Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T for old farts - hearing problems

My partner and my kids have been banging on about my hearing going. This can't possibly be true, I'm only 68, fit as a butcher's dog, in the prime of my life and I can hear a pin drop at 50 yards.

But just in case it is true, some people on here must have had the same problem?

As far as I can see, after getting a free test, I can either buy a hearing aid from someone like Specsavers for between 500 and 3,000 quid or get an NHS one.

Does anyone have experience of NHS hearing aids? I don't really want to have to shell out a big chunk of money but I do need to get something that works.

I'm assuming an NHS one would be fairly basic, but what extra benefits would I get from paying for something more expensive?

Any experiences or suggestions much appreciated - please speak loudly!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
EarTrumpet-263x300.png

Specsavers Ad.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My other half wears two hearing aids, both NHS. They are excellent as they're digital nowadays.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I tried the NHS digital ones but found them useless as they just amplified all the sounds including background noise and often got whistling and feedback. Have given them up and not tried anything else, much to the annoyance of Mrs Oldman and my sons.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sorry, could you say that again?

I'll ask my dad, and get back to you...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I put some Otex eardrops in once, then syringed them with warm water to give them a good cleanout. I couldn't BELIEVE how much my hearing instantly improved.

I felt like Spiderman.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I put some Otex eardrops in once, then syringed them with warm water to give them a good cleanout. I couldn't BELIEVE how much my hearing instantly improved.

I felt like Spiderman.

mmm might get some...

ever since a particularly bad case of air pressure on a flight this year my ears kinda hurt like a dull pain then sharp pains also feels like water is running out of them or wet when there not.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
NHS ones for me. Free, and they work. They do scream a bit, but not as bad as the constancy of tinnitus, plus I can hear all those interesting football pundits much more clearly...............

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It is not my hearing that is going......but these actors on the telly don't speak as clearly as they used to..they mumble, and shop assistant's don't speak up either......
I swear they are printing the newspaper with smaller type, as well. Saving money, I guess .........???

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I tried the NHS digital ones but found them useless as they just amplified all the sounds including background noise and often got whistling and feedback.

Whilst whistling can be unwelcome, it's always useful to receive feedback.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I went to the doctors with hearing problems the other week, he asked me to name the symptoms. I said there is Bart Simpson , Homer Simpson , Lisa Simpson ...

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
mmm might get some...

ever since a particularly bad case of air pressure on a flight this year my ears kinda hurt like a dull pain then sharp pains also feels like water is running out of them or wet when there not.

The nurse at the GPs where I get my ears syringed recommends one the olive oil drops, as Otex can be a bit brutal for your ears.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Got NHS digital all they seem to do is amplify not make sounds clearer. I bough t some TV Ears which work cordless from the tv. Have to say they are great like being at the cinema everything crystal clear.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Brutal !!! what do you mean ? sounds like pouring acid down your lug hole

Well, yes she did say it was similar to squitting bleach into your ear.

To be honest, no of the drops seem to work with me to actually unblock my ear. It just softens the wax up enough for them to be syringed.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I felt like Spiderman.

Ear drops are such a scam.

The best way to clean them is either get a nurse to wash them out or warm some olive oil and drop that in overnight (with cotton wool). The chemist drops are poor - they should be investigated by OfWhat?

I'm due to sort out an appointment with the NHS. They're selection of hearing aids have vastly improved.

I'd be inclined to check them out before going privately as hearing aids, as you have discovered are costly.

What you really want is a cochlear implant. The process is long an tedious, but it is an enitrely new ear.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had my hearing tested at Crawley hospital and was then sent by my doctor to Action for the Deaf in Haywards Heath who provided me with 2 hearing aids which have been fine. I did however lose one and it cost £100 to have it replaced due to my carelessness.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ear drops are such a scam.

The best way to clean them is either get a nurse to wash them out or warm some olive oil and drop that in overnight (with cotton wool). The chemist drops are poor - they should be investigated by OfWhat?

:shrug: worked ok for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here