Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember the uproar when they used a caravan with a face peering out of the window because the registration plate was P1 KEY.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive seen shrek blown up and others.

I dont have a problem with people being offended, they play their part, in that they are offended and can do F all about it. Imagine a world where all offence was acted upon?

Oh I see LI has thrown his lot in with Tin pot nationalism. Maybe if he had any principles he could make a Guy out of em and burn that.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
he is a nasty little toad ...............did anyone hear him on the Sunday politics

He is a nasty little fascist toad. Probably one of the worse slimey weezley characters ever seen in politics.

And as he said on Sunday he won't rest until Scotland is a Republic.

Bad man, here's hoping that voodoo comes good tonight and he spontaneously remotely combusts in real life....

TNBA

TTF

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As someone who admittedly doesn't understand bonfire, can you let me know if there are any limits to who can be blown up respectfully?

If the criteria for selecting effigies is anyone or anything topical as you are intimating, could we and should we expect to see Alan Henning incinerated? How about an Ebola victim or Robin Williams?

What's so hard to understand.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
B1sJa0HIMAEmp9F.jpg

Why are they burning the Late Bob Hoskins anyway? ???

Why Salmond and not Norman Baker?

If you want to burn an effigy of a politician.....
It's been Norman Baker's ambition for YEARS to be blown up in effigy at Lewes. All of the bonfire societies understand this and therefore choose never to give him the satisfaction he craves.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Yeah but Salmond does not represent the state in this context, he represents the danger to it. He is being burned like Guy Fawkes, for being (perceived as) a subversive and conspirator.

I am totally for everyone's right to burn a effigy of anything. I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to, just that by doing so it sends a rather ugly message, when you consider the context.

Jesus. It's an effigy! I'd be chuffed if someone made one of me.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Absolute nonsense. He's being burned because he's a pompous fool who's made headlines lately. It's what they do.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I guess that's what I'm talking about. In the actual context of things, he is disliked for trying to "break up" the union.

The idea that he is universally accepted as being a tw*t is true only to those who hate him for - trying to "break up the union".

Someone in this thread called him a fascist? & Scotland being a Republic would somehow be awful. These are matters of opinion.

My point is, I see it as quite a political point being made, and it comes across as being kind of nationalistic when Brits burn a Scot, apparently for wanting Scottish independence.

I understand that it's all kind of fair game for the Lewis Bonfire, but the fact that he has been considered worthy, for what he has tried to do, I think it reflects badly on those who would chose him. But that's just my opinion.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think you're reading far, far too much into it.

He's being burnt because it's topical. No more, no less.

I think you are right, but hence my criticism of it. It looks worse than it really is, or it's going to, to some people.

Why, in the 21st century, people need to be part of a society 'commemorating' incidents of religious and political division from half a millenia ago.
As always, the slogan LEST WE FORGET features strongly in the statements being made by all of the bonfire societies. The centenary of the outbreak of WW1 will be remembered in particular. Respectfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here