Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are the Ref - Test your bizarre football knowledge here!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
So I've posted some referee scenarios on here before. Some more bizarre than others - but this is one thrown at me yesterday by a fellow referee.

Dunk takes a throw in back to Stockdale, who tries to control the ball, but it goes under his feet - and without touching the ball injures himself in the process.
Lewis, realising the ball is rolling agonisingly towards the net, sprints towards the ball and before any opposition players can react dives and tips the ball round the post with his hand.

As the referee - what decision do you give? How do you restart the game? What punishment (if any) does Dunk receive?

Let's see if anyone can get it. - Reasons behind your answers appreciated too!

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I
So I've posted some referee scenarios on here before. Some more bizarre than others - but this is one thrown at me yesterday by a fellow referee.

Dunk takes a throw in back to Stockdale, who tries to control the ball, but it goes under his feet - and without touching the ball injures himself in the process.
Lewis, realising the ball is rolling agonisingly towards the net, sprints towards the ball and before any opposition players can react dives and tips the ball round the post with his hand.

As the referee - what decision do you give? How do you restart the game? What punishment (if any) does Dunk receive?

Let's see if anyone can get it. - Reasons behind your answers appreciated too!

Is it a gold medal for his running speed?

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
It's a great question. Is it an indirect free kick from where the handball happens, along with a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour? It's a guess mind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting one but is it an indirect free kick from where he touched the ball plus booking of ungentlemanly conduct? Also, had he let the ball go over the line, would it just have been a corner?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Would it count as a foul throw, as no-one else has touched the ball?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think but not sure a penalty and red card for deliberate handball but the question is whether the ball is deemed to be jn play as nobody else has touched it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If that's whet your appetite:

youaretheref3.jpg

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
A goal can not be score direct from a throw. If Dunk had allowed the ball to go into the goal a corner would have been awarded. As Dunk took the throw and no other player had touched the ball before he did then a corner can not be awarded. My guess is an indirect free kick is awarded on the edge of the six yard line parallel to where the hand ball was as a free kick can not be taken within the 6 yard box

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
As the ball was in play, it is a penalty. As you can't score directly from a throw-in don't have to send Dunk off (as it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity) but if he knew the Laws he could have just let it roll in and the throw-in would probably just have to be re-taken.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A goal can not be score direct from a throw. If Dunk had allowed the ball to go into the goal a corner would have been awarded. As Dunk took the throw and no other player had touched the ball before he did then a corner can not be awarded. My guess is an indirect free kick is awarded on the edge of the six yard line parallel to where the hand ball was as a free kick can not be taken within the 6 yard box

I thought there was a goal in the Midlands derby a few years back (Birmingham - Villa) where Enkelman failed to control a throw in and it went in, and counted?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As the ball was in play, it is a penalty. As you can't score directly from a throw-in don't have to send Dunk off (as it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity) but if he knew the Laws he could have just let it roll in and the throw-in would probably just have to be re-taken.

At first I thought that was the answer, but thinking about it again, you can't throw the ball to yourself, so as he touched it twice, the throw should be retaken.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought there was a goal in the Midlands derby a few years back (Birmingham - Villa) where Enkelman failed to control a throw in and it went in, and counted?

The officials thought the keeper had got a touch so awarded the goal.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The referee gave the goal because he thought Enkelman had made contact as it rolled under his foot.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The officials thought the keeper had got a touch so awarded the goal.

Did they? Fair enough. Only going on memory so wasn't 100% certain.

I'll stick with my original 'foul throw' theory.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here