Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Give this head Teacher a 'medal'.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Its?

I wouldn't imagine that your Head teacher would've got a similar posting. :lolol:

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I understand the reasoning & importance of the School uniform policy , to a certain extent at least.
What I fail to understand is the impact the colour or style of your hair or how many piercings you have has on your ability to learn?

The principal said rules were an important part of growing up to get students ready for "adult life".

Pretty sure that in "adult life" you are free to express yourself with your personal appearance however you see fit. You can have brightly, unnatural coloured hair & as many piercings as you please. Most workplaces do not discriminate against multicoloured, pierced people & they certainly don't send you home to make yourself ready to work.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
School uniforms - a tool of crap teachers to try gain control rather than respect. Hideous invention. I'd be for all state-funded schools banning the damn things as there's so many rackets going on with supply of branded items etc.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
How many teachers wear a school uniform to show that they are part of and proud of the school?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Irresponsible to send the kids home again at the school gate, I would be f@cking livid if my daughter had been made to walk home again by herself when I was at work and knew nothing of the situation, stupid stupid woman full of her own importance should be sacked and reported for child negligence. If one of those kids had been run over or worse after being sent home would wearing the wrong shoes really of mattered to the devastated parents? A letter home at the end of the day would of sufficed. And the OP wants to give her a medal :facepalm:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I understand the reasoning & importance of the School uniform policy , to a certain extent at least.
What I fail to understand is the impact the colour or style of your hair or how many piercings you have has on your ability to learn?

The principal said rules were an important part of growing up to get students ready for "adult life".

Pretty sure that in "adult life" you are free to express yourself with your personal appearance however you see fit. You can have brightly, unnatural coloured hair & as many piercings as you please. Most workplaces do not discriminate against multicoloured, pierced people & they certainly don't send you home to make yourself ready to work.

That depends on what sort of job you have I guess. I would be slightly taken aback if my doctor had multiple facial peircings and a swastika tattooed on his neck. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was a bin man or a stockbroker though.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Irresponsible to send the kids home again at the school gate, I would be f@cking livid if my daughter had been made to walk home again by herself when I was at work and knew nothing of the situation, stupid stupid woman full of her own importance should be sacked and reported for child negligence. If one of those kids had been run over or worse after being sent home would wearing the wrong shoes really of mattered to the devastated parents? A letter home at the end of the day would of sufficed. And the OP wants to give her a medal :facepalm:

The school had apparently already told the parents, in writing, that this would be the consequence of failure to adhere to their uniform policy. On that basis, you wouldn't be able to claim that you were at work and "knew nothing of the situation" as you had been given prior warning of the consequences. If you really believe something as petty as this amounts to "child abuse" then it is the parents who should be reported for failing to ensure that their children complied with the schools regulations.

There are some stupid, stupid parents full of their own importance out there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good on her, there is absolutely no way you can learn or show respect to others unless you are strictly dressed the same as everybody else.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand

People from my workplace have been sent home for inappropriate work attire. We will also cancel temp's contracts if they can't turn up with a decent level of dress and hygiene (office setting).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Talk about missing the bigger picture.

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
People from my workplace have been sent home for inappropriate work attire. We will also cancel temp's contracts if they can't turn up with a decent level of dress and hygiene (office setting).

I wasn't questioning their clothing or cleanliness. Personal hygiene is obviously important & I already stated to a certain extent I understand the reasoning behind the uniform. My point was I fail to see how the style or colour of your hair or any piercings affects a child's ability to learn? I too work within an office building & the are plenty of pierced & colourful people who don't get sent home & do their job well

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Apart from the obvious feeling of 'thank **** this is nearly over', how is production effected by the 'dress down fridays' policy in many offices. Never having worked in an office I can never understand it. It's either suits and jackets or not surely.

There is a connection with the opening question here. 6th formers who stay on at schools with the further education facilities are still mainly funded by parents so the 'who has more money to spend on clothes' argument goes out of the window here as well concerning uniform.

A college where I do a lot of maintenance do adhere to a pretty strict uniform policy (jacket and ties) but you should see what some of the teachers wear. They like their individuality.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Its called Standards. Make no mistake she will get a post in 'private education' and can you blame her ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-29911712

Firstly, there are plenty of places where this sort of thing would happen, and secondly....

why assume she would want to go in to private education.

There are loads of teachers in state education who are excellent teachers, relish dealing with more difficult kids and social issues and would be bored to tears in the world of private education.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I think this is all well and good ,but the teachers hardly set a good example with their dress code ... do as I say not do as I do, seems to be their moto ,if you want respect you have to give it.My wife is a teacher at a secondary school and does dress smartly and this subject has been a topic of conversation at the school with her and like minded teachers for a while now.If I have to pick her up sometimes I have a job deciding which are the teachers and which are the pupils in the way they dress .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here