Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train travel - saturday

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unbelievable as it may seem, the numpties at Network Rail have decided to carry out engineering works this Saturday and buses will replace trains from Barnham to Brighton.

Now why they have scheduled (not emergency - scheduled) works on a matchday is baffling, and why Barber didn't have a Service Level Agreement in place to guarantee train services were provided on matchdays when handing over a large wad to Southern from our "travel tax" is equally so!

Speaking to the Southern barrier man at Worthing last night, Southern are intending to put on 3, yes, that's THREE buses an hour from Worthing.

So that's capacity for what 200 - 240 passengers an hour? And that's assuming that the buses are starting from Worthing although I suspect the services will start from Barnham and therefore be full long before arriving in Worthing.

Not looking good for the west coastway train brigade. Not good at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It might seem unbelievable to you, but it seems to gain more credibility on here, with every new thread started about it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to one of my sons who worked for a company contracted to BR these plans are made 15 months in advance and 3 months allowed for objections so that is 12 months clear before the work commences. These would have been arranged August 2013 and up to November 2013 to raise an objection, which obviously the club had no grounds for.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Work has been planned 2 years in advance. The Football League take travel into account, as well as the club. The club could have raised an issue, but since Falmer wasnt directly affected they havent.

Network Rail certainly arent to blame here. Oh, and extra buses will be on standby and a couple of extra Seagull Travel coaches are running. 4 buses an hour are planned - remember that matchday tickets are also accepted on local bus services from Worthing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Work has been planned 2 years in advance. The Football League take travel into account, as well as the club. The club could have raised an issue, but since Falmer wasnt directly affected they havent.

Network Rail certainly arent to blame here. Oh, and extra buses will be on standby and a couple of extra Seagull Travel coaches are running. 4 buses an hour are planned - remember that matchday tickets are also accepted on local bus services from Worthing.

Not on the 700 coastliner to Brighton I dont think although I could be wrong as I use my OAP bus pass when using that bus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Well we had that problem from Three Bridges to Brighton for a number of weekends! Enjoy your replacement bus whilst we will be heading down to the Amex on the train again! Chooo Chooooo

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
According to one of my sons who worked for a company contracted to BR these plans are made 15 months in advance and 3 months allowed for objections so that is 12 months clear before the work commences. These would have been arranged August 2013 and up to November 2013 to raise an objection, which obviously the club had no grounds for.

One problem with that, BR hasn't existed for nearly 20 years

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm probably the only one affected (chaileyjem might be as well), but why do we always manage to have a home game when Chailey have their bonfire night? It means I have to go home via Coldean Lane, the A27, A23 and Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath or via Handcross, rather than straight back up the A275. Okay, it isn't that big a deal, but it seems to happen every year (it happened most years when we were at Withdean too). One year I hadn't realised and ended up having to go via Westmeston, and boy does that road wind all over the place.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Yes shocking that important rail infrastructure work that is essential for the benefit of millions of rail users is scheduled during an off peak period of travel to the detriment of probably 4k or so football fans. How dare they.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well we had that problem from Three Bridges to Brighton for a number of weekends! Enjoy your replacement bus whilst we will be heading down to the Amex on the train again! Chooo Chooooo

Booooooooooooo! Blobby OUT!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'm probably the only one affected (chaileyjem might be as well), but why do we always manage to have a home game when Chailey have their bonfire night? It means I have to go home via Coldean Lane, the A27, A23 and Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath or via Handcross, rather than straight back up the A275. Okay, it isn't that big a deal, but it seems to happen every year (it happened most years when we were at Withdean too). One year I hadn't realised and ended up having to go via Westmeston, and boy does that road wind all over the place.

Ha! Yes I will be.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There were rail replacement buses for:

Middlesboro (H)
Watford (A)
Spurs (A) (on the return journey)

It's a shit sandwich that we all have to take a bite from a few times a season.

EDIT: Just seen that it will be buses between Brighton and Three Bridges for Charlton away (10/01/15)

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here