Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is 4 League wins in the last 29 games Good enough?

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
In my view, I can't see how anyone could have confidence in a manager with that sort of record. When you add a sacking in the middle, it only looks worse!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sacking? :wozza:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Ahh I see, you didn't make that clear.
It's still early.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At leverkusen. 1 league win in 12. ( sacked) to us, 3 wins in 17!

As much as we all wanted Sami to get it right and still do, I find it hard to argue with those stats they talk for themselves simple not good enough and no sign of improvement. We can believe the manager and chairman who insist it is down to injuries and bad luck or players learning the system. However he could not turn it round at Leverkusen & we are dicing with relegation ourselves now. It is a very hard call and Tony seems to be saying in the interviews he thinks he will get it right and is looking at the long term, In a way he is saying stop moaning fans I can see what your seeing, but your not seeing what I am seeing which is behind the scenes.... time will tell I guess.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good enough for the fans or good enough for the chairman? It seems there are differing opinions, but only one that counts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
no sign of improvement.

I'd disagree with this bit - he's now putting out a formation that will give us a far greater chance of success - full-backs that largely stay back and width from midfield. If he sticks to that then we will not concede too many, it's then whether we can score enough.

The question is did Hyypia change formations because he felt, with the arrival of Elliott Bennett, he had the right personnel for that system or because he finally conceded his preferred approach just wasn't working. I suspect it's the latter.

However, even within this change of approach he got it wrong initially by playing no holding players against Rotherham which led us to be over-run for much of the second half. Playing Ince, as he did against Blackburn, was an improvement.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd disagree with this bit - he's now putting out a formation that will give us a far greater chance of success - full-backs that largely stay back and width from midfield. If he sticks to that then we will not concede too many, it's then whether we can score enough.

The question is did Hyypia change formations because he felt, with the arrival of Elliott Bennett, he had the right personnel for that system or because he finally conceded his preferred approach just wasn't working. I suspect it's the latter.

However, even within this change of approach he got it wrong initially by playing no holding players against Rotherham which led us to be over-run for much of the second half. Playing Ince, as he did against Blackburn, was an improvement.

So what happens if Elliott Bennett gets injured or we fail to sign him in January? Do we revert to being shithouse again?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just out of interest what happened at Leverkusen after he left in terms of results in the interim and once they had a FT replacement?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what happens if Elliott Bennett gets injured or we fail to sign him in January? Do we revert to being shithouse again?

No, because he's changed the formation because his doesn't work. Although not ideal wide players, any of Colunga, CMS, Teixeira (or March or Bruno if ever fit again) could play wide in addition to LuaLua.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, because he's changed the formation because his doesn't work. Although not ideal wide players, any of Colunga, CMS, Teixeira (or March or Bruno if ever fit again) could play wide in addition to LuaLua.

It irritated me that he had Lua Lua playing in a central role through August until October when everyone knows he can't play centrally, including the two previous managers.

stevie17

Banned
Oct 29, 2014
Hertfordshire
hyypia will stay (for the time being).he can count himself very lucky that bloom and the albion board are patient.at another club (blackpool,leeds,birmingham he would have been gone by now).think the board see it as a long term project,hyypia will be given time (possibly 2 or 3 years).,unless it goes terribly wrong and we look like getting relegated.think we have enough in the tank to stave off relegation,would say it looks like a finish of mid-table/lower mid-table (somewhere like 12th to 16th).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The stats are not good and neither is the position in the league, we are low on confidence, points, wins and direction. For a club that has 'one ambition' what ever that maybe, we are not where we should be. Responsibility for where we are is a top down poor management performance. If we suffer a run of poor results we will be in the drop zone, the whole thing is not right in my opinion, Hyppia can count himself very lucky that he is still there, but then perhaps thats to do more with protecting those who recruited him not wanting to lose face by having to replace him so quickly, thus identifying that they had made the wrong choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think the formation change was due to Walton going in goal, in order to give him a bit more protection.

We had a defensive set up v Spurs.
Full backs pushing on v Bournemouth.
Wingers v Wigan and B'Burn.

All this from a one dimensional manager with no idea about formations.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Just out of interest what happened at Leverkusen after he left in terms of results in the interim and once they had a FT replacement?
They didn't lose 11 out of 12 :) The biggest worry is these are the figures for Hypia managing alone. Leverkusen did well before the last 12 games but that was when levendoski partnered Hypia. Levendoski went back to the youth team, this is when leverkusen went on the losing streak with Hypia alone. So as a first team manager/ coach ( alone) he has won 4 league games!

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013

I want Hypia to succeed like we all do ( well nearly all). Why? make decisions like playing Bulldock alone. When he has always played as a supported striker. Then why? bring o'grady on in the 89th minute and take Bulldock off. Playing KLL down the middle, another mystery? No matter how gard I try to believe! With the Winning Stats and tactics, there is a slight woft of clueless in the air!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It irritated me that he had Lua Lua playing in a central role through August until October when everyone knows he can't play centrally, including the two previous managers.

He also shouldn't be playing full 90 mins but that's another discussion that's been done to death.

I think Colunga's been very harshly treated, finally scored against B'muff and put his best performance in an Albion shirt to date in, hasn't got a look in since. Bizarre.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here