Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Has his decision not to stay but to go to Southampton been pivotal to both clubs and would he have added the X factor we are so clearly missing?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Sami said from day 1 that he wanted someone with experiance of being a No2 who would tell him when he was making mistakes and when things needed changing.

I'm not saying that Jones isn't up to the job, but maybe inexperiance from the pair of them has a lot to do with our current situation.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sold most of their best players and reinvested in equally good for a massive profit.
Best business this season by far in any league.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If he's that amazing why is he a number 2 and not a number 1 ???

Any excuse to post this picture:

roy-hodgson-sammy-lee-536x361.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sold most of their best players and reinvested in equally good for a massive profit.

Agreed. And people were laughing at them. They basically succeeded at the same game we failed at.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Has his decision not to stay but to go to Southampton been pivotal to both clubs and would he have added the X factor we are so clearly missing?

Good question.

Koeman seems to be taking all the credit there. Not seen the little fella getting much press attention.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Absolutely, but the players who they have brought in are better than those that they palmed off on to Liverpool. Clyne is a better defender than Chambers at this stage of their development. They mugged United for Luke Shaw. Tadic, Pelle, Wagnama are the real deal, amongst other summer purchases they made. I for one thought they'd be in for a relegation battle after flogging so many of their 'top' players. Way off :lolol: I'll be surprised if they don't qualify for the Champions League this season. Could well win some domestic silverware as well. Remember being at the Withdean in April 2011, celebrating us beating them to the League 1 title. Seems an age ago.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No, can't be, everyone on here said what a lucky escape we had and that he was a dinosaur ! Here on NSC everyone is an expert on all things football.

Everyone? I certainly didn't. I may not have said anything at the time (can't remember) but I was certainly very disappointed when he went to Southampton.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If he's that amazing why is he a number 2 and not a number 1 ???

Any excuse to post this picture:

roy-hodgson-sammy-lee-536x361.jpg

Some people are better at being a no. 2 than a no. 1 - and there is no poo related implication in that statement.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good question.

Koeman seems to be taking all the credit there. Not seen the little fella getting much press attention.

That is because the little fella is assistant first team coach (note, not assistant manager), meaning effectively he is the fourth ranked coach at Southampton. I have it on good authority that Sammy Lee is little more than a chirpy motivator in the Charlie Oatway mould. Could we do with one of those? Possibly, but I feel Sami's tactical naivety is the bigger problem so a number two who excels in that area would be more useful.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I guess it's how you look at it but I know a few Saints fan who seem to think the manager is responsible for their form and not his assistant. Obviously, they must be mistaken as we ALL know it's Sammy Lee calling the shots and Koeman is just a figurehead...

Or maybe, Lee is just a useful component in a well oiled machine? Losing out on Lee isn't why we're not as good as some expected, it's a contributing factor, but I think if Hyypia was that keen to get in an experienced no. 2 we would have one by now.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I guess it's how you look at it but I know a few Saints fan who seem to think the manager is responsible for their form and not his assistant. Obviously, they must be mistaken as we ALL know it's Sammy Lee calling the shots and Koeman is just a figurehead...

Or maybe, Lee is just a useful component in a well oiled machine? Losing out on Lee isn't why we're not as good as some expected, it's a contributing factor, but I think if Hyypia was that keen to get in an experienced no. 2 we would have one by now.

As I just said Sammy Lee isn't assistant manager at Southampton. He is assistant first team coach, below the Manager, Assistant Manager and First Team Coach. He is a cone and bib carrier who will chirp up with some motivational nonsense every now and then, that is it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Absolutely, but the players who they have brought in are better than those that they palmed off on to Liverpool. Clyne is a better defender than Chambers at this stage of their development. They mugged United for Luke Shaw. Tadic, Pelle, Wagnama are the real deal, amongst other summer purchases they made. I for one thought they'd be in for a relegation battle after flogging so many of their 'top' players. Way off :lolol: I'll be surprised if they don't qualify for the Champions League this season. Could well win some domestic silverware as well. Remember being at the Withdean in April 2011, celebrating us beating them to the League 1 title. Seems an age ago.

funny isn't it...? well no not really..!!

thats what happens when you spend big bucks at office level and peanuts on players...!!

innit..?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sami said from day 1 that he wanted someone with experiance of being a No2 who would tell him when he was making mistakes and when things needed changing.

I'm not saying that Jones isn't up to the job, but maybe inexperiance from the pair of them has a lot to do with our current situation.

I'll say it then. I don't think Jones is up to the job. My rationale? Because he's sitting next to Hyppia on match days and can surely see that out team is all over the place. I don't see him making any contributions to tactical matters, or if he is Sami isn't listening to them.

I was surprised when Garcia wanted Nathan to go with him to Israel...he must be rated by him...I just don't get it.

I thought that we played well against Blackburn but that is a rare event these days.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'll say it then. I don't think Jones is up to the job. My rationale? Because he's sitting next to Hyppia on match days and can surely see that out team is all over the place. I don't see him making any contributions to tactical matters, or if he is Sami isn't listening to them.

I was surprised when Garcia wanted Nathan to go with him to Israel...he must be rated by him...I just don't get it.

Well based on EVERY game I've watched this season, he's not the one sitting next to Hyypia, he's often the one out on the edge of his technical area dishing out instructions. Whether Jones' instructions or right or not I don't know, but he's certainly not the quieter of the two...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here