Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage does Bloom question the recruitment set up?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Naylor has just tweeted that only one (Baldock) of the eight permanent signings started on Saturday.

By anyone's standards that is a dreadful return.

Makes you wonder whether you should give the recruitment policy back to the manager to run as it clearly hasn't worked well since Gus was here and had much more involvement in recruitment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. How do you know Bloom hasn't / isn't questioning recruitment?

2. The stat is telling, to a degree, but doesn't quite tell the full story...

Stockdale - injured
Hughes - injured
Toko - dev squad addition
Holla - on the bench
Colunga - on the bench
McCourt - was always intended to be a squad addition / 'from the bench' / something different
O'Grady - see McCourt

Who am I missing?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Naylor has just tweeted that only one (Baldock) of the eight permanent signings started on Saturday.

Makes you wonder whether you should give the recruitment policy back to the manager to run as it clearly hasn't worked well since Gus was here and had much more involvement in recruitment.

Tony Bloom is shrewd and astute enough to be continually questioning the recruitment process. That would be part of running a successful business. It could well be under constant discussion for all we know.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tony Bloom is shrewd and astute enough to be continually questioning the recruitment process. That would be part of running a successful business. It could well be under constant discussion for all we know.

Okay badly worded opening thread title. I'm sure he is questioning it all the time, but should he ditch it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

But our current manager said when he joined that he was happy to leave recruitment to someone else as he had never been involved in it before.

I agree with other that I am sure that it is constantly under review, but I do not believe that he will change the process, just perhaps the people involved in it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Stockdale - injured
Hughes - injured
Holla - on the bench
Colunga - on the bench
McCourt - was always intended to be a squad addition / 'from the bench' / something different
O'Grady - see McCourt

Who am I missing?

Baldock! :dunce:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But our current manager said when he joined that he was happy to leave recruitment to someone else as he had never been involved in it before.

I agree with other that I am sure that it is constantly under review, but I do not believe that he will change the process, just perhaps the people involved in it.

I would like to think that "happy to leave recruitment to someone else" does not mean that he would never be consulted about anything anywhere. He is just not leading it.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
The summer was a strange time. It went from not being sure that we'd even have enough players to put out a squad, to lauding the miracle work of Burke and Co in landing so many players in a few days. Now the dust has well and truly settled a clearer picture is emerging.

Whilst Orlandi, Lopez et al were not the most robust, they along with Ulloa, Barnes and a host of others, were technically very good (yes, even Barnes) and were very intelligent footballers (exclude Barnes from that statement). They could open up a game, read the game well, kept the ball well and created opportunities with patient, passing football. Wasn't always the most dynamic, exhilirating football but it worked. The outgoing have been replaced by a less technically gifted bunch, generally younger with less nous and as the evidence suggests not up to leading a play off charge - which would have been the clubs ambition this year. Throw in a rookie manager with little knowledge of the league, who clearly wanted and didn't get experienced support in his team, and you end up where we are.

The other problem for me is a team populated with loanees - hard to build a team ethic and style and inevitably hits the all important team spirit. It smacks a bit of Micky Adams Mk 2 - admittedly not as bad - but a transient team / squad who don't know what they are doing. Eighteen months of ar*ing around with recruitment is now biting us on the behind.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The summer was a strange time. It went from not being sure that we'd even have enough players to put out a squad, to lauding the miracle work of Burke and Co in landing so many players in a few days. Now the dust has well and truly settled a clearer picture is emerging.

Whilst Orlandi, Lopez et al were not the most robust, they along with Ulloa, Barnes and a host of others, were technically very good (yes, even Barnes) and were very intelligent footballers (exclude Barnes from that statement). They could open up a game, read the game well, kept the ball well and created opportunities with patient, passing football. Wasn't always the most dynamic, exhilirating football but it worked. The outgoing have been replaced by a less technically gifted bunch, generally younger with less nous and as the evidence suggests not up to leading a play off charge - which would have been the clubs ambition this year. Throw in a rookie manager with little knowledge of the league, who clearly wanted and didn't get experienced support in his team, and you end up where we are.

The other problem for me is a team populated with loanees - hard to build a team ethic and style and inevitably hits the all important team spirit. It smacks a bit of Micky Adams Mk 2 - admittedly not as bad - but a transient team / squad who don't know what they are doing. Eighteen months of ar*ing around with recruitment is now biting us on the behind.

Completely spot on post.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Barnes may be ridiculed for his intelligence off the football pitch, but on it he was right up there. One of the very few Albion players that could link with Vicente when he was here.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008

There was an interesting discussion on talksport this morning regarding Tottenham's recruitment policy and I think we have a similar setup, we seem to be focusing on signing just squad players and not quality first team starters, quantity over quality, either way I think it has been pretty poor that is clear. The club obviously want to maintain control in this area, its a debatable one as Poyet was a football man and could certainly spot a player (Ulloa etc) although granted we overspent on some of his signings. It certainly seems to be the modern way though this recruitment process and I cant see the club changing it.

The underlying issue is whether Hyypia is questioning the recruitment set up. Sami is undoubtedly getting the blame for the poor results. But he seems reluctant to accept that it is his tactics that are to blame. So is it the squad of players that has been presented to him?

It's essential that the manager / coach has confidence in the arrangements that the Club has in place to recruit players. If Hyypia is sacked, it will be essential that his replacement has faith in the recruitment set up. The big question is ... is there ANY potential manager out there who will be happy to work with the arrangements that the Club has put in place?

Stumpy Tim

Good post, though I would suggest that it is just as bad as Adams Mk 2, maybe worse.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I don't like being unfair or criticising unnecessarily. However this last few weeks it has become quite clear that our personal shopper has been coming home with the wrong goods. It is hardly surprising the chef can't dish up a decent meal when he is only given tripe to work with. Sorry to say that....but it is wearing me down now. :blush:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

Stockdale - injured
Hughes - injured
Holla - on the bench
Colunga - on the bench
O'Grady - see McCourt

Who am I missing?

There is no way that the club would have considered Toko a development squad addition - he'd played U21 for Switzerland (with some very good players) and well over 100 times for Grasshoppers in the top flight.

Up to now his signing has been a complete flop whichever way you look at it.

Defending the club too much, perhaps?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Stockdale - injured
Hughes - injured
Holla - on the bench
Colunga - on the bench
O'Grady - see McCourt

Who am I missing?

Was Toko fully aware that he was coming in as a "dev squad addition", considering he was starting regularly for a side in the Swiss Prem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here