Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - CDs to FLAC

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hi all, I'm thinking of putting my music collection into music files and a mate has suggested that I choose FLAC as a format and get a player that can play this format. I'm quite the numpty about this sort of thing, and have a few questions:

- Can I convert my CD collection into FLAC format? If so, what's the best way of doing it? Should I even bother - should I just keep my CDs and just get new albums in FLAC?
- Will I need an external hard drive to hold the music, or will the new player have one? If so, how big a drive will I need? I have c1000 CDs, all albums.
- Any suggestions concerning the best player/amp system? I like an open, flat, neutral sound stage. Are Cyrus any good?
- Anything else I should know/consider?

Any advice gratefully received...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I converted all my CDs to FLAC, and then later converted them to MP3s too (for iPod). I keep them in FLAC on 3 drives.
CD to FLAC use EAC - exact audio copy.
1000 CD albums would be about 450 gig.
Get external drives for backup, it takes a long time and you wouldn't want to lose it all.

What sort of player are you after? I have Squeezeboxes (like Roku) around the house to play the music (which is all stored on my central PC), and they all connect to their own amp and speakers. Had my setup for 10 years, it's great. There are alternative options, like a subscription service so you don't need to own the music, you just stream from the net - or you could just plug iPods into local stereos etc.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can't remember the brand but there is a specific piece of kit designed for exactly what you are referring to, I'll look it up

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Another vote for exact audio copy EAC if you want to preserve all the music data without compression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here