Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yet another seamer

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
For a moment then I thought the away dressing room had been infiltrated again.

Too early in the morning...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sussex full of seamers right now

http://www.sussexcricket.co.uk/news-1/shahzad-ajmal-signs-three-year-deal-at-hove

So, that's Goff, CJ, Mills, Shahzad, Anyon, Hatchett, Hobden, Piolet and Liddle (and not counting the kid, Hudson-Prentice, who's just signed). Throw Wright into the mix too and we could have a team of them.

Where's our spinner? That's what we really need

Do we really need a spinner? I don't think so. It's all about pace in the championship these days and we now have a potentially title-winning attack. That's two exciting signings in a fortnight - fantastic. The only thing that baffles me is why they keep so much dead wood at the club. A new deal for Piolet and others? Why?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do we really need a spinner? I don't think so. It's all about pace in the championship these days and we now have a potentially title-winning attack. That's two exciting signings in a fortnight - fantastic. The only thing that baffles me is why they keep so much dead wood at the club. A new deal for Piolet and others? Why?

Piolet is a useful option in one-day cricket but, like Liddle, he should get nowhere near a championship team.

But we're not going to play four seamers - although Magoffin, Jordan, Shahzad and AN Other would be a formidable attack. Hope Hobden gets a chance to play though, he looks a very decent prospect

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Ajmal is another quality signing who also has great potential with the bat

We need depth and Luke Wright hardly bowls due to his knee condition

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Jordan won't play much county cricket next year. He's done too well for England.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jordan won't play much county cricket next year. He's done too well for England.

He's done OK but I wouldn't have said that he was a nailed-down selection just yet.There are, at the most, two seam bowling slots spare and he'll be competing with Stokes, Woakes, Finn, Plunkett and possibly Brooks and Gurney for them. I'm amazed that Onions seems to be unwanted, he may come back and England have not released Rankin to Ireland, so he must still be in their thoughts.

Jordan's done well but I reckon he'll have to do a bit in county cricket too

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Agree. As we play most of the CC stuff before the pitches take any turn there's no point worrying too much about a spinner. We need at least four front-line seamers with injury and call-ups and we have that now with Magoffin, Mills, Jordan and Shahzad.

Wright won't bowl anymore as well

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Agree totally with this but really looking forward to seeing our seam attack in action, hope the ground staff get the right pitches ready!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree. As we play most of the CC stuff before the pitches take any turn there's no point worrying too much about a spinner.

We will sign an overseas spinner for the second half of the season, once Maggofin has become 'English'.

Hopefully Ajmal's action will have been cleared by then....

Yes, a good point about not needing a spinner until the second half of the season. The other Ajmal would be a tremendous signing. I'd prefer Ashwin though, that would strengthen our batting too

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seamers get injured so you need a big crew of them to win the championship nowadays.

Our seamers were ok last year- only Anyon was out. But, at various stages, we were without Nash, Yardy, RHB, Prior and Wright (and lost Joyce and Machan to international calls) - we need more batsmen rather than seamers

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Our seamers were ok last year- only Anyon was out. But, at various stages, we were without Nash, Yardy, RHB, Prior and Wright (and lost Joyce and Machan to international calls) - we need more batsmen rather than seamers

But we have Cachopa for the whole season hopefully and you'd assume Prior won't be playing any cricket for England next year

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But we have Cachopa for the whole season hopefully and you'd assume Prior won't be playing any cricket for England next year

Yes, Cachopa is a find but the point I was making is that, last season, we lost two seamers to international call-ups and injury but lost seven batsmen so the idea that we needed additional seamers doesn't seem to be backed up by the facts.

It's possible that Prior could play for England next year but he certainly won't from the start

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here