and put his best performance in an Albion shirt to date in, hasn't got a look in since. Bizarre.

Two words that fill me with dread. Squad rotation.

That is the nub of why I hate it (unless we are in the Europa leage or something) have a good game, get dropped to be replaced by someone else. Strikers are confidence players they need a run of games not in and out of the side. If they are still sh1t after a run then change them.

It hides behind the I dont know my best team. Annoying.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
hyypia will stay (for the time being).he can count himself very lucky that bloom and the albion board are patient.at another club (blackpool,leeds,birmingham he would have been gone by now).think the board see it as a long term project,hyypia will be given time (possibly 2 or 3 years).,unless it goes terribly wrong and we look like getting relegated.think we have enough in the tank to stave off relegation,would say it looks like a finish of mid-table/lower mid-table (somewhere like 12th to 16th).

Fully agree that he is rather lucky and TB does seem to be showing support, though even with this declaration of support, I am sure that if results nose-dive even more, then that patience may well run out? At the back of my mind, also, is the scenario that to sack him now would be to admit a huge error was made, and human vanity such as it is . . . Lets be positive and reflect that the January transfer window may see SH able to make his mark on the team/squad, if we believe that hitherto he had little input in recruitment. If this is wrong and he has indeed had the final word, then, well, Crawley here we come! At least it is a short journey and the A23 is complete!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It irritated me that he had Lua Lua playing in a central role through August until October when everyone knows he can't play centrally, including the two previous managers.

Proves that Sami didn't bother to watch all the matchday dvd's from the previous couple of seasons.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I have to admire the optimism of those who say wait for the January transfer window. We are now in the third international break of the season and in the middle of a loan window. We have brought in three short term loan players of whom only one, Elliott Bennett, has played more than ninety minutes and one, only about four in a position which was not one he was known for. The international breaks, which Hyypia said would give him an opportunity to review tactics and players, have produced no improvement. So bring on January, by which time we will more than likely be further down the table, and a transfer period which the chairman says he doesn't like and in which we have a pretty poor record. Furthermore, given the number of players already on our books, can we actually afford any more?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think Colunga's been very harshly treated, finally scored against B'muff and put his best performance in an Albion shirt to date in, hasn't got a look in since. Bizarre.
Agree with this, was very disappointed to see him returned back to non-starting.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In my view, I can't see how anyone could have confidence in a manager with that sort of record. When you add a sacking in the middle, it only looks worse!

What has his Leverkusen record got to do with it?

Most managers lose their jobs after a poor run at their previous club and the only managers that any club will appoint without a poor run is ones they poach from another club where they are still the manager.

By including it, you are basically saying that we should only bring in managers who haven't managed before (like Gus) because they won't have a failure on their CV

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Relegation form with a poorly in balanced thought out squad with a novice management and coaching team.

Don't worry though Barber is building a little empire of middle and senior managers in the mean time to sell tickets to see a poor team.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Two words that fill me with dread. Squad rotation.

That is the nub of why I hate it (unless we are in the Europa leage or something) have a good game, get dropped to be replaced by someone else. Strikers are confidence players they need a run of games not in and out of the side. If they are still sh1t after a run then change them.

It hides behind the I dont know my best team. Annoying.

Exactly, it means that those who play arn't as motivated because they know they will lose the shirt regardless and those coming in will still get a game not matter how bad they were in the previous one.

The fear of losing your spot is often something that pushes a player to perform so does keeping them fresher by rotating them balance this out? I doubt it, due to effect it has on team understanding (especially anticipation of passes / crosses when attacking).

In our position, i think we need to settle on a starting XI and hope to get that cohesion that has been missing in the side (teams like Burnley had a small number of players used in the season they went up) - but players who fail to perform can still be dropped (but those missing out need to show they deserve a chance and once given the opportunity, need to show they deserve to keep the shirt)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Relegation form with a poorly in balanced thought out squad with a novice management and coaching team.

Don't worry though Barber is building a little empire of middle and senior managers in the mean time to sell tickets to see a poor team.

This upcoming transfer window is the first full window that Sami will have. the club has suffered in recent seasons with the loss of managers in the summer, and this affects recruitment because they need to start again because the kind of players Garcia might have wanted and may have worked in his system may not work as well in Hyppia's systemand there was only a very limited period of time they had to recruit players that fit what Sami was after.

They have had discussions with Sami about targets, they have had longer to search for them and hopefully in the next transfer window we get more players that are suited to it and will make the difference between draws and wins. sacking the manager now will mean that the recruitment team will have no manager to scout for and meet their player specifications / requirements now and only a limited time when a replacement is appointed.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
What has his Leverkusen record got to do with it?

Most managers lose their jobs after a poor run at their previous club and the only managers that any club will appoint without a poor run is ones they poach from another club where they are still the manager.

By including it, you are basically saying that we should only bring in managers who haven't managed before (like Gus) because they won't have a failure on their CV

It has everything to do with it! It was his first proper managerial post . So no I'm not saying anyone with a failure on their cv is not to be considered. I'm saying he has no credentials to manage. He has won 4 games out of 29 as a single manager in his career. If before that he had taken a side from bottom to top then that would be a completely different thing.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd disagree with this bit - he's now putting out a formation that will give us a far greater chance of success - full-backs that largely stay back and width from midfield. If he sticks to that then we will not concede too many, it's then whether we can score enough.

The question is did Hyypia change formations because he felt, with the arrival of Elliott Bennett, he had the right personnel for that system or because he finally conceded his preferred approach just wasn't working. I suspect it's the latter.

However, even within this change of approach he got it wrong initially by playing no holding players against Rotherham which led us to be over-run for much of the second half. Playing Ince, as he did against Blackburn, was an improvement.

But we were still dire against Blackburn. We were lucky that BRFC were poor on the day.
There was nothing in that performance to say that we can get out of the situation we are in.
Their was a point when BR had a player being treated on the pitch and all the other BR players were by the technical area being instructed by their manager and coach, when I looked at what we were doing SH was still seated NJ was looking at his IPad and our players were talking to each other.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nothing to do with ability or anything but have The Albion ever had two managers as dour as the last two.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is what happens when one man has all the say on how the club is run, if there were three equal partners I'm pretty sure all three wouldn't vote to stick with Hypia and is novice management style.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
This upcoming transfer window is the first full window that Sami will have. the club has suffered in recent seasons with the loss of managers in the summer, and this affects recruitment because they need to start again because the kind of players Garcia might have wanted and may have worked in his system may not work as well in Hyppia's systemand there was only a very limited period of time they had to recruit players that fit what Sami was after.

They have had discussions with Sami about targets, they have had longer to search for them and hopefully in the next transfer window we get more players that are suited to it and will make the difference between draws and wins. sacking the manager now will mean that the recruitment team will have no manager to scout for and meet their player specifications / requirements now and only a limited time when a replacement is appointed.
If I employed someone who couldn't adapt to his surroundings and situation, and I had to buy all the right equipment that he wanted to work with until he could produce half decent work, He would be out the door very quickly!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
No, because he's changed the formation because his doesn't work. Although not ideal wide players, any of Colunga, CMS, Teixeira (or March or Bruno if ever fit again) could play wide in addition to LuaLua.

Yes but as you previously stated, with proper full backs we need width in midfield. Even if we accept Lua Lua as a 90 minute winger, we have no other fit wingers that we actually own. At one point we had Lua Lua, Noone, Buckley and Vicente all competing for the wide spots and being paid less to do it than this current lot.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just out of interest what happened at Leverkusen after he left in terms of results in the interim and once they had a FT replacement?

There were only 5 games remaining in the season. So Lewandowski was caretaker until the end of the season, with a new manager (Roger Schmidt) appointed before the start of this season.

Leverkusen won four and drew one of the remaining five games of the 2013/14 season.

Doesn't look good for Sami, does it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here