Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Have BHA FC Fans Got To Complain About....

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Well in theory it should be close to nothing ... new 30,000 seater stadium, great new training ground, fourth season in the championship ...

But in practice despite the tangible things above, the intangible things as to how you feel about the club do seem to be a bit more on the negative side ...

We did have our own developed style of play that all the squad understood, players could clearly be seen to be improving by the coaching they were getting over time, we seemed to on the whole sign more good players than bad ...

But ignoring all the politics and personalities involved (hard to do though) it does seem that the football side of the club developed far quicker than the business side of the club, and the football side was put on hold for a bit whilst the business side was given time to catch up re improved sponsorship deals and infrastructure projects completed ..

All fine in theory but when a bit of success comes your way on the pitch, this may well be unplanned from a business perspective, but if you don't go with the flow so to speak, the opportunity may well then be gone for good.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I like shopping in Waitrose, it has pleasant staff, the checkouts are nice and shiny, and you get a free cup of tea with your loyalty card.

For this I'm prepared to pay a small premium on the price for the food.

If, however, the food is a load of old crap that looks as if it wouldn't be acceptable in a prison canteen, I would probably take my custom away, or at the very least, speak to the shop manager, and say, that as a customer, I expect better fare.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well if the line from the club is 'Premier League Ready' and it invests in management and players which are clearly not premier league ready there is an inconsistency which any self respecting supporter is going to be disappointed with.

OK the moaning may be a bit tiresome but the disappointment is totally understandable and that is the way football supporters show it. If the club do not realise that, more fool them. Furthermore moaning is just that but it is a forerunner of non attendance and then failure to renew season tickets and buy merchandise. They need to wake up a bit and get a decent replacement for Ulloa. It is not rocket science.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I like shopping in Waitrose, it has pleasant staff, the checkouts are nice and shiny, and you get a free cup of tea with your loyalty card.

If, however, the food is a load of old crap that looks as if it wouldn't be acceptable in a prison canteen, I would probably take my custom away, or at the very least, speak to the shop manager, and say, that as a customer, I expect better fare.

Perhaps you might take a POO in one of their AISLES as a protest?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pies are Shit !! (What kinda shit? Pie shit!)

Well in theory it should be close to nothing ... new 30,000 seater stadium, great new training ground, fourth season in the championship ...

But in practice despite the tangible things above, the intangible things as to how you feel about the club do seem to be a bit more on the negative side ...

We did have our own developed style of play that all the squad understood, players could clearly be seen to be improving by the coaching they were getting over time, we seemed to on the whole sign more good players than bad ...

But ignoring all the politics and personalities involved (hard to do though) it does seem that the football side of the club developed far quicker than the business side of the club, and the football side was put on hold for a bit whilst the business side was given time to catch up re improved sponsorship deals and infrastructure projects completed ..

All fine in theory but when a bit of success comes your way on the pitch, this may well be unplanned from a business perspective, but if you don't go with the flow so to speak, the opportunity may well then be gone for good.

I gave it the thumbs up. Type of drivel I thought, but decided not to post

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well I think that some Brighton fans are annoyed because they have nothing to moan about.

The Withdean effect mark II.

We were over achieving at Withdean but what we did wasn't seen as good enough as expectations rose on the back of our success (back to back promotions) Now we have overachieved in terms of back to back play-off failures and now that has become the expected and anything less is deemed failure.

Again we are competing on an uneven footing, (like we were at Withdean where Championship football was what was expected by some) we are still competing against teams in our division who are better financed than us and despite some of the highest finishes in our clubs history recently, this is what is now yielding the weight of expectation which will be very hard to meet.

This is why there is less patience for a new manager to impliment his style of play and for it to have time to work (like Gus had at Withdean) because instant results are demanded by some because of the fear of losing our fans. There as been this air of negativity over the whole summer and into the season, with attack after attack on the club, it's personel and so on but a lot of it is unjustified.

A negative mindset just makes it harder to succeed, and clubs with off the field fan grumblings and negativity tend to struggle (Cardiff in the PL, Blackburn, etc....) as this transmits to the pitch and effects results. We have some at present who wiil use just about anything the club does and even things they don't do as tools to beat the club with and they (the club) are in a no win situation.

This negativity spreads to other fans and it ends up putting people off going. If you start from a negative place, things seem worse than they usually are, so now good results and performances are deemed rubbish and boring to watch but if the same match with the same action had been played with us near the top of the table, then it would have been deemed exciting and enjoyable. the only thing that has changed is the mindset of the fan before the match started (I don't know why i bother because we never win, i won't get behind the team because we won't win, etc and the atmosphere suffers and the team suffers. One of the positive thingsfrom recent seasons is how much the fans have been behind the team (remember at Withdean when the players came over to the bench for drinks during a stoppage and the fans burst into spontanious applause to encourage the team on) nowadays we get people booing players and cheering loudly when they are subbed (despite having a reasonable game) so why would the player(s) feel like giving that little bit extra if they don't feel wanted

If you, in your day to day job were left to feel like sh~t by those who supposedly matter to you in your work environment would you do your best or lose motivation? If you were trying to do your best and it was met by constant criticism, would you continue to try hard or just go through the motions until you could move elsewhere?

The tream is struggling, and this is where they really need the fans behind them to help lift them and inspire them on to achieve better results

I'M FURIOUS THAT THE HOVE COOP HAS BEEN REPLACED BY WAITROSE ITS A NIGHTMARE TO GET OUT THE CAR PARK THE PRICES HAVE INCREASED AND GOD KNOWS WHERE ALL THESES NEW STUCK UP SHOPPERS HAVE COME FROM! GIVE ME BACK THE OLD DAYS WHEN THE CHECKOUT STAFF OUTNUMBERED THE CUSTOMERS!:moo:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I popped into Tesco in hounslow the other day. It was like downtown Baghdad. Not that there were so many people in burkas and such like, which there was a huge amount, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but in the isles, there were boxes of various foodstuffs piled high, not on shelves. In one Isle, I came across a woman sat on the floor begging....I kid you not.

Compared to there, the old co-op was like harrods

With regards to the OP, we are just suffering a post euphoria blues. Doing well in the last few years of withdean, moving to a shiny new stadium and two seasons of playoffs- albeit failures. We lost our best manager for years, lost a pretty decent manager next, and players who we all loved watching at their best, Orlandi, Lopez and ulloa. And have ended up with a manager, who seems a nice chap but he is struggling with a squad that is either not up to it, or doesn't understand what he is trying to do.

Personally I see football now as a social event, to meet up with mates etc., with the football being there in front of you , but not nearly as important as it was when we were real underdogs in the football league. Now we are just another club with a nice stadium bouncing along in the second tier of the football pyramid. We are no longer angry fans, desparate for our the survival of our club, and fans who thought they were the Center of the club, rather than " customers".

I think in some ways it is a shame that Southampton are quoted as a team that we could emulate. They have owners who are prepared to spend huge amounts on players and due to the coaching prowess of their team infrastructure, have been able to bring the players on and develop them into works class players....bale, Walcott, oslade-chamberlain etc. I thought it was telling that sammy lee took one look at us and chose to work with people he didn't know, rather than an old mate. Hopefully all these players we are buying for the development squad will come through, but that will take time. Brighton fans just have to be patient.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I popped into Tesco in hounslow the other day. It was like downtown Baghdad. Not that there were so many people in burkas and such like, which there was a huge amount, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but in the isles, there were boxes of various foodstuffs piled high, not on shelves. In one Isle, I came across a woman sat on the floor begging....I kid you not.

With regards to the OP, we are just suffering a post euphoria blues. Doing well in the last few years of withdean, moving to a shiny new stadium and two seasons of playoffs- albeit failures. We lost our best manager for years, lost a pretty decent manager next, and players who we all loved watching at their best, Orlandi, Lopez and ulloa. And have ended up with a manager, who seems a nice chap but he is struggling with a squad that is either not up to it, or doesn't understand what he is trying to do.

Personally I see football now as a social event, to meet up with mates etc., with the football being there in front of you , but not nearly as important as it was when we were real underdogs in the football league. Now we are just another club with a nice stadium bouncing along in the second tier of the football pyramid. We are no longer angry fans, desparate for our the survival of our club, and fans who thought they were the Center of the club, rather than " customers".

I think in some ways it is a shame that Southampton are quoted as a team that we could emulate. They have owners who are prepared to spend huge amounts on players and due to the coaching prowess of their team infrastructure, have been able to bring the players on and develop them into works class players....bale, Walcott, oslade-chamberlain etc. I thought it was telling that sammy lee took one look at us and chose to work with people he didn't know, rather than an old mate. Hopefully all these players we are buying for the development squad will come through, but that will take time. Brighton fans just have to be patient.

Excellent post

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought it was telling that sammy lee took one look at us and chose to work with people he didn't know, rather than an old mate. .

Thats quoted a lot on here and is not quite what happened. He was offered the job, accepted it, and signed a contract.
He was then offered a day or so later what he perceived to be a better job so we reluctantly released him from his contract to head down the road to our Premier League friends.
This idea that he was sniffy about the set up, Sami, and the prospect of working with Chris O'Grady is not the story. He wanted to work in the Prem League presumably for a lot more money. And good luck to him. They're not doing too bad are they.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

Not a lot wrong with that. Well said Dave!

One thing though... I would imagine the chance to be in the Premier League was the biggest (and possibly only?) factor to Sammy Lee going there, rather than looking at us and thinking "Nah"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not a lot wrong with that. Well said Dave!

One thing though... I would imagine the chance to be in the Premier League was the biggest (and possibly only?) factor to Sammy Lee going there, rather than looking at us and thinking "Nah"

I think with Sammy lee, until his auto biography comes out we won't know, but I wonder how it was sold to him when he signed the agreement to join us. I do agree if Southampton comes a calling you would be mad to turn it down, it was just very odd at the time.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think with Sammy lee, until his auto biography comes out we won't know, but I wonder how it was sold to him when he signed the agreement to join us. I do agree if Southampton comes a calling you would be mad to turn it down, it was just very odd at the time.

I would imagine that he was told about the club set up and how we work before he signed his contract, and even if he wasn't, 1 or 2 days is hardly time to decide that it's a shambles, forcing him to leave.

I would imagine that Saints were looking for a decent No2 who knows the English game and as his name was in the press at the time because we were about to sign him, they offered him more money and a chance in the Prem again and he jumped at the chance.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
We can comment Shirley? I love the new Stadium, do not expect overnight success and wish to keep the current manager for time to develop. I look forward to the gradual conveyor belt from the new academy, and appreciate many of the things we enjoy thanks to TB et al.
That said, I can express my disappointment that we are not up there fighting right now, missing an open goal or being served a cr@p pie.
A football fan's road is rocky, always will be or it would be pretty dull.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here