Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady on his way to Sheffield United?

Bucharest49

May 12, 2014
Albion striker O'Grady is loan target for Blades

ALBION centre-forward Chris O’Grady has become a target again for Sheffield United.

Blades boss Nigel Clough has resurrected his interest in the Seagulls’ striker.

A loan return to the steel city for O’Grady, who had a spell with United’s cross-city rivals Sheffield Wednesday, could hinge on Albion manager Sami Hyypia landing the front man he is seeking before the transfer window for temporary deals shuts on November 27.

United wanted O’Grady in the summer, when Albion bought the 28-year-old from relegated Barnsley for £500,000 and awarded him a three-year contract in the wake of Leo Ulloa’s £8 million switch to Leicester.

Clough has injury problems in attack. He sees O’Grady as the solution to keep his side, currently eighth, on track in the congested League One promotion race.

O’Grady scored 15 goals in the Championship for Barnsley last season but has struggled to fit into Hyypia’s plans and playing style.

He was on the bench for Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers at the Amex in place of the unwell Craig Mackail-Smith and came on in the closing stages.

It was only the eighth time O’Grady has featured in Albion’s 17 league outings and he has started just five of them.

Hyypia revealed to The Argus last month O’Grady was not for sale but admitted Albion would be prepared to let him leave on loan.

The Finn said recently he wished O’Grady would make more forward runs, rather than coming to the ball.

O’Grady has also spoken about the difficulties he has encountered adapting to Albion’s tactics.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What is this "playing style" that the article refers to?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you are doing hangleton under 9's a disservice!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
COG got to be one of the worst signings we've ever made- let's cut our losses quickly and unload him

Far from the best but we've got a few even now that aren't even up to his standard imo.

Look at it £ for £ (cost/wages) he was far far from the worst

Even though I'm in a huge minority I think he could have done 'OK'

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Even though I'm in a huge minority I think he could have done 'OK'

He will be loaned out till Sami has gone, then bought back to play a starring roll in a formation that suits him.

A player joining a club is like a marriage. Its doomed to failure if the wife thinks she can change her husband once she's got him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He will be loaned out till Sami has gone, then bought back to play a starring roll in a formation that suits him.

A player joining a club is like a marriage. Its doomed to failure if the wife thinks she can change her husband once she's got him.

I'll think about that analogy on the way to work!

Many have been on his back since day 1, makes me think "we sold a striker for £8M+ and we bought one for £500K so he must be crap"

I'm not expert but I always thought he'd play as part of a Little and Large pairing but apart from once or twice he's been used mostly as a wide player. When he has teamed up with Baldock then the little guy has hardly done his bit.

COG holds the ball up as well as most and is a strong fella but he rarely has runners around him so I've got a lot of sympathy. Playing a "conventional" 4-4-2 I think he could have done really well but we'll never know.

Hope he goes to Sheff U and scores a boatload ... then it will be "well L1 is sh*t" ... even CMS could score there

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
How many strikers from oop north have come dahn sarf to play (?) for us and failed? Barn Door Billy . . . . a few others aren't there?

And how many went on to make a good career when played to their strengths?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here