Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spine of the team

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was having a discussion yesterday about the spine of our team, and how weak it is in terms of ability and 'leaders'.

Comparing those of years gone by and more recently, I think it is apparent that currently, it is considerably weaker.

Examples:

1979/80 - Moseley - Foster/Rollings - Horton - Ward

Poyet League 1 - Casper - Greer - Kishishev/Bridcutt - Murray

Poyet Play-Off - Kuszczak - Greer - Bridcutt - Ulloa

Garcia Play-Off - Kuszczak - Greer - Andrews/Ince/JFC - Ulloa

Current: Stockdale - Greer - JFC/Holla/Ince - BaldockDi

To me, in comparison we look considerably weaker currently than previous years.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would say Stephens will be our key midfielder when fit.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Central. Sitting in front of the back four

D

Deleted member 2719

I also have thought we have a weak spine in players ability and leaders. Greer is exposed in this system as he is used to picking up the scraps IMO he is a excellent sweeper but very average at anything else.
Bridcutt and ulloa are massively missed. Having said that I believe jfc and ince will keep improving after all they have only just started shaving. I agree that Stephens is missed and the sooner he gets back the better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many years ago Brian Clough said about this and said a successful team needs a good keeper centre back and striker. We have 1 of them at the moment with Walton as a potential 2nd.

D

Deleted member 2719

Many years ago Brian Clough said about this and said a successful team needs a good keeper centre back and striker. We have 1 of them at the moment with Walton as a potential 2nd.

Who are you suggesting is the chosen one?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk is the centre back of quality that we have. Walton is potentially, if we can keep him, is the keeper. We sadly lack the rest as we have bought inferior playes to replace good players like Ulloa.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
On paper, yesterdays team looked decent, with the 3 in midfield whose tactical roles should have been: Ince holding, Jake and Gardner ball winners feeding the front 3 and making late runs to the box.
The problem as I saw it was that Jake and gardner were too deep and couldn't make the runs into the box to support the attack. Need to adjust this balance and kick on accordingly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that it's in the striker department we are lacking but a spine that start Walton - Dunk - Ince looks good to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

That's exactly what prompted yesterday's discussion, the Clough Forest team.

Spine of.... Shilton, Lloyd, Gemmill/McGovern, Woodcock/Francis/Withe

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The core of the team in 1979/80 was very strong:

Defence: Suddaby + Foster

Midfield: Lawrenson + Horton

We don't have that solidity and strength nowadays.

D

Deleted member 2719

Dunk is the centre back of quality that we have. Walton is potentially, if we can keep him, is the keeper. We sadly lack the rest as we have bought inferior playes to replace good players like Ulloa.

Ah that's what I was hoping you were suggesting for the strong CB.
Just checking!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Solly March..... will he be back soon...not the total saviour...but he looked good last season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We used to have a midfielder who was astute like Brian Horton, Alan Curbishley, Danny Wilson who went on to become Managers in their own right.

I had an inkling we would miss Liam Bridcutt as despite his lack of physical attributes he had the intelligence to make up for it.

I would have thought the nearest we have got now is Gordon Greer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
March and Stephens still predictably getting better and better as long as they're not playing. Another three months on the sidelines and they should be world class.

......until they start playing in this team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here