Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

International duty in doubt for Hughes [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion defender Aaron Hughes may not be allowed to link up with Northern Ireland next week.
The ankle injury sustained by Hughes in the early stages of last Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Bournemouth has turned out to be much less serious than feared.
He is back running and, although sidelined for today's visit of Blackburn Rovers, is likely to return to contention for the Seagulls' first game back after the international break at Norwich on November 22.
Hughes, 35 today, is scheduled to link up with the Northern Ireland squad for their important Euro 2016 qualifier in Romania next Friday, together with Albion colleague Paddy McCourt.
The veteran defender, capped 93 times by his country, was named in the squad by Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill earlier this week when the full extent of his injury was unclear, with Manchester United prospect Paddy McNair promoted to the senior ranks as a potential replacement.
Albion boss and former Finland stalwart Sami Hyypia said of the Hughes' situation: "I need to think about it because they (Northern Ireland) are in the same group as Finland and they are leading the group!
"My principles with these kind of things normally are when the player is not fit to train with his team or fit to play our game before the international break then it would be very hard for me to let him go with the risk of him doing it again and then missing one month.
"So we need to assess the situation. I need to talk to our doctor and Aaron, of course, himself then make a decision. I think the Northern Ireland coach would very much like him to be there but we need to speak."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here