Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer / Calderon.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I don't believe I've seen this mentioned previously but is there some reason why our captain almost never chooses to pass to Inigo despite him being and making himself available. Instead it's nearly always a square ball to Dunk or a raking right/left crossfield ball aimed ( vaguely) at Joe Bennet. Is there some "beef" between 'em. if so it needs sorting out NOW IMHO.???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It has been mentioned before. It was a bug bear of mine either last season or the one before, someone else started a thread about it recently (I want to say stat brother) when his first pass occurred in the 80th minute.

I noticed early on Greer kept putting us in trouble by refusing to pass wide to Calderon, putting Walton in trouble on at least one occasion. Caldy had a discussion with him after one such occasion and then Greer start to use him a bit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because giving it to Dunk or cross field to Joe Bennett changes the direction of the attack as opposed to getting bogged down in the same area by giving it to Calderon.

But that explains why he doesn't give it Calderon every single time. It doesn't explain him not giving it to calderon until the game is almost over (like a couple of weeks ago) or giving it to Calderon once in the course of three home matches as he did in a past season, or why he chooses to put Walton under pressure when the pass to dunk or Bennett isn't on, but Calderon is in space begging for the ball.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm not sure what it is, the pair of them seem to get on. Greer not confident on passing with his left perhaps?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Noticed they had a few crossed words on one occasion first half (and then some gesturing from Greer). He reminds of Danny Cullip - blames others for his mistakes and a bully (2nd characteristic is essential for a championship centreback imo)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because giving it to Dunk or cross field to Joe Bennett changes the direction of the attack as opposed to getting bogged down in the same area by giving it to Calderon.

Greer almost never passes direct to Bennett. So Dunk passing to Bennett, which he does, is not different to Greer passing to Calderon, which, invariably he doesn't.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Greer only passes to the opposition so naturally Calde gets left out.
That, and I think as mentioned earlier he has little confidence in his right foot and even less in his left.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
To make the mystery deeper - when the players came out for the warm up yesterday, Greer and Calde paired up and passed the ball to one another - looked as if they chose to do this. then Greer pretty much ignored Calde all match - again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here