Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jam - Setting Sons - Brighton Centre 79

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really loved the Jam in 79, a fantastic album, and the singles of that year were their best imo, When you're young, Butterfly collector, Strange Town, all absolutely brilliant

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just seen the price of the box set, blimey, I'll have to do with the memory of that gig, ninety quid for three c.d.s and a dvd,a tad steep for me

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Give it a few years it'll halve in price

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just look at the quality of the B-Sides! Weller was at his angry, passionate, imaginative best in those days. I was at that gig too, an amazing performance from an amazing group.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Saw them several times. Was this the one when they were supported by The Vapors? I loved The Jam, never really quite liked anything Weller's done since.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Saw them several times. Was this the one when they were supported by The Vapors? I loved The Jam, never really quite liked anything Weller's done since.

I think so (The Vapors). For me The Style Council were an abomination, his solo stuff is a bit like that of Morrissey, some high points but an overall feeling of Second best to a very high watermark.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think so (The Vapors). For me The Style Council were an abomination, his solo stuff is a bit like that of Morrissey, some high points but an overall feeling of Second best to a very high watermark.

Didn't mind some of the Style Council, but the solo stuff since has always left me cold

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
This will be the 1st Weller related release that I will not be purchasing. These re-issues are taking the piss now. Ho him, at least their should be a new solo lp early 2015

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This will be the 1st Weller related release that I will not be purchasing. These re-issues are taking the piss now. Ho him, at least their should be a new solo lp early 2015

I guess the capitalist may lurk in all of us.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I loved The Style Council. The first three years of TSC material was as good as any three-year period Paul Weller has had before or since, I think.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Autumn 79 - some great gigs in Brighton. Was at this one, plus the Who, the Stranglers at the Centre and Specials/Madness/Selecter at the Top Rank. All topped off by the Seagulls being in the top flight for the first time.....Great days.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Setting Sons was the real catalyst for the Jam, i'm not denying that All Mod Cons, wasn't a brilliants album. Originally Setting Sons had been planned as a concept album about three brothers going to war, but was changed during its writing. Album songs on here that could all be singles, Thick as Thieves my favourite, but equally Private Hell, Wasteland and Little Boy Soldiers. From The Jam are an excellent replacement for the real thing and play the Concorde 2 in December.

As for Weller, there is a time in all our lives when you really swim with the current and those purple years for him were phenominal, trouble is he is now saddled with the success that he can never replicate. Songs with feeling. passion and energy about what he saw in the world around him. For me, I can never see the Jam surpassed.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Autumn 79 - some great gigs in Brighton. Was at this one, plus the Who, the Stranglers at the Centre and Specials/Madness/Selecter at the Top Rank. All topped off by the Seagulls being in the top flight for the first time.....Great days.

Specials/Madness/Selecter at the Suite, what a gig, some London skinheads gave Terry Hall a hard time to start with but they were won round. Such years were great, we had little money, compared to today, but made it go a long way. Chuck in Secret Affair, The Purple Hearts, The Chords, the Lambrettas and Merton Parkhas, happy, happy days. BTW going to see Secret Affair and the Lambrettas at Stamford Bridge on the 29th!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here