Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 years ago - Déjà vu?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Andy Naylor has been stating Hyypia's job is secure tonight, citing a very sound source. It all sounded somewhat familiar. Roll back the clock five years and what do we find written in the Argus on 29th October 2009...

Comment: Bloom has passed first test
First published Thursday 29 October 2009 in Albion by Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

Tony Bloom has passed his first examination as Albion chairman.

The latest home defeat by Oldham last Saturday aroused speculation over the future of manager Russell Slade.

It would have been easy to bow to the vocal minority of supporters, suffering from premature dissatisfaction over Slade’s tenure. Instead, Bloom has used his rational, poker-playing head.

You can bet your last chip that Albion’s poor start to the season, and the reasons for it, were discussed in some depth by the manager and chairman at a routine meeting on Monday, arranged prior to the Oldham setback.

Neither of them can be happy with the current state of affairs and it is not just in politics that a week is a long time.

A second successive home defeat and bleak performance will not help Slade’s cause but the indications are he will at least be allowed the rest of the year to turn things around, which is only right and proper.

His detractors have short memories. Thanks to him Albion are hosting Hartlepool on Saturday, not Accrington Stanley.

The pace of change at the club has been frantic, not just in terms of turnover of players but the entire footballing structure of the club.

That process is ongoing. Strengthening the coaching resources remains a priority for Slade after he lost out in this respect to a League One rival in the summer.

Had he lost his job now, Albion would be looking for their fifth manager in just over three years, which is ridiculous.

The only sound reason for Slade’s post being in jeopardy would be an inescapable conclusion that Albion are destined for another relegation fight during the second half of the season.

It is still far too early to believe that.

-------------------------------------------------------

History shows that a mere 3 (three) days later, on 1 November 2009, Tony Bloom sacked Russell Slade after another poor home performance.

(Before anyone says anything, I'm not writing this to criticise Andy Naylor, more to highlight how quickly sentiment can turn and has done so at our football club with the same chairman)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
'The pace of change at the club has been frantic, not just in terms of turnover of players but the entire footballing structure of the club.'

Spot on, but just be glad that we are not in the same position of Watford or Leeds, where their managers have been replaced as if were a lucky dip.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
His detractors have short memories. Thanks to him Albion are hosting Hartlepool on Saturday, not Accrington Stanley.

Fantastic ! !

Blackburn rovers tomorrow in the championship . No ones died

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
If the game tomorrow is as bad as that Oldham debacle under Slade then surely Hyypia would have to go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an addendum, when Slade was sacked:

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 20.18.23.png

This season after 15 games...

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 20.15.44.png

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This difference with Slade was that he wasn't really Bloom's man, but he couldn't really not offer him a new deal after he kept us up.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This difference with Slade was that he wasn't really Bloom's man, but he couldn't really not offer him a new deal after he kept us up.

Russell also has a chapter in "The game of my life". Can't imagine the Leeds or Wigan matches will feature in a future reissue with Sami reminiscing. Still, he's still got time to write a new chapter - at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
(Before anyone says anything, I'm not writing this to criticise Andy Naylor, more to highlight how quickly sentiment can turn and has done so at our football club with the same chairman)

I'm less concerned with all that nonsense, and more concerned with what you know Bloom is going to do in three days.

Quite - Bloom sacking Slade was saying Knight made a mistake
Bloom sacking Hyppia is saying Bloom made a mistake

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I have no problem with Naylor as a writer other than his insistence on finding ways to have a dig at fans who have a differing opinion to his or a negative view on anything at the club either on here or in the ground.

For what it's worth, I have doubts about Sami but think he should be given more time but I wouldn't criticise fans who say they want him out now as it's their opinion. And as the local journo whose salary is probably reliant on Brighton fans, I don't think he should either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here