Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pass, Horsham, in the top 15 in UK...

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
...just read in ST that this was a seriously good restaurant. Has anyone been there? It looks really, really expensive...maybe too much? My daughter lives there and as a special treat, I thought I may take her there. Is it that special and is it worth the money?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It is fairly decent and the food is good. I have been a couple of time and is generally in par with any other 1 Michalin star resturant. I would suggest avoiding the complimentary wine for the additional money as for 2 people its an additional £130 which in my personal opinion is better spent on a wine you know you like.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were going to but we stayed in and Dominos instead on the night in question. Seriously.

We did visit Restaurant Tristan, another of the local Michelin starred establishments, a few weeks ago and it was excellent. I'd recommend to all. The Pass is next on the list - its reputation is growing rapidly currently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is fairly decent and the food is good. I have been a couple of time and is generally in par with any other 1 Michalin star resturant. I would suggest avoiding the complimentary wine for the additional money as for 2 people its an additional £130 which in my personal opinion is better spent on a wine you know you like.

I go the other way when it comes to wine pairings on the basis that it's an opportunity to try a few different wines which have been expertly chosen to work with the food. I must admit I'm not that well versed in wine so for me it's as much educational as anything.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Silly question, but isn't "complimentary wine" meant to be... Er..... Complimentary?!? complimentary for me means "on the house", paying £130 for that seems like a bad judgement IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Silly question, but isn't "complimentary wine" meant to be... Er..... Complimentary?!? complimentary for me means "on the house", paying £130 for that seems like a bad judgement IMHO.

I think he means wine pairing/matching. With tasting menus especially, there will be a wine chosen by the sommelier for each course. You are, in effect, buying a different glass of wine for each course. Some are chosen to compliment the food but some might be chosen to deliberately contrast.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
there will be a wine chosen by the sommelier for each course. You are, in effect, buying a different glass of wine for each course. Some are chosen to compliment the food but some might be chosen to deliberately contrast.

Sounds like a bit of a faff when you could just wash it all down with a couple of Stellas and an After Eight.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Went there a couple of years ago and we had the 8 courser with the wine flight.
Excellent food, great experience. Shouldn't have had the pre nosh lagers though.
Luckily booked a room for the night cos I wouldn't have managed even a walk outside to a taxi.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds like a bit of a faff when you could just wash it all down with a couple of Stellas and an After Eight.

Lamb vindaloo and a very cold Brewdog Punk IPA is a pairing I recommend. I'm not joking either. Try it and tell me I'm wrong. They are made for each other. Pairing it with two Punk IPAs is even better.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Been there and it was a fantastic experience. The Head Chef also competed on the Great British Menu last year. However, don't forget the 2013 Masterchef Champion is also Head Chef in The Camilla just down the hall at the South Lodge.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Been there and it was a fantastic experience. The Head Chef also competed on the Great British Menu last year. However, don't forget the 2013 Masterchef Champion is also Head Chef in The Camilla just down the hall at the South Lodge.

Went to the Camilla a few months back. Nothing to complain about, but too stuffy and formal for my liking. Much prefer somewhere more casual ... and cheaper.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I took the current Mrs Glawstergull there for lunch on Friday for our Wedding anniversary The food was wonderful, we had the 6 course menu with great variety and I also had the wine flight which allowed me to taste wines I would not have tried otherwise. the staff were great throughout.
I would highly recommend for a special occasion or if you just fancy spoiling yourself!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think he means wine pairing/matching. With tasting menus especially, there will be a wine chosen by the sommelier for each course. You are, in effect, buying a different glass of wine for each course. Some are chosen to compliment the food but some might be chosen to deliberately contrast.

Oh THAT sort of complimentary.... I've been sat with a friend in the Wick Inn drinking some Naked beer and it's broken my brain a bit!!!!!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Another one that's been and would recommend it's great watching them prepare the food and explaining what's being served. Although the portions seem small they are such quality that you will not go hungry but set a side several hours We didn't bother with the accompanying wine to keep the cost down and they don't give the hard sell so we felt it was value for money.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
See the trouble it starts just by misspelling 'complementary'.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Best meal I've had this year.

Same here. And it's more than just a meal -it's an experience that we'd never had in a restaurant before. The open kitchen means you really feel part of the action and we were lucky enough to have the table right at the front so the chefs are literally preparing the dishes inches away from where you're eating.
And to have the chefs then bring each dish
to your table personally and then explain them is a nice touch. Even Matt Gillan the head chef took time to talk to us and answer questions ( which was quite a thrill for my other half as she had been watching him cook on BBC1's Saturday Kitchen just a few days earlier!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here