Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper situation

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
What are people's thoughts on this? I assume Al-Habsi has been guranteed first team action for the short time that he is here? Has the club made the right decision by giving Walton a taste of first team action but ultimately replacing him? For me I wish we'd have stuck with him until Stockdale returns, think he could be a big asset to us in years to come. Of course there is a risk of mistakes with young keepers but I doubt he'll be too impressed with putting in two solid performances and getting dropped?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Walton isn't thick, he knows where he stands and should he be dropped on Saturday, won't let it affect him. He has time on his side and these little tastes of first-team football will make him even hungrier to push on and try to win a place in the starting XI.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will depend on how SH and NJ have spoken to him about it. My view is Al Habsi will sign for the season and then join us in the summer and Ankergren will go in January. So next year we will have Stockdale Al Habsi and Walton. Unless we are fortunate enough for somebody to offer us our money back on Stockdale.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Walton isn't thick, he knows where he stands and should he be dropped on Saturday, won't let it affect him. He has time on his side and these little tastes of first-team football will make him even hungrier to push on and try to win a place in the starting XI.

Yes but there is purported Premiership interest in him. Would he rather be in ours or Arsenal's reserves? Think we need to play some of the younger players ahead of the short term loanees for the future of the club. I can understand wanting the experience of Al-Habsi but think we should play Walton in the FA Cup at the very least.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Will depend on how SH and NJ have spoken to him about it. My view is Al Habsi will sign for the season and then join us in the summer and Ankergren will go in January. So next year we will have Stockdale Al Habsi and Walton. Unless we are fortunate enough for somebody to offer us our money back on Stockdale.

Doubtful as I'd imagine Al-Habsi is on pretty decent wages and neither him or Stockdale will want to be no 2 at a Championship club. Time will tell though.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Our position near the foot of the table is critical right now and we need all the goalkeeping experience and ability we can get. Al Habsi was a good signing and it is great to see Walton play well in a couple of games.

If Walton moves to the bench on Saturday I would not see it that he has been dropped but that a far more experienced player has been chosen for the team. Al Habsi has played with some distinction in the Premiership and surely Walton will be able to recognise that.

If we were comfortably mid-table I would see more sense in giving youth a chance, the unfortunate fact is that we are not and are not likely to be for some little while.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Our position near the foot of the table is critical right now and we need all the goalkeeping experience and ability we can get. Al Habsi was a good signing and it is great to see Walton play well in a couple of games.

If Walton moves to the bench on Saturday I would not see it that he has been dropped but that a far more experienced player has been chosen for the team. Al Habsi has played with some distinction in the Premiership and surely Walton will be able to recognise that.

If we were comfortably mid-table I would see more sense in giving youth a chance, the unfortunate fact is that we are not and are not likely to be for some little while.

Cant disagree with any of that.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I just don't get the point of having 3 goalkeepers if, when one gets injured, we have to get another one in on loan. Play the ones we have.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here