[Food] Is this a cookie or a biscuit?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
images

Cookie or biscuit ???

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
If it's cooked once, it's a cookie. If it's cooked twice, it's a biscuit. Simple. Without wishing to be patronising, biscuit is French for twice cooked.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It looks like a Maryland cookie.

These were pushed at the poor unsuspecting British public as a little sweet taste of Americana in the 80s. The sold well, but in our defence we knew no better.

Then, some time later, proper cookies appeared - soft and chewy, not crisp and crumbly like the Maryland imposters.

Those Maryland ones still exist I believe - presumably only bought by old people.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

These were pushed at the poor unsuspecting British public as a little sweet taste of Americana in the 80s. The sold well, but in our defence we knew no better.

Then, some time later, proper cookies appeared - soft and chewy, not crisp and crumbly like the Maryland imposters.

Those Maryland ones still exist I believe - presumably only bought by old people.

I don't care who you are I believe you should show a bit more respect to Maryland cookies.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I bought a whoopie pie the other day. Somewhere between a cake and a cookie, but definitely not a pie.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If it's cooked once, it's a cookie. If it's cooked twice, it's a biscuit. Simple. Without wishing to be patronising, biscuit is French for twice cooked.

I did not know that. Thank you!

Brits are always going on about how they dislike Americanisms. I think 'Cookie' is a great word. Great thing too.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I know what you mean, but Maryland cookies are great dunkers.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Mmmmm yummy, yummy yum. Especially when dunked in our Horlicks. :drool:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

With all due respect that holds little water.

The work cookie is derived from a Dutch word meaning "little cake" which it isn't either.

It's a biscuit because that is the word we use to describe such things.

The only people who would use the other term often walk into an Italian Coffee shops staffed by Poles and ask "Can I get a flat skinny white with pastrami on brown ?"

I know what you mean, but Maryland cookies are great dunkers.

You can also impress your friends at your next dinner party. Instead of serving up Black Forest Gateau, for ultimate adult sophistication soak some Maryland Cookies in a little Sherry to moisten them and then sandwich together and smother with whipped cream. Just the thing to precede the Elizabeth Shaw Mints and the Rombouts.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've developed a worrying addiction to Sainsburys Oatmeal and Raisen cookies.

I'm glad I've said that, it feels like a relief to have it out in the open at last.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here