Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ipswich comparison

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Like BHA they are attempting to be FFP compliant.

I believe they started this season without spending a penny on transfers fees - all new players were freebies or loans.

Manager who would be seen by many on here as a dinosaur.

Smaller home crowds than BHA

Fourth in the Championship.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
So, they are having a good season. Good luck to them. Where were they last season and the season before when we were in the play-offs?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

I believe they started this season without spending a penny on transfers fees - all new players were freebies or loans.

Yep, they are having a fantastic season, did OK last year as well. Interesting to know their recruitment model, do they have a DOF or is it down to McCarthy. Very settled and experienced manager and assistant, unlike ourselves

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Fascinating thread -obviously we would want to have rather more flesh on bones to make an informed comment, and no doubt some will come on here who have rather more experience of Ipswich than I do. Over the years, I have often compared us with the two east Anglian clubs in terms of potential and support - not in a recognised industrial centre, both miles from other clubs and the established team for that county with a large fan base, though possibly not quite as big as ours. Now,how do we compare in terms of success over the years, do you think?!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So, they are having a good season. Good luck to them. Where were they last season and the season before when we were in the play-offs?

Also worth pointing out that they've got the same manager that they ended the season with. I'm sure the continuity of having the same man in charge is a benefit when it comes to close season transfer windows.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is history we are talking this season, what Gus and Oscar achieved or nearly achieved is immaterial to our position now.

They also have 2 prolific scorers in Murphy and McGoldrick. As per another thread they have a decent spine to the team.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Mick McCarthy a experienced man, who knows this division and the players in it inside out and has an eye for a bargain....Sammi Hyypia a man with zero experience of this league and who gets his players given to him by an ex youth scout. Where the comparison with Ipswich is, is beyond me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mick McCarthy a experienced man, who knows this division and the players in it inside out and has an eye for a bargain....Sammi Hyypia a man with zero experience of this league and who gets his players given to him by an ex youth scout. Where the comparison with Ipswich is, is beyond me.
Sami is also the manager you were all in favour of, just 3 months ago.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Also Ipswich have had plenty of quieter seasons, and haven't ripped up the league in any fashion before this season. Maybe it it is a period of stability, a period of recruiting to 1 managers plan etc etc. Too early to be making those comparisons yet in my opinion. We have had 2 seasons of managerial mayhem ... Poyet from early 2012, Garcia from before end of last season, and now some of the biggest changes in playing personnel at 1st team level. Derby have been average apart from last seasons, forest have been poor before last season, wolves were relegated, Middlesbrough have been average. I Just think there is a period of building to do, and a period of suffering whilst that is happening. Another change of manager may have an impact but only if the players have lost faith in Sami, and none of us know that.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
That is history we are talking this season, what Gus and Oscar achieved or nearly achieved is immaterial to our position now.

They also have 2 prolific scorers in Murphy and McGoldrick. As per another thread they have a decent spine to the team.

Hardly history. Anyway, the point I was making, rather too cryptically it would seem, is that comparisons can be invidious. No Brighton supporter would have been able to make that comparison in 2012-13 or 13-14 because we finished above Ipswich. The trend is important, not the moment. Historically, how often have Brighton finished above Ipswich for two seasons in a row. I can't be bothered to look it up, but not often, if ever, would be my guess.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sami is also the manager you were all in favour of, just 3 months ago.

Yep you are 100% right. I was fully behind Sammi and his appointment, I won't deny that...Since then we have seen he is clueless and we have steadily been going backwards not getting better. Then you hear his interviews and he doesn't sound like he has any idea how to turn things round.....Haven't you ever seen a bird who you really fancied and got it on with. Only to find out a few weeks later without the make up, she is actually a bit of a pig???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's one key thing Mick Mac has had over Sami, and that's:-

TIME.

Time to develop his team.
Time to develop his ideas.
Time to work with the structure.
Time to prove himself to the Ipswich fans who wanted him out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep you are 100% right. I was fully behind Sammi and his appointment, I won't deny that...Since then we have seen he is clueless and we have steadily been going backwards not getting better. Then you hear his interviews and he doesn't sound like he has any idea how to turn things round....

I think (hope) everyone was behind him at the start, but what became apparent fairly quickly is tactically he is lacking. There is no flexibility of approach and odd team selection.

Although we didn't know it at the time, the missing out on Sammy Lee has been key.

I feel sorry for Sami and would love this post to be bounced, but if we are to improve both he and Burke need to go IMO.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Experienced manager and assistant manager with a proven record at this level is the difference and they have been able to decide who comes and goes within their budget constraints.

Or model is bizarre we go through a crazy number of cheaper players find that most are not up to so then go and spend more by signing a squad of loan's, resulting in us spending more than if we had just bitten the bullet in the first place.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's the Alex Ferguson conundrum....it's a time issue.....possibly? or Possibly not...how we end this season should start to answer the questions we all want answered now.

It might or might not be the right choice with Sami and the splinters are certainly hurting right now as it's wet and windy up here on this fence,but goals against has improved.

Hoding me up on the fence is the realisation that we are in transition and that after what amounts to almost (not to be disrepectful to those who genuinly have/are/will have had) akin to open heart surgery and we all don't wish to go through that again,it's costly for the club and well let's just say that perhaps if things have not improved within the next 10 games then perhaps we should be looking for a change.

Football managers do not get enough time and what this club really needs right now is stability on the managerial side of things.

I'd hold on a little longer with Sami if i was Tony,besides what is the worst that can happen?

The worst would be a step backwards,but several steps ahead of our darkest hour and we all know we came through that in the end..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think we need someone with a bit of nous and experience to steady the ship.

What adjustments would you make?

I would immediately bring in somebody like Lennie Lawrence to help Sami or if needed ask him if he wants somebody he knows and could work with from his days at Liverpool, somebody in the mould of Terry McDermott, although I think he is working for a club.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

They've won the Premier League [1st division], the FA Cup and the UEFA cup . They've always punched above their weight in terms of the catchment area. You just have to get it into your head folks that although it's not a league of world beaters there are no shrinking violets. Let's get real!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Experienced manager and assistant manager with a proven record at this level is the difference and they have been able to decide who comes and goes within their budget constraints.

Or model is bizarre we go through a crazy number of cheaper players find that most are not up to so then go and spend more by signing a squad of loan's, resulting in us spending more than if we had just bitten the bullet in the first place.

Do you have any evidence of that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here