Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer only has eyes for Albion as they face key clash [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gordon Greer will have only Albion, not Scotland, on his mind at the Amex today.
Greer could be forgiven for being a touch distracted by the prospect of being involved for his country in two “massive” fxtures.
But the skipper’s only thought is leading the Seagulls to victory over Blackburn Rovers, his first English club, to build on Tuesday’s first win in 12 Championship games at home to Wigan.
Scotland’s Euro qualifier against the Republic of Ireland next Friday and England’s visit for a friendly four days later, both at Celtic Park, will not, Greer insists, be part of his agenda.
He told The Argus: “I have always said it is all about how you are doing for your club. If you are not doing well for your club or not playing you are not going to get into the international set-up.
“For me it’s all about the club. Brighton doing so well over the last few years is probably the main reason I’ve been able to play for my country.
“I’m really fortunate and thankful for that. I just go out for Brighton and try and play as well as I can every week and hopefully get picked for Scotland. It’s your club form that really matters I think.”
The clash against Blackburn has a distinct international flavour to it. Greer will be marking the prolific Jordan Rhodes, who in spite of his record has gone more than a year without a Scotland cap.
The Rovers defence will be marshalled by centre-half rival Grant Hanley, whose absence through injury enabled Greer to star in Scotland’s 2-2 draw in Poland last month.
Greer said: “Jordan is a fantastic finisher and that’s what he brings to Blackburn, 20-plus goals every season, but it’s about us.
“We’re a good side and I think people are looking at the league table and Brighton aren’t doing so well but we are better than we’ve shown so we need to kick on now.
“Grant is a great guy. We get on really well and he’s a good defender. I think against Georgia (the game before Poland) he was our best player and he’s a great guy to have around the squad.
“It will be good to see him but all I am bothered about is the three points for Brighton. I won’t speak to them before the game, it will just be after the game, and I’ll do everything I can to win.”
Greer, 34 next month, has learnt to cope with the ups and downs which come with the territory, whether for club or country.
Like the own goal he scored at Bournemouth last Saturday before helping Albion to a clean sheet and three precious points against Wigan.
“When I was younger somebody said to me once it’s not how you deal with the highs in your career that you will be judged on, it’s how you deal with the lows,” Greer reflected. “I think that has been a good bit of advice for me because everybody can be happy when you are winning. Everybody is on top of the world. It’s how you pick yourself up if things aren’t going so well.
“I have always tried not to get too happy if we win and not too low if we lose.
“It was a mistake (at Bournemouth) and that was a big mistake to make but we still had loads of time left to try to win the game.
“I think experience definitely does help you deal with situations better.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here