Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Centre halves as managers/coaches

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
This is a question borne out of ignorance more than a dig at Sami, but can anyone name an out-and-out centre back who went on to be a successful manager?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Pretty sure Marcelo Bielsa was a centre back though I may be wrong as, whilst I think he's the managerial equivalent of Jesus, I don't know an awful lot about his playing career (other than it was a short one).

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
On the other hand, I think Fergie and Clough, two of the greatest managers were very good strikers in their playing days

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
On the other hand, I think Fergie and Clough, two of the greatest managers were very good strikers in their playing days
On the other other hand, arguably the two best modern managers (Mourinho and Guardiola) were midfielders.

I don't personally believe that a playing position has any real bearing on managerial ability/style, however, I am struggling to think of any goalkeepers that have made the transition...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sam Allardyce i believe was CB?

some might not like his style, but he's certainly had a good degree of success.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Steve Bruce is a top manager. The fact he looks like a complete slob holds him back from competing for the truly good jobs

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here