Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just commenting

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Home Secretary Theresa May described the Conservatives' pledge in opposition to cut net migration to below 100,000 a year by 2015 as a "comment" rather than a promise.

The Tories seem to make a hell of lot of "comments" don't they?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Home Secretary Theresa May described the Conservatives' pledge in opposition to cut net migration to below 100,000 a year by 2015 as a "comment" rather than a promise.

The Tories seem to make a hell of lot of "comments" don't they?

:shrug::yawn:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another one is IDS spunking hundreds of MILLIONS away on Universal Credit and still telling everyone it is going to work and be on time

Osborne promised to have slashed the deficit from £149bn to £60bn is another

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
List everything the governments of the last 20 years have said, they all "comment" utter lies, garbage and twaddle.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I cannot comment how I feel about Dave destroying the NHS and using his dead child to shield himself from criticism.
Well I could but it would take a long time and most of what I wrote would appear as ***********

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Osborne promised to have slashed the deficit from £149bn to £60bn is another

Whatever, however at least socially they do not look inept and pathetic

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Lib Dems didn't just promise that they wouldn't raise tuition fees, they pledged to, and there's no end of them photographed with placards indicating as much.
That's my comment for the night.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Lib Dems didn't just promise that they wouldn't raise tuition fees, they pledged to, and there's no end of them photographed with placards indicating as much.
That's my comment for the night.

Welcome to coalitions, where neither party gets what they want but they at least get the chance to blame the other one for it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Labour Party 2005 manifesto pledge: "We will not raise the basic or top rates of income tax in the next Parliament."
What happened: 50p tax rate introduced.

Just a comment presumably?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Labour Party 2005 manifesto pledge: "We will not raise the basic or top rates of income tax in the next Parliament."
What happened: 50p tax rate introduced.

Just a comment presumably?

That was the most popular tax increase in a long time. It's reintroduction will be in their 2015 manifesto too.
Taxing the rich is a better idea than taxing the poor, which is what this current lot do. It's a funny thing about tax that people seem to focus so much on income tax, whereas the VAT rise is widely recognised as a regressive tax. Note that Labour reduced VAT temporarily to 15% in the last parliament.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That was the most popular tax increase in a long time. It's reintroduction will be in their 2015 manifesto too.
Taxing the rich is a better idea than taxing the poor, which is what this current lot do. It's a funny thing about tax that people seem to focus so much on income tax, whereas the VAT rise is widely recognised as a regressive tax. Note that Labour reduced VAT temporarily to 15% in the last parliament.

Oh. Ed seemed rather regretful at breaking the 'comment' (although he referred to it as a 'promise'): "We had to make a decision which we didn't foresee in the manifesto around the 50p income tax rate, but it is certainly our firm intention to keep the promises, keep the proposals that we're putting forward in this [2010] manifesto."

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a policy on immigration. Something labour seem pretty scared of.

David Cameron, on immigration, April 14, 2011:

" Net migration to this country will be in the order of tens of thousands each year, not the hundreds of thousands every year that we have seen over the last decade. Yes, Britain will always be open to the best and brightest from around the world and those fleeing persecution. But with us, our borders will be under control and immigration will be at levels our country can manage. No ifs. No buts. That's a promise we made to the British people. And it's a promise we are keeping."

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
David Cameron, on immigration, April 14, 2011:

" Net migration to this country will be in the order of tens of thousands each year, not the hundreds of thousands every year that we have seen over the last decade. Yes, Britain will always be open to the best and brightest from around the world and those fleeing persecution. But with us, our borders will be under control and immigration will be at levels our country can manage. No ifs. No buts. That's a promise we made to the British people. And it's a promise we are keeping."

Sorry, did you mean to post the labour immigration policy and got confused when you couldn't find one.

Personally even though I'll most probably vote conservative next year I don't particularly agree with this policy. At least though they are active in the space compared to labour who just seem to want to stick their heads in the sand about it, even though lots of their voters care about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here