Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From child abuse, cancer, alcoholism and a nervous breakdown and back to NSC

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
For the attention of all NSC regulars – particularly those who were active between 2003 and 2005.
Many of you were there for me during my personal troubles, first with my descent in alcoholism (there is a bloody long thread about it somewhere on here) and later my marriage break-up. More recently many more stepped forward to help during my nervous breakdown.
I have never forgotten the support shown to me by so many posters on this forum, most of us complete strangers and only brought together by our common love of the Albion. Even at matches strangers would come up and introduce themselves to me and offer support (think the OTLW on the back of my shirt was a give away!) And for some of us it was also the start of an enduring friendship.
I had been a newspaper and magazine editor for over 28 years but last Winter, I quit my job as editor of a North Wales’ flagship weekly following a complete and unexpected nervous breakdown in the newsroom some six months earlier.
I began the slow road to recovery under the watchful eyes of my doctor and the support of my family and many close friends. Part of the suggested therapy was to begin writing and talking about the life experiences which had led to my breakdown.
From childhood sexual abuse, through cancer, alcoholism, bereavement, bankruptcy, divorce, repossession of my home, the loss of two of my children and an assault which almost took my life, I guess there was a lot to write about. And in hindsight I had held the breakdown at bay for far too long.
I started my own blog www.seagullnic.wordpress.com just over a year ago and began to chronicle my life in a series of long stories.
I also used the blog as a conduit for my own creative writing and the odd bits of poetry. Then after about 10,000 blog hits and 100 regular followers I was gobsmacked to find that the poetry was receiving all the positive feedback.
Close family, random friends and complete strangers suggested I should publish the poems “properly” as a book. But from my own experience in publishing I knew that most international book publishers will not touch new poets with an electric cattle prod! So I decided to publish the book myself.
Anyway, here it is (I hope Bozza doesn’t mind this one small plug)
The Hill: Songs and Poems of Darkness and Light is 100 pages of angst, joy, reflection and opinion. Order your copy now for just £3.99 plus £1.80 P&P (Australia and USA postage rates £3.65).
I will personally sign your copy upon request and a percentage of net proceeds will go to MIND (the mental health charity) and Alcoholics Anonymous.
To order please PM me here or email me directly at nicoutterside@writeahead.co.uk or telephone 077 83183102 to arrange a Paypal payment and instant shipping.
Further details at my own website: www.writeahead.co.uk

Welcome back, Nic. You've had a hell of a lot of experiences that most of us wouldn't want to cope with. And you're now letting us know how you've managed. Thanks for the gifts you are sharing with us.

Good luck with it all

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had no idea you went though all of that, much respect for pulling though and making a positive of it all. Good luck and don't disappear from here again!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Never knew you'd been through so much, very best of luck for the future mate :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Almost forgot... there is one Albion poem tucked away in the book simply called Goldstone Memories.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I remember you posting before linking to a blog post about your history with child abuse- I sent the link to a friend who had suffered something similar in her childhood and she said reading your blog was incredibly moving and cathartic so thank you for sharing and I'm glad things are more positive for you now.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Just received my first two NSC orders in today's post. Both being mailed out this morning by First Class post. Many thanks indeed.:bigwave:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
All the best with the book buddy,I'm sure it will be a great success

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I cant wait for the film! Best of luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here