Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail- Smith

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Rumour at the time was we beat Leicester & West Ham to his signature. However he was our marquee signing when we moved to the Amex. All was forgiven for offloading Murray we now had CMS coming in off the back of a glorious run in league 1 where he notched over 30 goals the season before he joined us. However since his move its not really worked out for him or us. He was victim of a one upfront system under Poyet and Garcia and of course had the horrific injury last season which has meant we have not seen the best of him imo. We have suffered with lack of goals over the last 3 seasons and haven't really ever found that one player (Ulloa aside) capable of notching 25+ goals for us and in turn has been one of the major reasons why we have struggled in front of goal- He must be on massive wages as well. I believe his stats read 88/20 goals scored

What I want to know is do we offload CMS or is he worth signing up on an extended contract?

over to you

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Extended contract....... Shirley a ban for even mentioning it!! He's as good as gone, and it couldn't be quick enough!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Rumour at the time was we beat Leicester & West Ham to his signature. However he was our marquee signing when we moved to the Amex. All was forgiven for offloading Murray we now had CMS coming in off the back of a glorious run in league 1 where he notched over 30 goals the season before he joined us. However since his move its not really worked out for him or us. He was victim of a one upfront system under Poyet and Garcia and of course had the horrific injury last season which has meant we have not seen the best of him imo. We have suffered with lack of goals over the last 3 seasons and haven't really ever found that one player (Ulloa aside) capable of notching 25+ goals for us and in turn has been one of the major reasons why we have struggled in front of goal- He must be on massive wages as well. I believe his stats read 88/20 goals scored

What I want to know is do we offload CMS or is he worth signing up on an extended contract?

over to you

I was at my daughter's house in Leicester the weekend before we signed CMS, and in the Leicester Mercury on the Saturday there was an article of an interview with Sven Goran Eriksson (their manager at the time) about this Craig Mackail-Smith they were on the point of signing and how much he was looking forward to working with him. So we did beat Leicester at least.

And I still think he is worth an extended contract, but I know plenty of others will disagree.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Was he someone Gus actively pursued, or the first of the players bought without consideration to the style/formation the manager would play?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We spent too much to let him go for nowt.
New deal for sure.

Edit: ........and no leigull. Gus said he was going to build his side round Macca (if only). He was definitely his signing.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I was at my daughter's house in Leicester the weekend before we signed CMS, and in the Leicester Mercury on the Saturday there was an article of an interview with Sven Goran Eriksson (their manager at the time) about this Craig Mackail-Smith they were on the point of signing and how much he was looking forward to working with him. So we did beat Leicester at least.

And I still think he is worth an extended contract, but I know plenty of others will disagree.

Its a shame for everyone concerned that its panned out how it has. The only one big problem I have (this slightly covers del boys post) imagine like a few others we have let go start scoring shed loads of goals elsewhere- what total waste of investment and time-

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Its all speculative now, but had CMS been fit and we had played an old style two striker system, I believe the combination of CMS and Ulloa at their very best would have been a lethal combination. We can dream and wonder........

Until we see CMS play in a duel striker role with a traditional target man, we will never know what his potential or genuine ability may have been. I hate the modern lone striker system, but 4-4-2 is considered the dial up modem of formations by coaches these days. Especially foreign ones.

The only plus of CMS playing as a lone striker - He's still far more effective that Baldock at present.

As for extending his contract? All depends who the manager is in the coming weeks/months. At present, CMS is as ineffective as the rest, but if a change of manager does happen, maybe that could be a new lease of life for him if the tactics play to his strengths?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Try and get rid in January, in order to make way for someone that can lead the line and score goals.
There are too many similarities between CMS and Baldock. The latter is younger, tied up for four years, and his runs are more intelligent. Which one is the better goalscorer is yet to be determined but for the sake of both B&HA and Baldock, let's hope it's Baldock.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I remember when we signed him It was one of the best feelings ever. We were back in (for us) the big time and showing intent

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I love CMS and am a big fan, I believe at present he is still is our best forward.

However if we can sell in January for 500-750k and use his wages for the type of striker we really need then this surely has to happen

The fact we renewed Crofts deal early this season and have heard nothing on CMS points to he will leave in January or run his deal down

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not good enough at this level (apparently), lovely chap though he seems to be.

If we can get up to £500k would take it in an instance.

Just seems a shame, he never got to play for us in a forward pairing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Unfortunately for us-CMS has not been as effective as his price tag had us hoping he would be. When he was with Boyd at Peterborough they were a deadly combination but even that didn't work when they got promoted to the Championship that one season. CMS had his favourite striking partner alongside him but was ineffectual for that season. I think Poyet and The Albion arrogantly believed that with us Macca would perform better.

It hasn't worked out, he's a nice guy who's made a shit load of money whilst here but it's time for him to move on. His first touch is not the best, neither's his shooting so there must be a reason or 2 why, despite our attack being totally shite, he doesn't start. Injuries possibly have played their part but to me he just isn't that good. Runs a lot, always gives 100% but a top striker in this league? I don't think so. Sorry Craig, you're a great guy but you'll probably be a lot happier in a new home (or old home if rumours on here every so often are to be believed).

I think all Albion fans want him to do well for us, I know I do. Sadly not likely to happen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This signing STILL baffles me.

Couldn't be less of a Gus player if he tried. He epitomises the EXACT opposite of Gus's entire footballing philosophy.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Try and get rid in January, in order to make way for someone that can lead the line and score goals.
There are too many similarities between CMS and Baldock. The latter is younger, tied up for four years, and his runs are more intelligent. Which one is the better goalscorer is yet to be determined but for the sake of both B&HA and Baldock, let's hope it's Baldock.

I would agree with this-Although CMS endeavour is never questioned he has had alot of opportunities to lead the line, he's not a target man so some might say he's not been given a far chance however I am nearly sure he is the highest earner at the club and for what we may get in equal value maybe better for our system under the current manager. This said a change of system playing to his strengths seems the obvious solution but its all too late for this now and should really have been done two seasons ago imo

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This signing STILL baffles me.

Couldn't be less of a Gus player if he tried. He epitomises the EXACT opposite of Gus's entire footballing philosophy.

So why did he spunk so much money on him? He was a vanity signing for the club's new dawn at The Amex.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So why did he spunk so much money on him? He was a vanity signing for the club's new dawn at The Amex.

Perhaps not Gus's signing so much then?

Gus liked patient, slow, considered, intelligent, disciplined, composed, passing football. CMS is the exact opposite of pretty much every single one of those words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here