Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion academy in Surrey

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Found this on twitter "UPDATE, BHAFC Academy Surrey/London Centre opening date confirmed 5th Dec 14, this will be FREE sessions for U8s to U13s at @WhyteleafeFC"

Great to see the club are branching out and looking for talent in Surrey and London. Whyteleafe are quite a progressive club who have just been promoted back to the Ryman League and have recently had a 3G laid which I'm sure was a major attraction for the Albion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Before we all start jerking off about this, Palace have had one in East Grinstead (West Sussex) for years.

I know. Time to start playing them at their own game.

Far more talent to poach in South London than East Grinstead, I'm sure.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Cardiff and West Brom do similar in my area (Abergavenny). It's a really good idea though, it only takes one gem to turn up from these outlying areas to fund the whole thing.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Before we all start jerking off about this, Palace have had one in East Grinstead (West Sussex) for years.
It's not jerking off, just delighted to see the progression of our club and that we are now prepared to wave the flag in uncharted territory.

I know a lad from Crawley who had four years of training with Charlton he would have loved to had this time with the Albion, hopefully we are now in a position to give more juniors a better chance at our club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know. Time to start playing them at their own game.

Far more talent to poach in South London than East Grinstead, I'm sure.

Let's not forget that our academy is Cat 1 and theirs is Cat 2. This means that our age group teams play against better opponents, we can recruit from a wider geographical area, and, most significantly, we're also able to poach the best Cat 2&3 players at a fraction of the cost.

Gaining Cat 1 status isn't as straightforward as throwing money at the training centre and academy either - our friends up the A23 tried and failed about 18 months ago. So a significant feather in the cap of the much maligned David Burke.

Let's not forget that our academy is Cat 1 and theirs is Cat 2. This means that our age group teams play against better opponents, can recruit from a wider geographical area, and, most significantly, we're also able to poach the best Cat 2&3 players at a fraction of the cost.

Gaining Cat 1 status isn't as straightforward as throwing money at the training centre and academy either - our friends up the A23 tried and failed about 18 months ago. So a significant feather in the cap of the much maligned David Burke.

And that means theirs will not take a minimum of £2 million a year to comply with Cat 1.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And that means theirs will not take a minimum of £2 million a year to comply with Cat 1.

We could spunk £2m a year on players that may or may not work out; or we could lay the foundations for the future.

If TB wants to invest his money in this, then you won't find me complaining.

We could spunk £2m a year on players that may or may not work out; or we could lay the foundations for the future.

If TB wants to invest his money in this, then you won't find me complaining.

Me either, but somebody has to fund it.

Local Facility for local youth development.

Only it isn't, I asked the question the other day if anyone knew how many of the U16's were released on Saturday in favour of talent shipped in, nobody knew the answer.

I do.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Out of curiosity is there any cat 1 academy's in league 1 ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here