Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betting advice please

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Today on twitter it was posted that Djokovic was 4/1 to beat Cilic, so I went on skybet to have a look cos I thought that was cracking odds, anyway it was 8/1 on, so I didn't bother,but while looking at various odds, i noticed that Djokovic to get an ace in his first service game was 6/4, and for him NOT to get an ace in his first service game was also 6/4, so with even my limited mathematical knowledge, i realised it was a no lose bet, so lumped on the most i have ever bet. I phoned my son to tell him the good news, and by the time he tried to put it on, one of the odds(for him to get an ace) had changed to 2/1 on. Now, my question is ,does Skybet have to honour the bet, or can they welch on it, and if they do, will i get my money back?

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Assuming you mean to the no lose either which way scenario, it could in essence go either way. It is kind of the bookies prerogative to do as it deems fit and they cover themselves in their terms and conditions for this.

Personally I have done similar bets before and never had an issue. I did get the bookies renege on my 40,000/1 for Sheff utd to beat someone like Oldham last year though. (I can understand why)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I backed both bets so will turn a profit, IF they pay out, but now having thought about it, I'm just worried I won't get my stake back if they null and void the winning bet, as it was obviously a mistake on their part

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No they can void the bet - what they term as a palpable error.
They don't always spot this though so you could be lucky.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They may pay you they may not. Any pay out will not be that significant as they have a 6/4 loser on their side. 10/1 & 10/1 would be less likely.
Telling people won't help either, next time keep quiet & it's less likely to be noticed.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Bets are not a valid contract and bookies don't have to pay out on any bet (i think they are debts of honour). They do of course to protect their reputation.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Don't be surprised if your account is restricted or even closed as they take a very dim view of arbers.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
On a similar note, BV have put us at 10/1 to be relegated. Some would view that as a booby. Most go less, and I would go about 4s. It is not a definite science and errors DO occur.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Today on twitter it was posted that Djokovic was 4/1 to beat Cilic, so I went on skybet to have a look cos I thought that was cracking odds, anyway it was 8/1 on, so I didn't bother,but while looking at various odds, i noticed that Djokovic to get an ace in his first service game was 6/4, and for him NOT to get an ace in his first service game was also 6/4, so with even my limited mathematical knowledge, i realised it was a no lose bet, so lumped on the most i have ever bet. I phoned my son to tell him the good news, and by the time he tried to put it on, one of the odds(for him to get an ace) had changed to 2/1 on. Now, my question is ,does Skybet have to honour the bet, or can they welch on it, and if they do, will i get my money back?

It's 1/2 not to get an ace not what you said ( to get an ace)...

Prey he gets an ace otherwise you will be out of pocket

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
It DOES happen, rarely I admit, where you can shop around (Oddschecker for example) and if firms take a certain view on a game then bets can be placed to a no lose scenario. The stakes may not be great, but a win is a win.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Sort of, but there is still the old palpable error chestnut, and a lot of on line operators will simply void the bet before the event, and when trying to contact them it s harder than making contact with Glenn Miller, Lord Lucan or Easy Jet

Technically, you could attempt to sue them for breach of contract. Can't see it being worth your while though

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here