Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something positive to cheer up the moaners

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
On a trip to London this week, I was chatting to a Chelsea supporting taxi driver, who's son played in a very good youth side in London, where most of the team have ended up at Pro clubs and when he found out I was a Brighton fan, he said ' you are very lucky' as he said that most good young kids in London want to come to the Albion. as the facilities and chances to get in the teams was very good. He said we had just signed a very good young keeper called 'Bradley' ? that every London club wanted. He also stated that Chelsea were getting a bit annoyed that we seem to be getting all the good youngsters.... So anyway, carry on moaning about everything, but think you will find that this club is going in a very nice direction.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On a trip to London this week, I was chatting to a Chelsea supporting taxi driver, who's son played in a very good youth side in London, where most of the team have ended up at Pro clubs and when he found out I was a Brighton fan, he said ' you are very lucky' as he said that most good young kids in London want to come to the Albion. as the facilities and chances to get in the teams was very good. He said we had just signed a very good young keeper called 'Bradley' ? that every London club wanted. He also stated that Chelsea were getting a bit annoyed that we seem to be getting all the good youngsters.... So anyway, carry on moaning about everything, but think you will find that this club is going in a very nice direction.

Cabbies always know the score :thumbsup:

It is interesting to see the U18 squad are doing so well this season (second in the Premier League, behind only Chelsea, last time I looked), particularly compared to the U21s.

I think it will take time for the club to really see the benefits of the new Academy and facilities, and that people will need to be patient, but it would be tremendous for everyone involved if we really can start to produce quality youngsters. It's not something we've ever been renowned for previously.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They'll have an even better chance of getting in the team in league 1:moo:

I think probably the last paragraph of the OPs post was directed toward you.

Though I do suspect there is more than a healthy number of supposed BHA fans that suffer from ' General Anxiety Disorder'. It is treatable, unfortunately having that condition usually prevents the sufferer from realising they do have it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Cabbies always know the score :thumbsup:

It is interesting to see the U18 squad are doing so well this season (second in the Premier League, behind only Chelsea, last time I looked), particularly compared to the U21s.

I think it will take time for the club to really see the benefits of the new Academy and facilities, and that people will need to be patient, but it would be tremendous for everyone involved if we really can start to produce quality youngsters. It's not something we've ever been renowned for previously.

There's one sentence in there I disagree with. The rest are extremely wise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And any decent youngster will look at Hyypia and the IPad Kid in charge and will go elsewhere
But the OP is saying that the evidence is they're not going elsewhere, they're coming here.
the Gus factor of tempting decent players is long gone
But Gus didn't give our youngsters a chance, remember?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And any decent youngster will look at Hyypia and the IPad Kid in charge and will go elsewhere, the Gus factor of tempting decent players is long gone

How many brilliant young players did Poyet bring into the side, could you remind us?

I wonder if anyone knows how many of our loacally grown Under 16's were released yesterday in favour of youngsters brought in from elsewhere.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Who cares about the Twatty poyet?
He's gone thank god and that's about the size of it...Some fans need to realise the club was on a crest of a wave back then and had a good budget..Thats why we sort of had success although with the squad we had poyet underachieved in my opinion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bridcutt for one

I read the O/P as relating more to youth development, picking up the best kids around and turning them into footballers though.

Whilst Bridcutt was no old fogey, he was already a professional footballer when he was released by Chelsea, aged 20 or so. We didn't exactly develop him from scratch. We just gave him game time and allowed him to flourish.

Besides- he'd already been binned off by other clubs. He just wanted to play football. I'm not sure if it was Poyet that tempted him, or the fact that he didn't actually have any other offers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The point should be we now have the facilities and player development path to tempt the promising youngsters from up North.

As loathed as I am to defend Poyet, that wasn't available to Gus.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I read the O/P as relating more to youth development, picking up the best kids around and turning them into footballers though.

Whilst Bridcutt was no old fogey, he was already a professional footballer when he was released by Chelsea, aged 20 or so. We didn't exactly develop him from scratch. We just gave him game time and allowed him to flourish.

Besides- he'd already been binned off by other clubs. He just wanted to play football. I'm not sure if it was Poyet that tempted him, or the fact that he didn't actually have any other offers.

Depends on how you mean brought them in, Poyet nurtured and developed a youngster discarded by Chelsea into a Premier League player , not bad in my book.

As for the kids, I've waited 50+ years for an Albion youngster to come through the youth etc into a first team 20 a goal season merchant, when that day comes will be the day our set up is vindicated. At the moment we pick up loads of youngster who go on to just disappear without trace

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As for the kids, I've waited 50+ years for an Albion youngster to come through the youth etc into a first team 20 a goal season merchant, when that day comes will be the day our set up is vindicated. At the moment we pick up loads of youngster who go on to just disappear without trace

Quite. And I think that's the point. We've been really poor at this in the past, but the hope is that now, finally we're in a position to firstly attract the best of the youngsters in the first place (including ones who might previously have gone to places like Palace), and that secondly we have the infrastructure and coaching in place to turn them into great players. That's what the O/P was saying.

S

smileyweb

Y
The point should be we now have the facilities and player development path to tempt the promising youngsters from up North.

I thought the same, but someone from the club told me that they need to live within 90 mins of the Academy, so unless their family want to move down...

Don't know if that's kosher but it was from someone that *should* know the score, involved in youth coaching.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Quite. And I think that's the point. We've been really poor at this in the past, but the hope is that now, finally we're in a position to firstly attract the best of the youngsters in the first place (including ones who might previously have gone to places like Palace), and that secondly we have the infrastructure and coaching in place to turn them into great players. That's what the O/P was saying.

Indeed. And we must be getting something right at the club for Walton, JFC, Ince and Dunk all to be playing in the first team now, as the thread about youngsters earlier today showed. It shouldn't be too long before a 20 goal a season merchant appears (fingers crossed).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. And we must be getting something right at the club for Walton, JFC, Ince and Dunk all to be playing in the first team now, as the thread about youngsters earlier today showed. It shouldn't be too long before a 20 goal a season merchant appears (fingers crossed).

We've only waited 113 years so far, what's another couple between friends? :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Y

I thought the same, but someone from the club told me that they need to live within 90 mins of the Academy, so unless their family want to move down...

Don't know if that's kosher but it was from someone that *should* know the score, involved in youth coaching.

I think that rule was abolished when the Elite Player Performance Plan was brought in a couple of years ago.

Either that, or it means the clubs with the highest graded academies, ie ours, can recruit players from further afield anyway.

I think when the previous posted said "up north", he meant pretty much anywhere, by the way, not just the traditional definition of north! Croydon is north :)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We've only waited 113 years so far, what's another couple between friends? :)

Well exactly. Patience is the key here...:thumbsup:

Since being at the Amex, have any of the youngsters actually flopped when they have been promoted to or filled in for the first team? Fenelon wasn't great but I am struggling to think of anyone who was really poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here