Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Why, in the 21st century, people need to be part of a society 'commemorating' incidents of religious and political division from half a millenia ago.

It's called tradition and culture.
About as relevant as football fans celebrating their disgust of each other because they happen to be geographically closest.
A bit of fun, nothing more

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why, in the 21st century, people need to be part of a society 'commemorating' incidents of religious and political division from half a millenia ago.

Because "it's my right and tradition" will say the pomparse ********, who if he actually bothered to trace his family tree would discover his family were neigh on wiped out in said incident or is second generation Hungarian or something like that.... Fools the lot of them harking back to horrible times, celebrating horrible deeds... Madness

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Lets do away with all our local traditions, Lewes Bonfire, Scottish Hogmanay, the cheese rolling(wherever they do that), Up Helia ,Notting Hill Carnival,cos, no doubt someone, somewhere will be upset or annoyed by it, and we can't have people being upset.
One of Lewes Bonfire great assets is that it is for Sussex people, not tourists daytrippers, and JCLs, it hasn't been overly sanitised and Disney-fied, to please the marketing men, and long may it remain so

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lewes bonfire night was my first experience of LSD many years ago. I honestly don't remember who they burnt, may have been Tony Blair...:mad:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lets do away with all our local traditions, Lewes Bonfire, Scottish Hogmanay, the cheese rolling(wherever they do that), Up Helia ,Notting Hill Carnival,cos, no doubt someone, somewhere will be upset or annoyed by it, and we can't have people being upset.
One of Lewes Bonfire great assets is that it is for Sussex people, not tourists daytrippers, and JCLs, it hasn't been overly sanitised and Disney-fied, to please the marketing men, and long may it remain so

I see your location is Worthing, over 60 by any chance ? Read the mail do we ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I see your location is Worthing, over 60 by any chance ? Read the mail do we ?

No, no ,and no. A young and youthful 55, born in Ringmer, never voted Tory and never would, and I wouldnt use the Mail to wipe my backside as it might infect me with right wing bigotism

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I hate Lewes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

One of the best events I have been to is the common riding in Selkirk. It celebrates the memorial of the Fallen of Flodden, whereby the Scots were destroyed by the English. A fantastic event over three days. Whisky drinking, beer guzzling, horse stomping and flag waving at it's very best.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No, no ,and no. A young and youthful 55, born in Ringmer, never voted Tory and never would, and I wouldnt use the Mail to wipe my backside as it might infect me with right wing bigotism

Apologise but 55 is close to 60, five years time you will be reading the mail with the rest of Worthing

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Which has made the rather abusive Scottish "45%" rather angry on Twitter.....despite they would probably do the same thing to David Cameron.

B1sJa0HIMAEmp9F.jpg

I thought it was Humpty Dumpty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here