Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This comes up every year, you can't claim to be surprised?

Presumably their rationale is the same or similar to that expressed yesterday by James McLean. Whilst I think the act of Remembrance is extremely important, I also think it has to be a personal decision to express that by the physical act of wearing a poppy or whatever.

After all: isn't it the remembering and caring that's what's key here? If somebody were to wear a poppy but not actually give a toss or think about the meaning of it, what would be the point? Like somebody wearing a crucifix whilst not believing in God.

Presumably they will observe the minute's silence.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
So what if they don't have poppies?

Looking around on the streets on Brighton, I didn't see that many people wearing them. There were some older folk and military forces wearing them but the vast majority were not. It doesn't mean they were not remembering the fallen but there were people like me who didn't want to publicly express their support which is our right.

Before people verbally abuse me (as a couple of rude people did in another 'poppy' thread), I was at my church today remembering the fallen. We had prayers, the last post, National Anthem and Jerusalem...

Stop judging people whether they wear a poppy or not. It demeaning. It doesn't make you any better as a person wearing one, or not. People are free to express their support as little or as much as they like.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Looking around on the streets on Brighton, I didn't see that many people wearing them. There were some older folk and military forces wearing them but the vast majority were not. It doesn't mean they were not remembering the fallen but there were people like me who didn't want to publicly express their support which is our right.

Before people verbally abuse me (as a couple of rude people did in another 'poppy' thread), I was at my church today remembering the fallen. We had prayers, the last post, National Anthem and Jerusalem...

Stop judging people whether they wear a poppy or not. It demeaning. It doesn't make you any better as a person wearing one, or not. People are free to express their support as little or as much as they like.

Couldn't care less as to whether you wore one or not, but I'm interested in your reasoning as to not wanting to be seen as publically supporting it?

Did you leave church with a blanket over your head and jump right into a blacked out car?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Not many fans were wearing them yesterday either but that doesn't mean those that weren't were any less respectful of the sacrifices made on our behalf by so many.

In many ways those that do 'remember' and support the British Legion in private without the public show of doing so are to be admired.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't care less as to whether you wore one or not, but I'm interested in your reasoning as to not wanting to be seen as publically supporting it?

Did you leave church with a blanket over your head and jump right into a blacked out car?

Taking it a bit far, IMHO. Perhaps he feels like the act of remembrance itself is more important than being seen to be remembering.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Taking it a bit far, IMHO. Perhaps he feels like the act of remembrance itself is more important than being seen to be remembering.

Exactly. Our church was packed out with kids, parents and older folk. About half were wearing poppies but they were still there supporting the act of remembrance. It's the remembrance that is important not the material symbols, in my opinion. :)

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

Why should he justify it to you? Are you a superior being?

People can show respect in their own way.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Why do people waste their lives on here debating this crap? Where does it get you? Switch off your computers, step outside and reclaim your lives, it's a lovely day out there. See you down on the prom.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
wonder if there were any Celtic players that wanted to wear the poppy?
would they be given the chance to do so by the club or would they vilified by their own supporters who booed and sang through the minutes silence?

el punal

This comes up every year, you can't claim to be surprised?

Presumably their rationale is the same or similar to that expressed yesterday by James McLean. Whilst I think the act of Remembrance is extremely important, I also think it has to be a personal decision to express that by the physical act of wearing a poppy or whatever.

After all: isn't it the remembering and caring that's what's key here? If somebody were to wear a poppy but not actually give a toss or think about the meaning of it, what would be the point? Like somebody wearing a crucifix whilst not believing in God.

Presumably they will observe the minute's silence.
I read an article regarding James McClean's objection to wearing a poppy. In his view, as he comes from Derry, he regards the poppy as symbol of "hate" rather than remembrance because of Bloody Sunday. Fair enough. That is fine if he chooses not to wear one in "his own time" so to speak.

However, on Friday, he was selected to play for Wigan (his employers) and to wear a club shirt with a poppy on it. He objected (as he did when playing for Sunderland) and then played in a shirt sans poppy.

Fine. Except in my view he was representing his club, and in line with all other Premier and Football League clubs, were endorsing the wearing of a poppy as an act of remembrance throughout the country. If he felt that strongly about it he should have asked not be selected and thereby saved embarrassing Wigan, and bringing widespread abuse on himself.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Wigans james mcclean wrote a letter to his board saying why as an irishman hr wouldnt wear a poppy its in the independent online and was very interesting and explain why he eouldnt wear it. I personally dont wear on I understand theae men died but feel especially the first world war the leaders of this country treated human life with so little care poppy day now seems to glorify this aswell as most recent wars which I object to. These men/women today choose to be trained as killers and then go out and kill get hurt and then come back expecting to be heroes.

Ironically people will no doubt come on here saying "they died for your freedom" but dont understand when someone exercises their fight of freedom NOT to wear one.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I read an article regarding James McClean's objection to wearing a poppy. In his view, as he comes from Derry, he regards the poppy as symbol of "hate" rather than remembrance because of Bloody Sunday. Fair enough. That is fine if he chooses not to wear one in "his own time" so to speak.

However, on Friday, he was selected to play for Wigan (his employers) and to wear a club shirt with a poppy on it. He objected (as he did when playing for Sunderland) and then played in a shirt sans poppy.

Fine. Except in my view he was representing his club, and in line with all other Premier and Football League clubs, were endorsing the wearing of a poppy as an act of remembrance throughout the country. If he felt that strongly about it he should have asked not be selected and thereby saved embarrassing Wigan, and bringing widespread abuse on himself.

I found myself wondering what people's views would have been if Paddy McCourt- also being from Derry- had expressed the same view.

(I had a little look at the match worn shirts online and his, poppy and all, is definitely on there).

I see what you're saying, but I don't think McLean has either disgraced Wigan or himself. Perhaps if he'd written that letter a couple of years ago, when this all first kicked off, he'd have had less flak in the meantime. I felt it was quite eloquently written.

On the subject of poppies, I've just seen a Pompey player kissing the poppy on his shirt when he scored a penalty at Fratton Park a couple of minutes ago. Perhaps he has his personal reasons. But that looked a bit odd to me too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's a world of difference between paying respects to the fallen, and buying a product made by the Royal British Legion, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Was Hyypia wearing one yesterday?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Wigans james mcclean wrote a letter to his board saying why as an irishman hr wouldnt wear a poppy its in the independent online and was very interesting and explain why he eouldnt wear it. I personally dont wear on I understand theae men died but feel especially the first world war the leaders of this country treated human life with so little care poppy day now seems to glorify this aswell as most recent wars which I object to. These men/women today choose to be trained as killers and then go out and kill get hurt and then come back expecting to be heroes

I may be wrong, I hope I am, but I suspect you may get some criticism for this post.

In many ways I agree with your post, I choose to remember the millions who died, they were very often the pawns in the hands of politicians and the military hierarchy. Those who volunteered for service in the First World War were in most cases totally unaware of the political reality of why we were fighting nor of what fighting on the Western Front entailed. When the reality started to filter back conscription had to be imposed in order to replace the huge numbers being lost.

It's not the military I remember on Armistice Day but the poor souls who lost their lives fighting for what they believed was a just cause and also those who fought and died because they had no choice. Remembrance ceremonies should in my opinion be a civilian affair - by all means include veterans remembering their fallen comrades but there is no need for an overt military presence at such events.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Andy Murray has one on his sleeve (playing now)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's disgusting, isn't it?! I mean, what on earth did those men and women die for in world war 2? If people are expressing their political opinions, it's time to open up concentration camps and exterminate them for having a different view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here