Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attempt to land on a comet is a GO!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Don't know if anyone else has been following this, but its all systems go to launch the Philae lander from the Rosetta craft and attempt to land on a comet. Launch should happen around 9.02GMT and they should know around 4pm if its been successful. After 10 years of waiting, its going to be a very nervewracking day in Launch Control!

Amazing scientific achievement so far, with more to come!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30012854

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Truly groundreaking. I hope it gets down ok and survives long enough to get some information.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't know if anyone else has been following this, but its all systems go to launch the Philae lander from the Rosetta craft and attempt to land on a comet. Launch should happen around 9.02GMT and they should know around 4pm if its been successful. After 10 years of waiting, its going to be a very nervewracking day in Launch Control!

Amazing scientific achievement so far, with more to come!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30012854
It is indeed. Now wait for some **** whose views (and knowledge) haven't evolved since they left the Sixth Form Debating Society to say that the money would have been better spent fighting hunger in the Third World.

It is indeed. Now wait for some **** whose views (and knowledge) haven't evolved since they left the Sixth Form Debating Society to say that the money would have been better spent fighting hunger in the Third World.
These sorts of events have been highlight moments throughout the life of my generation ... the first Sputnik, the first dog in space, Yuri Gagarin, the Apollo missions, landing on the moon, the international space station ...

If this mission succeeds, it is up there with the great moments. My only hope is that the younger generation gets the excitement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I chuckled when the science correspondent said they had their fingers crossed that it would go well today, after a glitch with one of the thrusters.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Key timings for landing effort (GMT)

• Philae separates from Rosetta - 08:35
• Confirmation signal at Earth of separation - 09:03
• Rosetta's post-delivery manoeuvre - 09:15
• Radio connection established - 10:30
• First data from descending Philae after 12:00
• Landing of Philae on 67P - after 15:30
• Confirmation signal at Earth - around 16:00

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Key timings for landing effort (GMT)

• Philae separates from Rosetta - 08:35
• Confirmation signal at Earth of separation - 09:03
• Rosetta's post-delivery manoeuvre - 09:15
• Radio connection established - 10:30
• First data from descending Philae after 12:00
• Landing of Philae on 67P - after 15:30
• Confirmation signal at Earth - around 16:00

Those timings highlight one of the things I find amazing about all of this - how long it takes for the communication. We get annoyed when a web page takes a couple of extra seconds to load. This takes half an hour each way !!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Those timings highlight one of the things I find amazing about all of this - how long it takes for the communication. We get annoyed when a web page takes a couple of extra seconds to load. This takes half an hour each way !!!

Yeah I know, you don't even have to wait that long now for a pie and pint.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Separation of the Philae Lander is confirmed! Now we wait until 4pm ish to find out if it landed ok...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm loving it. To think that this took 10 years to reach its target and technology has got so much better in those years I wonder how 'ancient' the computers are on the craft. Pre windows 8, 7, Vista or even XP. And before the ipad. BUT yes, at one billion, I do wonder what they will learn. I understand we could learn where we came from but do we really need to know or care? Fingers crossed for them.
One man who has been there, Captain James T Kirk of the USS Enterprise, sent a personal message this morning on Sky News.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
These sorts of events have been highlight moments throughout the life of my generation ... the first Sputnik, the first dog in space, Yuri Gagarin, the Apollo missions, landing on the moon, the international space station ...

If this mission succeeds, it is up there with the great moments. My only hope is that the younger generation gets the excitement.

They'll be too busy on their Playstations.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Bit later than initially planned, but Philae telemetry on its descent is now being relayed via Rosetta :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah. My mum always tells me she took me outside as a babe in arms to show me Sputnik going overhead. The moon landings (certainly the first one) ... well I've never ever known an event like it. (And of course the other post I'm waiting for is for someone to say the Rosetta mission is a fake because the photos don't look right).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Imagine what it would be like trying to play Interplanetary FIFA 34 on a Playstation 16! :D

Fingers crossed for a successful mission :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here