Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Turner

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Very disappointing. Too long, Spall's performance cliched and affected, very little plot. On the plus side, wonderful costumes, settings and cinematography but I'm afraid the cons outweighed the pros.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks, been receiving some pressure from Mrs V to see this. It was either this or Interstellar.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
All the broadsheets gave it 5 stars, but from friends who've seen it I've heard that it might very possibly be gash. I'm gonna wait for Mike Leigh's next project 'Mr Harris' to be released. Jarvis Cocker is apparently doing the entire soundtrack on a stylophone - should be a cracker.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have seen it and would say Spall is very good in it, it is however very long and quite dull with very little happening, one for lovies and art students, Fury is a vastly superior film in almost every aspect and Shia Labeouff's performance matches and possible beats Spalls as does Pitt and Lerman. Seeing Interstellar tonight

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very disappointing. Too long, Spall's performance cliched and affected, very little plot. On the plus side, wonderful costumes, settings and cinematography but I'm afraid the cons outweighed the pros.

I was going to (partly) say the opposite.

Spall was very good - he has a range of talents which he can call on at any moment. He set the character early on, and stuck with it - and it worked. I am biased, though, as I am a big fan of Timothy Spall.

That said, it was too long and a bit laboured. You also need to know about Turner in order to get the references. It was very much a Mike Leigh film, and while I am a fan of much of his work - including this instance the costumes, settings and cinematography - he really ought to leave biopics alone.

I'm more looking forward to The Imitation Game, out next Friday.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Such a shame if true. Normally l'm a big Timothy Spall fan, love all that he does. I'll give it a go though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Harumph. Hmmmmm.Agree with you there. Hmmmmm. Watchable but nothing special. Hmmmm. Noticed an IKEA rug that I used to have. He slips on it or on the floor next to it when putting a painting on an easel.

Also only shows the latter part of his life so learn very little about his life as an artist. God knows which locations they used for Margit, somewhere in Devon or Cornwall I would guess. No idea why the Seven Sisters randomly appeared either.

So OK but I expected better from Mike Leigh and old Timothy. Harumph.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was going to (partly) say the opposite.

Spall was very good - he has a range of talents which he can call on at any moment. He set the character early on, and stuck with it - and it worked. I am biased, though, as I am a big fan of Timothy Spall.

That said, it was too long and a bit laboured. You also need to know about Turner in order to get the references. It was very much a Mike Leigh film, and while I am a fan of much of his work - including this instance the costumes, settings and cinematography - he really ought to leave biopics alone.

I'm more looking forward to The Imitation Game, out next Friday.

The Imitation Game was painful to watch, I thought, for spells. A horribly mainstream biopic barely tickling the elements of his life that would've given it any depth.

Mr Turner, though, I liked. More comedic than I thought it would have been and unusually beautiful to look at.

Am also going to Interstellar tonight, which I am telling myself to try not to hate in advance. Am sure it will be a visual spectacle, which I shouldn't sneer at with memories of the endlessly depressing Batman trilogy still bringing me down.

Yes was very wary of the 5 stars Mr Turner seems to keep getting, it's kind of putting me off seeing it - film critics have had a bad year, telling me the likes of Under the Skin and Gone Girl were really good films.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw it last night and thought it was very good. Timothy Spalls performance was, for me, excellent. Apparently a lot of research went into getting Turners personality, character and mannerisms right and although not easy watching at times Spall delivered. The dialogue was good, the cinematography was excellent, with many Turneresque landscapes and seascapes (though the sudden appearance of the seven sisters was a complete cock up). Probably about 15 minutes too long - some of the Royal Academy stuff could've been cut.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
9 and1/2 hours of watching Timothy Spall gurning through a load of middle class guff. You have been warned .

*This review appeared several days ago on my FB page and yet more fools appear to have wasted their money on it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Gone for Interstellar rather than Mr Turner this evening. I think I would just rather spend my money on the exhibition at the Tate. I do like Spall and Leigh but sometimes they can just get a little self indulgent, will wait until I can watch it on demand I think.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's a matter of how you feel about the subject...at Art college we had to do a painting in the style of our favourite artist,I chose Turner because of the way he got the luminosity to shine through from under the surface colours. I have not yet seen 'Mr Turner' but sure I'll enjoy it. Been advised that 'Fury' is a bit like 'Saving Private Ryan in the firefights,which was good but in typical hero stuff the fact that the crew survived after two hand grenades were dropped down the turret is a bit far fetched. But each to their own.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
photo-9.jpg

???

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
not everyone's cup of tea
but the plot was the last part of the life of a rare great of English art
and Spalls performance was good enough to win
best actor at Cannes