Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please please please get a new striker

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Like CMS, Baldock tries very hard, but he is so weak and his first touch poor, we simply cannot build play with him in the side. The midfield has no chance to get forward or beyond the front man. It is the biggest problem we have as a side and one that needs fixing and quickly.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Baldock had no chance against those two big centre backs today. However with the midfield we have and the lack of proper chances we create I doubt even the best striker in the league would score too many. The stark reality of our striker issue was born out in the 90th minute subs they brought on Rhodes and we brought on O'Grady!

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Every single team who've come to the Amex have had a big man up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and bring other people into play. We don't have that option. It was depressing today watching Baldock on his own up front, with acres of space between him and the midfield. If we get a big, strong striker we will finish top half, easy.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the main weakness of the squad. I personally think Burke has failed on this one. He's been in the role for some time now, and has a small army of scouts and analysts to help him. Other strikers at other clubs are consistently scoring, and even when not scoring, are making life for opposing centrebacks very uncomfortable, opening up opportunities for others in their teams.

Burke has a full time position, with all the time in the world, 365, to assess what we have, what we need and to set about working through a list in trying to get targets (who are good enough) to sign. Not easy, and if he's outbid on wages there's not much else he can do in those cases, but I question the results of his work over his tenure.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
This is the main weakness of the squad. I personally think Burke has failed on this one. He's been in the role for some time now, and has a small army of scouts and analysts to help him. Other strikers at other clubs are consistently scoring, and even when not scoring, are making life for opposing centrebacks very uncomfortable, opening up opportunities for others in their teams.

Burke has a full time position, with all the time in the world, 365, to assess what we have, what we need and to set about working through a list in trying to get targets (who are good enough) to sign. Not easy, and if he's outbid on wages there's not much else he can do in those cases, but I question the results of his work over his tenure.
Burke hasn't delivered - end of. He needs to go along with Sammi and we need to get a manager who has the full decision in player recruitment

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Or give O'Grady more than 1 minute at the end?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Baffles me all these comments from Sami regarding player recruitment not being in his hands.

Let a manager dictate the player he buys. I see absolutely no reason why you need a middle man, especially given some of the utter tosh Burke has signed.

It seemed to me Baldock lost the ball (outmuscled in 50-50 challenges and poor passing) more than all the other 10 players put together, though maybe it just seemed like it given he was the end-disapppintment of so much of our build-up play.

I genuinely can't believe a board so obsessed with FFP paid £2m for this player

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I genuinely can't believe a board so obsessed with FFP paid £2m for this player

Add to this 500k for O Grady and the loan fees of Halford and Al Habsi taking into account Al Habsi is now away with the OMAN team so can only play against Fulham possibly. A complete waste of money, that is needed for FFP. This money could have provided a striker to replace Ulloa, which is what we are sadly missing.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Actually, thought Baldock had a reasonable game, pinging in some decent crosses from out wide (although would rather he was on the end of them, not out wide) and he made some good runs elsewhere. Is he really being blamed for not winning balls lumped forward in the air to him?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Please Please learn how to pass the ball so that the striker has a chance to strike

Burke hasn't delivered - end of. He needs to go along with Sammi and we need to get a manager who has the full decision in player recruitment

I've got nothing against SH who's only been here a short while and has been handed a squad lacking decent strikers, pace, creativity and midfield power. But I think you're correct - a return to the proper manager with more control (but monitored, unlike with GP - £3.25m for CMS and saw Murray off), with use of a scouting network etc.

The footballers production line is just completing a job for the club. A brand spanking new striker made to our exact specification including a five year warranty should arrive ( subject to any delivery delays ) in January. He is programmed to score 50 goals by the end of the season and has been named Roy.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Baldock, although with honest endeavour, simply isn't strong enough for this league. A lot of defences have 'big guys' so just saying he was always going to struggle yesterday is no excuse.
He was muscled out of just about every challenge, won (unsurprisingly) nothing in the air and his shooting weak & woeful - like watching an 8 year old shoot. He was never making goal poacher runs onto good crosses into the 6 yard box in the first half and then when he did go out wide he crossed to no one, as he was crossing towards the position just vacated by himself!

Without a big strong (talented) striker we are clueless. To succeed in this division you need a couple of 20+ goal strikers and at the moment we don't have even one 10+ striker.

I don't think we'll go down but at this rate I also think we'll have nothing to play for either at the other end come January and crowds, and subsequent income to the club will dwindle accordingly.

The board need to address this quickly and reap the rewards with a full stadium every week, or suffer the consequences.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
Why does everyone go on about a big striker ,what's the point when the service to the striker is not there, the tactics hyppia plays do not work, we have won one league game in just under a quarter of a season, change our formation and the strikers will score more goals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here