Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remembrance Service at The Cenotaph.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just a thought,but am i alone in thinking after The Queen lays the first tribute should'nt actual veterans and their representives really file past The Cenotaph next before any 'here today gone tomorrow' politician lays a tribute ? Maybe if they had to stand around in the cold and wet for an hour or two it would give them time to reflect on their actions. Today is a day for the Veterans and the Nation surely ?:wave:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just a thought,but am i alone in thinking after The Queen lays the first tribute should'nt actual veterans and their representives really file past The Cenotaph next before any 'here today gone tomorrow' politician lays a tribute ? Maybe if they had to stand around in the cold and wet for an hour or two it would give them time to reflect on their actions. Today is a day for the Veterans and the Nation surely ?:wave:

Are you a relative of BensGrandad:moo:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I don't actually think this is 'awkward' thread Simmo,but yes i can see where you coming from in these 'troubled' times on NSC. However as to my O/Post any coment ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They're not laying wreaths as 'here today, gone tomorrow' politicians, they're laying them in their official capacities as members of Her Majesty's Government and Loyal Opposition - and as the direct descendents of the politicians who sent the soldiers into battle in the first place. If you want them to wait then the Queen should as well.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Fair point,and maybe The Queen should be last (apart from HRM) i find it sad to see after 10/15 mins CMD and co disappear inside. Today is for those who never came back.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think that The Queen, the Government, Heads of State etc laying their wreaths first pays homage to the fallen and all those who have fought for our freedom.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No issues,just mine is opposite. Whether it is CMD,Trust me Tony,etc . Just let them stand ,wait and reflect.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No issues,just mine is opposite. Whether it is CMD,Trust me Tony,etc . Just let them stand ,wait and reflect.

and after all it was the politicians who got them into the wars ......................as Blackadder said we are right behind you, yeh 35 miles behind or at home in bed

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
glas,just my veiw. Maybe even The Queen last, i am sure most peop;e would see that as the final act of remembrance ?

Right from its inception, the shape and form of the ceremony at the Cenotaph has been dictated by the wishes of the monarch. It's clearly more "democratic" these days, but it's unlikely ever to become a people's day.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Lord/B i am not asking for a peoples day,just why should the 'Politician' of the day be after HRM ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Leeky, its the role / position not the person. The Queen has been our Monarch for 50 odd years, Cameron has been PM for only 4½ - it matters not.

Those poor souls gave their life for their country - that's the Monarch and the Government - those at the Cenotaph are merely the current representatives.

History test, who was the last Monarch to lead his troops into the battle, from the front?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I dont care if they are second to the queen or bringing up the back in last place. What matters is they fully comprehend the significance of the act and the weight of making the decision to send the military to battle is heavy on their shoulders with the eyes of those that know what that truly means are burning into the back of their heads.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Didn't the war widows used to lay their wreathes two days before the Sunday ceremony and the establishment remove them on the Sunday morning as it should be clear for the royal family etc to lay theirs?

Leeky, its the role / position not the person. The Queen has been our Monarch for 50 odd years, Cameron has been PM for only 4½ - it matters not.

Those poor souls gave their life for their country - that's the Monarch and the Government - those at the Cenotaph are merely the current representatives.

History test, who was the last Monarch to lead his troops into the battle, from the front?

George II.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here