Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper thread

Which goalkeeper would you play if all injury free and available?

• Al-Habsi

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Ankergren

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Stockdale

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Walton

Votes: 63 48.1%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Assuming all injury free and available which goalkeeper would you play for the rest of the season?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very pleased with Walton's progress but it has to be Stockdale. We are in a relegation battle and we need experienced players to get us out of the shit.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Stockdale.

I like Walton and I'm delighted to see him progressing but gently easing him into the side over a number of seasons would be far more beneficial.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Stockdale and maybe Walton on loan to a league 1 side so he gets regular football.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Al habsi, obviously. A class international keeper as opposed to a youngster learning his trade and a decent keeper who doesn't fill anyone with confidence.

But assuming he will be sent back by clueless, then Walton.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I wouldn't be shocked to see Walton go out on loan for the rest of the season in January. I think 6 months at a League 1/2 club would do him wonders. Not quite ready to be our number 1 just yet but it isn't that far away if he keeps progressing as he seems to be currently.

Stockdale back in for me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He will gain more from 6 months of first team football on loan than he will sitting on the bench and a few U21 games.

Would a league 1 or 2 side be prepared to take a 19yr old with 3 first team appearances to his name as a first choice keeper though? I've got my doubts and a loan deal would probably see him spending time as a back up keeper which he already does here.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Would a league 1 or 2 side be prepared to take a 19yr old with 3 first team appearances to his name as a first choice keeper though? I've got my doubts and a loan deal would probably see him spending time as a back up keeper which he already does here.
Depends on their current GK situation I guess. If he isn't going to play then font let him go but if they do want to play him then it's a no brainer.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

We took Wayne Henderson and Alan Blayney on loan.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Depends on their current GK situation I guess. If he isn't going to play then font let him go but if they do want to play him then it's a no brainer.

Unless we are going to sign another keeper to challenge Stockdale for the first team spot then I see no advantage to the club in sending Walton out on loan as it would leave us short of cover, especially as Ankergren is obviously not rated.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Unless we are going to sign another keeper to challenge Stockdale for the first team spot then I see no advantage to the club in sending Walton out on loan as it would leave us short of cover, especially as Ankergren is obviously not rated.

who said ankergren is not rated ?..... maybe we just rate Walton higher, and looking on his 3 displays you can see why

Stockdale is still our best keeper however.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Jack Butland made his name by doing just that (at Cheltenham, I think it was). He'd never played a single match for Birmingham prior to that.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think whilst Walton might make a couple mistakes and cost us say 4 points, that he's already good enough to gain us 4 points on the others and thus even out.

It would also though be developing him so that next season (and hopefully a couple more seasons there-after before he gets snapped up by a top 6 club to sit and be 4th string and ruin his England chances) he'd be even better and help us get back into the play-offs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here