Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Which has made the rather abusive Scottish "45%" rather angry on Twitter.....despite they would probably do the same thing to David Cameron.

B1sJa0HIMAEmp9F.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm hardly surprised they are offended. Yes Lewis would do David Cameron, but do you think Edinburgh or Glasgow would?

They'd probably have the sense not to, it sends an ugly message and it's pretty disrespectful.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he is a nasty little toad ...............did anyone hear him on the Sunday politics

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Burning effigies is a bit strange I find, especially since you usually see that sort of thing on the news in some backward state.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm hardly surprised they are offended. Yes Lewis would do David Cameron, but do you think Edinburgh or Glasgow would?

They'd probably have the sense not to, it sends an ugly message and it's pretty disrespectful.

Oh, get over yourself. As others have said, effigies of all sorts of politicians have been burnt over the years in Lewes. It's not my cup of tea but the whole point is disrespect. Ironic that your avatar is Murray Rothbard who probably would have approved of this mild sedition. In fact, I'm pretty certain he would have. He wrote this after all:

“The gravest crimes in the State’s lexicon are almost invariably not invasions of private person or property, but dangers to its own contentment, for example...subversion and subversive conspiracy”

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Gotta love let's celebrate burning catholics alive night.... Strange indeed why in this age you would want to do anything like this is beyond me

Wow do you remember the fuss the unionist types made about that banner of Nick Robinson? maybe the Yes lot should have burned that and given heart attacks to all the ageing No voters - could have been enough to swing the result

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Gotta love let's celebrate burning catholics alive night.... Strange indeed why in this age you would want to do anything like this is beyond me

I always thought it was to commemorate the seventeen protestant martys burnt by the Catholics in Queen Marys reign, you know, Bloody Mary. They were real people burnt, not effigies

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think you will find it was 17 Protestants who were burnt alive by Queen Mary.

This isn't the first bonfire tableau of the year to feature Alex Salmond. The one I saw also included David Cameron and Mary Berry.

And, if you think that featuring in a bonfire tableau means you're a figure of hate, you don't understand bonfire. Firle commemorated the 50th anniversary of Mary Poppins by blowing her up. Respectfully.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Oh, get over yourself. As others have said, effigies of all sorts of politicians have been burnt over the years in Lewes. It's not my cup of tea but the whole point is disrespect. Ironic that your avatar is Murray Rothbard who probably would have approved of this mild sedition. In fact, I'm pretty certain he would have. He wrote this after all:

“The gravest crimes in the State’s lexicon are almost invariably not invasions of private person or property, but dangers to its own contentment, for example...subversion and subversive conspiracy”

Yeah but Salmond does not represent the state in this context, he represents the danger to it. He is being burned like Guy Fawkes, for being (perceived as) a subversive and conspirator.

I am totally for everyone's right to burn a effigy of anything. I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to, just that by doing so it sends a rather ugly message, when you consider the context.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Jeeessss - some people need to stop finding offense in everything. When I was a kid we burnt a guy - does that mean everyone called Guy should be offended ?

I'm pretty sure there were some celebrations in Scotland when Thatcher died - I'd suggest cheering someone's death is slightly more offensive than burning an effigy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah but Salmond does not represent the state in this context, he represents the danger to it. He is being burned like Guy Fawkes, for being (perceived as) a subversive and conspirator.

I am totally for everyone's right to burn a effigy of anything. I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to, just that by doing so it sends a rather ugly message, when you consider the context.

So does burning Mary Berry send an ugly message to bakers ?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
This isn't the first bonfire tableau of the year to feature Alex Salmond. The one I saw also included David Cameron and Mary Berry.

And, if you think that featuring in a bonfire tableau means you're a figure of hate, you don't understand bonfire. Firle commemorated the 50th anniversary of Mary Poppins by blowing her up. Respectfully.

As someone who admittedly doesn't understand bonfire, can you let me know if there are any limits to who can be blown up respectfully?

If the criteria for selecting effigies is anyone or anything topical as you are intimating, could we and should we expect to see Alan Henning incinerated? How about an Ebola victim or Robin Williams?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here