Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stand or Fall

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For anyone unaware of why these words appear at the back of the North Stand...

From the Kohima Epitaph

When you go home
Tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow
We gave our today.

From Sussex by the Sea

And when you go to Sussex,
Whoever you may be
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
not sure what the connection is here, Sussex by the Sea is a military marching song adopted by the Royal Sussex Regiment W.W 1
Kohima is W.W 2 and by the way my Grandfather is buried there

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For anyone unaware of why these words appear at the back of the North Stand...

From the Kohima Epitaph

When you go home
Tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow
We gave our today.

From Sussex by the Sea

And when you go to Sussex,
Whoever you may be
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea

More people are singing these words now, but I do wish we'd save 'And we're going up to win the Cup' for...well...Cup games. Sing the proper words!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
More people are singing these words now, but I do wish we'd save 'And we're going up to win the Cup' for...well...Cup games. Sing the proper words!

It was always ' And we're going up AND we'll win the cup. Back in the day anyway. For the record I sing the stand or fall version.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
To win the cup......

Wrong. And we're going up.....that meant getting promoted........ And we'll win the cup. Always was back in the 70s. It's only the last few years going up to win the cup has crept in.

Dandyman

In London village.
The 9th Bn. of the Royal Sussex fought in the Arakan campaign and in North-West Burma. I'm not sure if that included Kohima or not ?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Wrong. And we're going up.....that meant getting promoted........ And we'll win the cup. Always was back in the 70s. It's only the last few years going up to win the cup has crept in.

There's your mistake. You didn't specify the dates I had to go back to. 80s onwards was always "and were going up to win the cup"

Pre 80s your knowledge is better than mine

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

To win the cup is what i sung in the 80's and 90's so it is not something that has only started in the last few years.

Maybe if we had thought it matters back then as much as it seems to nowadays we would have had taken out ads, had words printed in the programme, used message boards and song sheets to get the words right (but which i mean we all sing the same words (but does it matter if we are all singing anyway?))

Too many people worried about singing things correctly and how it sounds rather than just joining in and making noise to get behind the team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To win the cup is what i sung in the 80's and 90's so it is not something that has only started in the last few years.

Maybe if we had thought it matters back then as much as it seems to nowadays we would have had taken out ads, had words printed in the programme, used message boards and song sheets to get the words right (but which i mean we all sing the same words (but does it matter if we are all singing anyway?))

Too many people worried about singing things correctly and how it sounds rather than just joining in and making noise to get behind the team.

Those of us who sang it in the 70's never saw the words written down , you picked up the words from those around you. Probably the reason why more than one version exists but everybody still thinks the version they sing is the proper one. Slight variations on songs sung at The Goldstone could depend if you were North Stand or South Stand and/or from East or West Sussex.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Those of us who sang it in the 70's never saw the words written down , you picked up the words from those around you. Probably the reason why more than one version exists but everybody still thinks the version they sing is the proper one. Slight variations on songs sung at The Goldstone could depend if you were North Stand or South Stand and/or from East or West Sussex.

Which was the point i was making. And or To, what does it really matter as long as we are making some noise. I expect it changed due to the FA cup final but as with a lot of our older songs, there are many versions as people hear and interpret what they hear being sung differently (Oh Lads / Oh my lads / Oh the lads...you should have seen us coming, everywhere was blue and white....etc. Sadly nowadays, they are all sung far too quickly for anyone else to even have a guess at the words. (Suss by C?)

Songs work better if started at a game and others hear this and join in. A lot of songs look or sound rubbish when written down on a message board where they have little or no meaning (and usually met with i won't sing that, it's sh#T, etc..) Would It's F#@king brilliant worked as a chant if it originated on here? - i doubt it. Too many naysayers on here and songs would't get a chance to succeed or fail.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Which was the point i was making. And or To, what does it really matter as long as we are making some noise. I expect it changed due to the FA cup final but as with a lot of our older songs, there are many versions as people hear and interpret what they hear being sung differently (Oh Lads / Oh my lads / Oh the lads...you should have seen us coming, everywhere was blue and white....etc. Sadly nowadays, they are all sung far too quickly for anyone else to even have a guess at the words. (Suss by C?)

Songs work better if started at a game and others hear this and join in. A lot of songs look or sound rubbish when written down on a message board where they have little or no meaning (and usually met with i won't sing that, it's sh#T, etc..) Would It's F#@king brilliant worked as a chant if it originated on here? - i doubt it. Too many naysayers on here and songs would't get a chance to succeed or fail.

I remember a post from one NSCer who took a northern mate to a game who got a bit confused when he thought we were singing "good old sausage pie and peas" :lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I remember a post from one NSCer who took a northern mate to a game who got a bit confused when he thought we were singing "good old sausage pie and peas" :lolol:

Maybe some were, it could be anyother version thats sung by a few fans :lolol:

I was at the Spurs match and they sang Oh when the Spurs go marhcing in really slowly (and clearly) and i thought it sounded quite good but the comments from the lads behind us was that it was a boring song. I guess because it was so slow and they seem to link the speed at which something is sung to the excitement / entertainment level to go with it and therefore explains why most of our current songs are often just mumbled, undecypherable, meaningless garbage - Sing it slow and proudly ffs rather than the current tendancy to rush to get it over and done with and we'd find more would join in because half the time as soon as someone realises what they were singing, they have already finished singing it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe some were, it could be anyother version thats sung by a few fans :lolol:

I was at the Spurs match and they sang Oh when the Spurs go marhcing in really slowly (and clearly) and i thought it sounded quite good but the comments from the lads behind us was that it was a boring song. I guess because it was so slow and they seem to link the speed at which something is sung to the excitement / entertainment level to go with it and therefore explains why most of our current songs are often just mumbled, undecypherable, meaningless garbage - Sing it slow and proudly ffs rather than the current tendancy to rush to get it over and done with and we'd find more would join in because half the time as soon as someone realises what they were singing, they have already finished singing it.

Even "Tony Bloom's Blue And White Army" has been speeded up this season

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
The 9th Bn. of the Royal Sussex fought in the Arakan campaign and in North-West Burma. I'm not sure if that included Kohima or not ?

My grandad died at Kohima he was in a company of Royal Engineers, i believe the West Kents were the main Regiment and some Indians, however im no expert on this topic

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always sing the Stand or Fall version. Was disappointed that people around me sang the cup version, yesterday of all days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here