Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't the Albion's history make us better supporters today?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying to not make this one of those 'we should be grateful because ...' threads, that always pop up after some chin music has got out of control, although that is difficult.

We are feed a diet of football, and it's usually moaning.
It feels like Arsenal fans have been moaning for 11 years.
Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Citeh fans are moaning about one thing or another.
These fans have no idea about suffering for and with the team.

The chuntering is audible from our division.
Sadly the voices below us are rarely heard, but I'm sure they are still voiced.

Not one club, of the 92, has had a recent history like ours.

Any other club feeling the pinch, goes bankrupt, wipes it face, and starts again.

Yet many many Albion fans still feel entitled to win every game, at a minimal cost.
We are watching our team play at a consistently level higher than ever before.
Sit in a luxury they have never experienced before.
Carry an insane, but normal!!, debt to one man (family).

I'd have thought one comparison between us now and Hereford now, would be enough to make even the most negative Nerys question their commitment to doom and gloom.

Sadly not.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sadly, I think that too many hanker for the excitement of the bad old days, a "'will we exist next week? let's fight 'em' mentality" that seems to have morphed into let's find something, anything to get agitated about.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I agree and often say the same. I don't particularly think the current manager is the right man for the job but in the general scheme, things are great at the moment!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The club ran a marathon. Fought, kicking and screaming to be allowed to stay in the race and then finally, after exhausting every fibre of every muscle supporting every bone, reached the finish line of security and a stadium.

It's understandable that after that hard a fight, some need a chance to get their breath back.

Patience.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well I'm still f***ing excited about going to the Amex this afternoon to watch us in the Championship :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well I'm still f***ing excited about going to the Amex this afternoon to watch us in the Championship :thumbsup:

Same here, must have my match day experience

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Sadly, I think that too many hanker for the excitement of the bad old days, a "'will we exist next week? let's fight 'em' mentality" that seems to have morphed into let's find something, anything to get agitated about.

This.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I would suggest that a large proportion of the current moaners didn't experience our recent history! I'm not having a go at the JCLs, just stating fact. They only know good times!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps it's just that the numbers involved in that fight were relatively small and those who weren't were still moaning then. We just didn't hear them over the stadium fight.
That and, no matter what we think, there are a large number of our supporters who didn't experience or don't understand what we went through.
We criticise other clubs supporters for not knowing what we went through, but I hear examples every game amongst our own support who are similarly uninformed and unaware.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm convinced that some people get an endorphin rush when they are moaning. It needs a study.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's a healthy(ish) sign that we've finally got the level playing field we were denied for all those long post-Goldstone years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The transition from Withdean to the Amex was always going to be difficult for a lot of fans as that community spirit has just disappeared.

Firstly there are a lot of fans I rarely ever see nowadays as at Withdean there were basically two stands whereas now we are all scattered around a far larger ground. The second issue is a lot fans never saw the transition from community to brand football and how a club with ambition changes completely.

I suppose the irony is we moved to a Community Stadium which clearly it was never going to be.

But if this is the price to pay to have a proper stadium and club I'm in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The transition from Withdean to the Amex was always going to be difficult for a lot of fans as that community spirit has just disappeared.

Firstly there are a lot of fans I rarely ever see nowadays as at Withdean there were basically two stands whereas now we are all scattered around a far larger ground. The second issue is a lot fans never saw the transition from community to brand football and how a club with ambition changes completely.

I suppose the irony is we moved to a Community Stadium which clearly it was never going to be.

But if this is the price to pay to have a proper stadium and club I'm in.

But it the club had taken the ultimate altruistic decision of community over corporation, it would be scraping by at a run down athletics ground, in the 4th division, and NOBODY would be happy.

I'm don't really buy the argument anyway.
On the back of AITC I'm still very proud of the work that gets done in the name of the club.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Because out of the 25000 who turn up to The Amex, only 3000 at most actually experienced those dark days of Gillingham and a handful more of battling to save the Goldstone

The majority of the current support have known nothing but success since becoming Brighton fans and are used to success after success from their days of supporting Premier League sides. This season has come as a massive shock to those sorts and they don't know how to deal with it - hence constant moaning and, if Tuesday was anything to go by, not even bothering to turn up.

One of the unfortunate side effects of your core home support suddenly quadrupling overnight

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Because out of the 25000 who turn up to The Amex, only 3000 at most actually experienced those dark days of Gillingham and a handful more of battling to save the Goldstone

The majority of the current support have known nothing but success since becoming Brighton fans and are used to success after success from their days of supporting Premier League sides. This season has come as a massive shock to those sorts and they don't know how to deal with it - hence constant moaning and, if Tuesday was anything to go by, not even bothering to turn up.

One of the unfortunate side effects of your core home support suddenly quadrupling overnight
3000 lol
Do you honestly believe that?...I would say at least 10k experienced it😀

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
3000 lol
Do you honestly believe that?...I would say at least 10k experienced it😀

What was our average attendance over the two years at Gillingham? Genuine question but I can tell you for a fact that 10,000 didn't undertake that ******* of a journey week in week out to fully appreciate what we have now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here