Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Referees and the 'advantage' rule

0 Not allowed!
    Are these guys making it up as they go along? I just can't see any coherence or logic in how the directive to play the advantage has been implemented in the matches I've seen.

In the last two games at The Amex we've seen fast breakaways from deep in our half brought back for free-kicks when on both occasions it was clear the advantage needed to be played, yet when players are fouled around the penalty area but stay on their feet the refs normally let play go on.

I like the rule but, yet again, inconsistent application is a killer.
    "Unlawful, void and of no effect"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

5 Not allowed!
      It was a wonderful moment in the match last night when Joe Bennett looked to have skilfully evaded two challenges to break into a huge amount of space in front of him, only for it to be bought back for a perceived foul on him. Utterly inexcusable as the referee has a choice to let it play out.

We pay our money to see skills like that, it felt like I'd been robbed of a special moment.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It was a wonderful moment in the match last night when Joe Bennett looked to have skilfully evaded two challenges to break into a huge amount of space in front of him, only for it to be bought back for a perceived foul on him. Utterly inexcusable as the referee has a choice to let it play out.

We pay our money to see skills like that, it felt like I'd been robbed of a special moment.
      A referee ruining the spectacle of a football match? I simply won't hear of it.
      Eternally hopeful...
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I think the performance of last night's referee may have been overlooked in either the excitement of finally winning a game, or the torpor of another basically unexciting performance.

He was truly shocking.
      Objective but passionate

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rippleman View Post
      I think the performance of last night's referee may have been overlooked in either the excitement of finally winning a game, or the torpor of another basically unexciting performance.

He was truly shocking.
      http://www.northstandchat.com/conten...tic-04-11-2014

The crowd were on their feet again minutes later, when Joe Bennett showed great feet, to jink through three challenges, before the referee brought an abrupt halt to a promising situation, by pulling back play for an earlier foul on the left back.
      Referee Lee Collins then took centre stage - drawing ire from the stands for his verdict on Adam Forshaw's disgusting tackle from behind on Elliott Bennett, directly in front of the Wigan bench. Collins had to this point, seemed determined to keep his cards in his pocket - in stark contrast to Keith Stroud at Bournemouth - the inconsistency between officials must drive players and clubs mad. On this occassion though, after 70 minutes it was only a matter of which colour - Collins' lenient choice of yellow, incensing the Albion bench, and leading to an angry flare up between Nathan Jones and Uwe Rossler. The Latic's under-pressure manager was furious at the Albion staff's calls for red, but when he watches the incident back, he'll surely admit that his player was extremely fortunate.
      Stand or Fall

0 Not allowed!

To be fair to the ref, there was moment just before he beat the second man that Bennett looked like he was going to lose control of the ball, and it was at that moment the ref blew for a foul. I do remember the ref holding his hand up to Bennett as if to say sorry.
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Theatre of Trees View Post
      To be fair to the ref, there was moment just before he beat the second man that Bennett looked like he was going to lose control of the ball, and it was at that moment the ref blew for a foul. I do remember the ref holding his hand up to Bennett as if to say sorry.
      That's what I thought. I honestly thought he had lost it with the third man and before I knew it he had rounded him and the whistle gone.

To the larger point of refs and advantage, I think that a degree of inconsistency should be expected. Firstly because the refs are all individuals, with their own interpretation, and characters. Yes, they should all be applying the same laws, but watch soccer saturday or any football with a few pundits in and you'll see they often disagree, too. Fans on here disagree, and we can all see the laws and how they are meant to be applied.

Secondly, I would like to see some of the referees' critics actually take on a match, and see how well they play the advantage when 8 players on one team turn around and claim a foul, while 23,000 people call for a foul, and only one player actually plays on, see how well they manage to get that balance between making a quick decision and taking their time to make a more considered decision. We often here commentators/pundits complain about how referees are too quick to make a decision, but any time the officials take a moment you get "finally the ref blows his whistle" "eventually the referee makes up his mind", even if he gets it right.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

0 Not allowed!
      No it wasn't. Bennett was 5 yards past the last man, 30 yards from me, when he blew. It wasn't the only time he had trouble finding his mouth with the whistle

0 Not allowed!
      He didn't wait to see. That's what was frustrating.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      It's interesting how the advantage rule compares with rugby vs football. In the former, a referee will generally let play go on until he's certain that no advantage has been gained - and only then bring play back for the original foul.
      Football demands an instant decision - and if there's no advantage but the ref has waved play-on, sobeit.
      I can't help thinking a move towards rugby's way would benefit the game. It would encourage attackers to try to stay on their feet rather than always play for the foul, and encourage refs to take their time more. I can't really think of a downside to be honest, although sure others will!