Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

insults -voluntary code to stop them?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I hope you will allow an oldie a moment's self-indulgence! I have just dodged the dreadful showers in Alexandra Park, Hastings and spoken to some super people, who were friendly and affable. I could not help but contrast that with some of the NSC respondent's contributions these last couple of days which are quite offensive to others. Yes, the situation at the Albion is causing stress and strain, but nonetheless, it would be really good if we could all avoid insults aimed at others:

They are invariably unpleasant.
They are almost certainly unnecessary and unsubstantiated.
With the degree of anonymity afforded by such a forum, I suspect that they in any case don't represent the "real you".
The insults display an element of unwelcome arrogance - calling others a xxxx simply because they hold a different view, does not reflect well on respondents.
By all means put your view across with vigour, and, yes, you may find it hard to see the opposite opinion, and there is nothing wrong with saying so, but it does not follow that he/she is a xxxxxxxx

I have read many erudite comments on here this morning, far better than I could put together, and long may it continue, but please let us all avoid wild insults that serve absolutely no purpose.
Many thanks for your patience!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Get ready for the usual responses

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I hope you will allow an oldie a moment's self-indulgence! I have just dodged the dreadful showers in Alexandra Park, Hastings and spoken to some super people, who were friendly and affable. I could not help but contrast that with some of the NSC respondent's contributions these last couple of days which are quite offensive to others. Yes, the situation at the Albion is causing stress and strain, but nonetheless, it would be really good if we could all avoid insults aimed at others:

With the degree of anonymity afforded by such a forum, I suspect that they in any case don't represent the "real you".
The insults display an element of unwelcome arrogance - calling others a xxxx simply because they hold a different view, does not reflect well on respondents.
By all means put your view across with vigour, and, yes, you may find it hard to see the opposite opinion, and there is nothing wrong with saying so, but it does not follow that he/she is a xxxxxxxx

I have read many erudite comments on here this morning, far better than I could put together, and long may it continue, but please let us all avoid wild insults that serve absolutely no purpose.

I wholehearted agree with this but fear that things are not going so well, some football fans will always resort to the rant as a means of venting their frustration and those who subsequently disagree will often find themselves on the end of an abuse tirade. Such is life I guess.

To be honest I find it more distasteful at the stadium on match day. The vitriol hurled at our own players because of a misplaced pass etc beggars belief at times and has driven players like ashley barnes from the club.

I am happy to join in the debate on all things albion (it's true, sometimes things aren't the best) but during the 90 mins, our team and manager should be able to rely our total support and we certainly should not be entertaining booing our team off after a 1-1 draw.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
But sometimes people ARE complete ***** and need to be told. I hope your plea falls on deaf ears, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't like to abuse people who disagree with me. (Usually).

Can you imagine how boring this place would be without binfests and insults being hurled around.

Just a thought though, if you don't like it, maybe NSC is not the place for you.

Ya ****.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Many offensive trolls have endless resourcefulness for unkind, cruel, knobbish, expletive-ridden statements.

I fancy rather than a voluntary code the perpetrators should be made to speak in acronyms.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is a football messageboard, not a tea room at the Womens Institute.

I'd agree that a line needs to be drawn at mindless insults and abuse for the sake of it. But if I want to call someone a COCKSMOKER every now and then, I don't see the harm in that. We're all grown-ups. Mostly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I'd agree that a line needs to be drawn at mindless insults and abuse for the sake of it. But if I want to call someone a COCKSMOKER every now and then, I don't see the harm in that. We're all grown-ups. Mostly.

The comparison is of course stage-managed to lend a bit of credence to your view - do you see both the irony and contradiction of your post, I wonder.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But sometimes people ARE complete ***** and need to be told. I hope your plea falls on deaf ears, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't like to abuse people who disagree with me. (Usually).
I assume you see the contradiction in your post. I think I did mention that an element of arrogance is always associated with such comments and insults -you have decided that others are complete xxxxx. Do you think that you are -of course you don't.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The comparison is of course stage-managed to lend a bit of credence to your view - do you see both the irony and contradiction of your post, I wonder.

Not quite sure who appointed you as headmaster of NSC, but ok. I'll indulge.

NSC is what it is - an open forum for debate. Sometimes you get polarised views, and often debate gets heated. That can often lead to some choice language and some insults flying about, but by and large anything that crosses over into unnecessary outright abuse gets taken care of by the mods. The worst swearwords words are ****'d out now anyway. If you're wanting to be on a nice, polite, totally sanitised messageboard where everyone asks for more tea vicar, oh after you Claude, then this might not be the place for you.

NSC is a massively active, vibrant and successful messageboard which has thrived for well over 15 years, long, long before your 107 posts arrived on the scene. So plenty of people like it just how it is. There is no reason to change it, or to ban insults. Its part of the game. If you don't like it, then well sir, you know where the door is.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I assume you see the contradiction in your post. I think I did mention that an element of arrogance is always associated with such comments and insults -you have decided that others are complete xxxxx. Do you think that you are -of course you don't.

Actually, no, I can't see the contradiction. Please point it out.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

And did those feet in ancient times, walk upon Eng...oh you said NOT the WI.

Sorry :dunce:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not quite sure who appointed you as headmaster of NSC, but ok. I'll indulge.

NSC is what it is - an open forum for debate. Sometimes you get polarised views, and often debate gets heated. That can often lead to some choice language and some insults flying about, but by and large anything that crosses over into unnecessary outright abuse gets taken care of by the mods. The worst swearwords words are ****'d out now anyway. If you're wanting to be on a nice, polite, totally sanitised messageboard where everyone asks for more tea vicar, oh after you Claude, then this might not be the place for you.

NSC is a massively active, vibrant and successful messageboard which has thrived for well over 15 years, long, long before your 107 posts arrived on the scene. So plenty of people like it just how it is. There is no reason to change it, or to ban insults. Its part of the game. If you don't like it, then well sir, you know where the door is.

People often use exaggerated examples to give some credence to their view -a comparison such as this is absurd, as I am sure that deep down you know. You are right in that NSC is a vibrant community and debate will get heated - I am quite happy with that. As you say it is a forum for airing views and perhaps even learning from others, which does not need to go into abuse, for the reasons I mentioned in my initial statement. Fascinatingly, you then go on to talk of plenty of people like it as it is - what you mean is that YOU like it and then resort to the usual tactic of a sweeping statement such as plenty of others, again to lend some credence to your view. I would imagine that plenty of people do not approve of wild insults, afterall is it really a regular feature of life? I have been around long enough not to be shocked by bad language and insults after 25 years of attachment with the Army and playing football myself, albeit to a poor standard, but am also long enough in the tooth to appreciate where it can all lead.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Hastings is a dump :drink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People often use exaggerated examples to give some credence to their view -a comparison such as this is absurd, as I am sure that deep down you know. You are right in that NSC is a vibrant community and debate will get heated - I am quite happy with that. As you say it is a forum for airing views and perhaps even learning from others, which does not need to go into abuse, for the reasons I mentioned in my initial statement. Fascinatingly, you then go on to talk of plenty of people like it as it is - what you mean is that YOU like it and then resort to the usual tactic of a sweeping statement such as plenty of others, again to lend some credence to your view. I would imagine that plenty of people do not approve of wild insults, afterall is it really a regular feature of life? I have been around long enough not to be shocked by bad language and insults after 25 years of attachment with the Army and playing football myself, albeit to a poor standard, but am also long enough in the tooth to appreciate where it can all lead.

Yup, plenty of people like NSC just as it is. Insults are part and parcel of it, people just get on with it. There's over a thousand people logged on here right now. 300,000 threads. Six and a half million posts. So I can say (quite sweepingly) that on the whole, based on that level of activity, people are happy with it.

If someone posts something utterly BONE then it stands to reason there's a high chance of that post attracting some derision. But nobody to my knowledge has ever died from being called a CJTC on here. Where "that can all lead" as you so cryptically put ?? If someone feels aggreived or insulted by something, then they can report the post to a mod. Job done. Life goes on.

Your desire to arbitrarily ban all insults from NSC would alter the fabric of the board, and would just give the mods yet another headache to police.

Just leave it be. Its FINE, really it is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here