Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to sort out the ticket exchange?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
for midweek games at least.

None of this 'it only activates when we sell out' nonsense. We'll NEVER sell out again this season for a league match unless it's a battle to stay up on the last day.

16,000 turned up against Wigan, it's probably fair to say not many will have been arsed to buy tickets on a match by match basis, and people haven't been able to shift them. So, why not let people by them at a big discount on the ticket exchange? £15 in the cheap seats, £20/£25 in the more expensive seats. Club take half price, season ticket holder take half price? That way, fans who can't afford to go usually can go and people are more likely to try and flog their ticket than not turn up. Just a thought.

Also, we are next to TWO Universities. Rather than plagging the 'floodlit four' at people who play park football, why not just chuck the tickets at students and do some deals on the beers for them. A Tuesday night at the footie before hitting town? I reckon that would appeal. Throw in all the colleges in Sussex as well and it just seems crazy that the club do very little to try and fill an empty ground.

For those who argue "it will piss season ticket holders off seeing tickets available on the cheap" - no it won't, because half the season ticket holders aren't bothering to turn up anyway, and those who do are laughing at the scandalous fabrication of the matchday attendance.

The whole pricing and marketing strategy at the club seems like nonsense to me. It's crazy that every midweek game there's hundreds of posts on here about empties and yet the club have done bugger all to sort it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A lot of what you say makes sense but I just can't see it for regular tickets. The club will always want to sell tickets first where they get 100% of the revenue, rather than 50%.

Better prices for these tickets is another debate again, but a delicate balancing act is required to ensure that season ticket holders don't feel disenfranchised to the point of not renewing and going game by game. I know that if I was picking and choosing my games, I'd be thinking long and hard about some fixtures and it would take quite a discount on the regular single-game prices to persuade me for some evening games.

The student one is interesting - they've certainly done this in the past. http://www.badgeronline.co.uk/students-save-at-the-amex-stadium/ says:

It was with this idea in mind that the club decided to launch a student offer for their midweek match at the Amex versus Sheffield Wednesday. Anyone aged 18 or over would usually have to pay a pricey £31 for an adult ticket, however on this occasion students were offered tickets for a mere £15 with a complimentary drink thrown in for good measure.

...do they still do this? I'm sure when the newly-enlarged Amex was announced, part of the ground, possibly the Southern end of the East Stand Lower, was set aside for student offers when other demand was expected to be low.

The new main man [MENTION=29682]Paulbeirne[/MENTION] will have lots of thoughts about all of this I'm sure...

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
A lot of what you say makes sense but I just can't see it for regular tickets. The club will always want to sell tickets first where they get 100% of the revenue, rather than 50%.

Better prices for these tickets is another debate again, but a delicate balancing act is required to ensure that season ticket holders don't feel disenfranchised to the point of not renewing and going game by game. I know that if I was picking and choosing my games, I'd be thinking long and hard about some fixtures and it would take quite a discount on the regular single-game prices to persuade me for some evening games.

The student one is interesting - they've certainly done this in the past. http://www.badgeronline.co.uk/students-save-at-the-amex-stadium/ says:

It was with this idea in mind that the club decided to launch a student offer for their midweek match at the Amex versus Sheffield Wednesday. Anyone aged 18 or over would usually have to pay a pricey £31 for an adult ticket, however on this occasion students were offered tickets for a mere £15 with a complimentary drink thrown in for good measure.

...do they still do this? I'm sure when the newly-enlarged Amex was announced, part of the ground, possibly the Southern end of the East Stand Lower, was set aside for student offers when other demand was expected to be low.

The new main man [MENTION=29682]Paulbeirne[/MENTION] will have lots of thoughts about all of this I'm sure...

I know a few students at both Uni's who weren't aware of the offers at the time they were around. It's so easy to use Social Media, Societies and Freshers fairs that I think the club aren't doing enough - 2 Universities in town plus all the colleges in and around Sussex...with Hastings and Eastbourne Uni campuses as well.

I understand the club wanting 100% revenue, but for last weeks game against Wigan (for example) I'd love to know what the individual ticket revenue was...probably the sum of 140 ticket sold in the away end...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they arent sold out, why do the club or the irregular punter need a ticket exchange ???

and why dont people believe the official attendance, im pretty sure its not in the clubs interest to fiddle 7k

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My son is at Warwick Uni, and had villa in recently flogging tickets. they did a deal, £25.00 for their two home v spurs and man city.

That's £12 50 per game to watch top flight football.

I spoke to a villa STH who I know pretty well. His attitude wasn't to be upset, he just wanted to see bums on seats.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
if they arent sold out, why do the club or the irregular punter need a ticket exchange ???

and why dont people believe the official attendance, im pretty sure its not in the clubs interest to fiddle 7k

A possible additional revenue stream that offers the possibility of discounted tickets with less risk of provoking the paying STHer? They aren't shifting many/any at the current prices with the existing product...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

fair enough.

A possible additional revenue stream that offers the possibility of discounted tickets with less risk of provoking the paying STHer? They aren't shifting many/any at the current prices with the existing product...

but they'd be better off discounting the existing tickets in some way. only group i can see a ticket exchange really helps in this situation is the STHs. now when its busy, thats another matter of course.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
As a teacher who organised a trip to a game last year in the shelf, I am staggered that they have not even set some kind of email to see whether we would be interested in doing it again. It has not been used once this year. What a waste.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a teacher who organised a trip to a game last year in the shelf, I am staggered that they have not even set some kind of email to see whether we would be interested in doing it again. It has not been used once this year. What a waste.

How much (if anything) is charged?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

I'm amazed they don't give out more freebies to schools. AITC have good links with a lot of schools, especially ones local to the Amex like Coldean. If the club had any sense they'd give out 4/5 fortnightly which the school can then give out to less fortunate pupils or to students who have done well for those 2 weeks.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Cannot remember exactly, but I think it was about £15 each for the kids.

Personally I don't think that's cheap (if indeed it was £15)

The kids would no doubt have to pay for coach hire etc.

That shelf should be full of kids either from schools or football teams every home game IMO.

I guess it's having the teachers and/or coaches prepared to organise it that's the issue.

This guy who the club have just taken on has quite a task selling a good volume of match day tickets, without upsetting STHs

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

That shelf should be full of kids either from schools or football teams every home game IMO.

I guess it's having the teachers and/or coaches prepared to organise it that's the issue.

This guy who the club have just taken on has quite a task selling a good volume of match day tickets, without upsetting STHs

Or is the problem that the adults have to pay a minimum of £30 each which many non Brighton fans deem a rip off. That's the underlying problem I think, the club are selling tickets at a price that might appeal to supporters but doesn't do football fans. But what do I know?

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009

The club did let us park the minibus in Bennett's Field, although I know that is now not an option.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here