Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qualified electricians - a query & possible electrical job for a kitchen

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi.

3 years ago we had a new Induction Hob fitted, by a large firm of local electricians who we have confidence in, who also do work for large construction companies, local schools, etc. The hob has been great to use.

Yesterday evening a horrid burning plastic smell arose for the first time in our kitchen. We couldn't trace its source, until today we found that part of the plastic tray in the cutlery drawer (directly under the induction hob) has melted!

Using the hob again tonight, with caution, the horrid smell returned, despite the drawer/tray being no where near this time.

Obviously we need to urgently address this, with the services of a qualified electrician.

But I cannot find anything about this type of incident on the internet, which is surprising.

For those with electrical knowledge, what's probably causing this, unexpectedly now?

Thanks.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Possible loose connection perhaps? Would be a good idea to speak to the manufacturer. I wouldn't use it again if I were you. My advice is to isolate it from the supply and get it taken out and return it to the manufacturer/wholesaler that it was bought from.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for that. Good advice.

As a non-electrican, looking at fitting arrangements for electric hobs in general on the internet, there should be an easily-removable isolating shelf/partition between the base of the appliance and the nearest used drawer/cupboard underneath.

I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
The induction hob itself shouldn't be generating any heat, at least not while it cooks
The way they work, is a coil acts as a big electro magnet and heats the cooking vessel rather than the surface of the hob.
There are cooling fans blowing across the main PCB (or there should be) as these can get quite hot.
Without looking, you may have a faulty fan.
What size cable have you got supplying it?

You need a white goods engineer that knows what he's doing :smile:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I'll be honest.
I am a fully qualified/ insured / experienced electrician. But I would be more concerned with the appliance/hob, than the electrics if I were you. As mentioned, wouldn't use for the time being, but would be more than happy to help with any electrical problems. Would probably check out the hob 1st tho'.
pm if you like
paul

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hi Weststander,
I believe that problems can occur after about 3 years with induction hobs.
As it seems you have the drawer and plastic tray in the same place since install, it would seem that maybe the coil on one of the plates is on the way out, thus the heat is escaping and melting your plastic tray.
Part of the melted tray may still be in contact with the coil and so when it heats up you would get the burning smell.
Best not to use the appliance and google a firm that deals in repairs, it might just need a new part.....then you would have to weigh up the cost of repair against the age (still fairly new) and cost of replacement.
It might not cost too much to repair.
I might be wrong with diagnosis, but best not to use until looked at.
Could be the fan on the way out and not cooling properly as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi Weststander,
I believe that problems can occur after about 3 years with induction hobs.
As it seems you have the drawer and plastic tray in the same place since install, it would seem that maybe the coil on one of the plates is on the way out, thus the heat is escaping and melting your plastic tray.
Part of the melted tray may still be in contact with the coil and so when it heats up you would get the burning smell.
Best not to use the appliance and google a firm that deals in repairs, it might just need a new part.....then you would have to weigh up the cost of repair against the age (still fairly new) and cost of replacement.
It might not cost too much to repair.
I might be wrong with diagnosis, but best not to use until looked at.
Could be the fan on the way out and not cooling properly as well.

As with the other advice, very helpful, thanks.

It was a new appliance, lost-cost but highly rated by Which? three years ago.

So unlike say a tumble dryer or integrated dishwasher going wrong, replacing the hob altogether wouldn't be a financial 'body blow' to us.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
As with the other advice, very helpful, thanks.

It was a new appliance, lost-cost but highly rated by Which? three years ago.

So unlike say a tumble dryer or integrated dishwasher going wrong, replacing the hob altogether wouldn't be a financial 'body blow' to us.

Worth repairing then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worth repairing then.

I'll give the manufacturer a call. If it all adds up to a faulty appliance, I will probably just replace the hob.

Should that happen, if someone on NSC is handy with electrics and likes doing things up for reuse, they can have the faulty hob. Either that, or it's off to the appliance skip at the B&HCC tip.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'll give the manufacturer a call. If it all adds up to a faulty appliance, I will probably just replace the hob.

Should that happen, if someone on NSC is handy with electrics and likes doing things up for reuse, they can have the faulty hob. Either that, or it's off to the appliance skip at the B&HCC tip.

Don't get too disheartened, it may just be a part of the hob, or part in the fan that needs replacing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't get too disheartened, it may just be a part of the hob, or part in the fan that needs replacing.

Genuinely fairly relaxed over this. Going back to my OP, we were relieved to find out where the burning smell was coming from, as on day one (yesterday), we couldn't trace its source, from the myriad of ceiling lights, appliances and hidden wiring in a large room. Then you and a few other NSC'ers have given me very helpful advice. I realise it's a 'throwaway society' act, but if it's faulty, it would give us comfort to start afresh with a new hob, but with no inclination to spend on an expensive one.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
If it is a cooling fan, it is worth fixing.
There are not many parts in an induction hob.
you'll have 4 coils for your heating zones, normally 2 power PCB's and an interface PCB.
The coils and power PCBs can be mega bucks. I fixed a Bosch induction hob a few months back and the power board was close to £400. It was a top end appliance though.
If it is a board, it really isn't worth repairing unless yo have some kind of parts warranty.
Most manufacturers will provide a 5 years parts warranty so you just pay for their call out which would generally be in the region of £90 ish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here